Tell us about your Holiday plans

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Tell us about your Holiday plans

Post by Wolfmiester »

After reading a few tales about folks about to go on holiday/vacation (cruises, camping, walking, sun bathing, geneology etc) it gave me a "feel good factor" just hearing about them and thinking of the various exoctic locations.
So I thought I'd start a thread so those that are inclined can let us know about their forth coming trips;

Over to you team ....
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Tell us about your Holiday plans

Post by Paul Victory »

Not that exotic, but I'm off to my usual haunt in the Algarve next week.

Plenty of sun, lots of nice meals, plenty of wine and the occasional appearance in the local karaoke bar. :mrgreen:

Oh, and there's a Model C on site, so I might get in a smallish amount of erging while I'm there.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Paul, you keep off that model C and give me time to create a yawning gap in the Nonathlon :twisted:

Had a great week in Cornwall in June-Wooden Lodge-hot tub-use your imgination-great fun :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
kingy2
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by kingy2 »

Just had a few days in Venice which was very pleasent. Wolfie, you were quite right about the cost but I guess that goes for everywhere in the Euro zone.

Really impressed with the place, not at all Disneyfied and not at all smelly.

Next month I'm off to Canada, flying into Vancouver for four nights, seven night cruise up to Alaska then another night in Vancouver. Train across the Rockies via Kamloops & Banff, flight to Toronto for a night and then back to Blighty.

Blimey, that's it, in two lines.... how come it's costing so much :shock: There's a gym on the cruise but apart from that I doubt I'll be that active :oops:
45 5'8(172.7cm) 163lbs (74 Kg): Targets for May, sub 41min 10K, sub 20min 5K
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

We leave on the 17th for two weeks in Italy, near Livorno.

Nothing special in terms of accommodation (Eurocamp mobile home thing) but first time to Italy for the kids so we're just trying it out.

Hope to take in Pisa, Florence, Sienna and if we're brave Rome.

Hope also that the kids make some friends and disappear regularly leaving me to think about my technique and how much quicker I could be if I didn't drink the beer that will be in my hand at the time.

It's been manic and highly stressful at work since March so the holiday can't come early enough!
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Going camping in the lakes near Penrith.
First time camper.taking both kids with us when the eldest gets back from his cruise with his Grandparents.(same cruise as plummy).
bought loads of gear for the trip .hope it is not a wash out.
and hope the weather holds out as well [-o<
there will definately be no erging.
Worked hard this year and need a break.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Well all those are better than my wash out week so I DEMAND another holiday from Mr JR !!!

actually 3 nights in Paris in sept are on the cards if im good

never been before but he has ! alledgedly !
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
webberg

Post by webberg »

JR, I'd be interested in 3 nights in Paris, but I'd rather take a bad girl than a good! :twisted: :oops:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Jessica-Red wrote: [...]actually 3 nights in Paris in sept are on the cards if im good [''']
This place is great: http://www.hotel-leveque.com/

One side of the entry is a wine store, the other a boulangerie....
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
Mikey
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Mikey »

Off to Arizona with our golf clubs next month. Just checked, it's currently 34 degrees....at midnight :evil:

Hey Kingy, that Canadian trip sounds fantastic. Don't know if you'll have the time but if you do, pre-book dinner in the CN Tower in Toronto. I guarantee it'll be a great finale to the trip :fswink:
48, 6'1 15st.
PB's
kingy2

Post by kingy2 »

Thanks Mikey,

The CN tower was in the frame but they've brought the flight forward :evil: Still, they could change again.
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

We're back...

No erg at the campsite gym, but plenty of running - so overall a tad of weight lost! :D lots of stuff done/seen/tasted 8) , kids are more tanned than me though :evil:

Now need to unpack car, do the washing, upload photos, delete emails, phone the plumber....
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
plummy

Post by plummy »

Well seven days of lounging around on a cruise ship and eating up to 5 puddings a day (there's SOOO much choice and it's ALL so gorgeous) has put a couple of kilos on (still a LWT I'm happy to say). Visited Dubrovnik/Crete/Corfu/Cephalonia/Katakolon and Athens in a week. Average temp was mid thirties so I'm a bit crispy around the shoulders.

The GOOD news is Ocean Village have been good enough to fit 2 x Concept 2 model D's in the gym so although I didn't even look until the third day, I managed 37k whilst on board (otherwise it would be about 5 kilos of weight added).

Good to be back (sort of) but took today off also to catch up on a couple of films

Looked for for step son Hewitt but didn't see him

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

Sounds like a great holiday Plummy - do they throw in open heart surgery as part of the package?
pb times
kirbyt
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

I pretty much posted this elsewhere but I don't spend enough time in the Sanctuary as it is so...

Jenny and I are flying to London on Oct. 22, three nights in a central hotel that is amazingly expensive and not even very fancy (London is expensive) but it has an erg. :P Then two nights in fabulous Birmingham, some kind of indoor rowing event there that I just might enter. Then across the channel (chunnel?) to Paris for eight nights, staying near the Eiffel tower to unleash my incredibly rusty and atrocious French on an unsuspecting populace. Planning on eating lots of cheese, pastry, bread, chocolate and drinking lots of red wine. I'm actually expecting to be a HWT for the November CTC (Say hello to FS8).
54 years old probably around 77kg.
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

Off to Lake Garda on Wednesday for a week. Seven days of Italian food. Can't wait... =P~
kingy2

Post by kingy2 »

AlanS wrote:Off to Lake Garda on Wednesday for a week. Seven days of Italian food. Can't wait... =P~
We stopped off there, for the night a couple of years ago. The plan was to drive on to Venice the following morning. The area was so nice we just stayed there for the whole time.

Enjoy :mrgreen:
webberg

Post by webberg »

Just back from 14 days of Italian food, sunshine and sights.

Average temps were about 28 degrees by 11am - wall to wall sunshine.

Kids had a great time in the pool and then we went to the sights - Elba, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, etc.

Arrive back on Sunday to wet weather and cold.

Also managed to crook my knee.

Back on the erg tonight I hope but my garage is a million miles from Tuscany (although I suspect that my wife will be laying plans to emigrate there very soon.)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Not precisely a holiday, but I'm flying to Louisville on September 17th for 5 days in order to watch 24 grown men chase a small white ball around a field.

Really looking forward to it, but I'm very disappointed that Darren Clarke is not going to be there. Nick Faldo is something of a law unto himself and I hope he's not going to suck all the fun out of it.

No erg, but plenty of walking. I'll probably follow Harrington around if the galleries aren't too big.

Paul V
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

How is that NOT a holiday Paul??
I'm very jealous! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Agree about Clarke, but the Captain has to make the choice and live or die by it.
I still think Europe has a very strong team.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

When I said not a holiday, I meant it's more of a short break than a full holiday. :mrgreen:

It will be the 2nd Ryder Cup I've attended, the other one being two years ago when it was somewhat closer to home. :)

Feelings have been running pretty high in Ireland about the wild card selections and the consensus view seems to be that not only did Faldo make a decision that most people would disagree with, but that he appears to have made the decision for the wrong reasons (e.g. appoint a mate in preference to a stronger candidate, etc. - I won't bore you with all the accusations that have been made, but you've probably seen some of them yourself). :roll:

I won't let it spoil the trip for me, but I don't imagine I will be cheering too loudly when they call out Faldo's name at the opening ceremony. I hope Poulter performs well and I really, really hope (fingers crossed) that Faldo shows better judgement in choosing the fourball/foursomes pairings than he appears to have shown in his wild card selections.

I have a feeling that the absense of Woods may well be a motivating factor for the US team and that it is going to be a lot tougher match than some pundits are predicting.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Really enjoyed the few days in Kentucky, although I would have enjoyed it even more if the overall result had gone our way and Mr Harrington had picked up a few more points.

Atmosphere was really intense and generally good natured, although I found myself gritting my teeth from time to time when a sizeable proportion of the crowd cheered every time a European player missed a putt or hit a bad approach shot.

I heard afterwards that Paul Azinger had told the crowd at the pre tournament "pep rally" that it was OK to cheer when the UK team won a hole due to an opponent missing a putt. I really feel he crossed a line there that shouldn't have been crossed and I guess it validates the comment made several years ago (I think it was by Seve Ballesteros) that the US team consisted of 11 gentlemen and Paul Azinger.

I was actually in 4th street when the rally was on and the atmosphere was electric, if a bit like a college football game (which I guess is what they were trying to achieve).

Anyway, we'll whup them when they come over to Wales in two years time and will do so without the crowd having to resort to ungentlemanly behaviour. :mrgreen:

Paul V
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

I look forward to sharing a beer with you Paul for more details!

I'm off on Thursday for the annual golf trip with the boys. Portugal, Villamoura this year. We always go in Oct to try and guarantee some sun, BIRC training just has to take a back seat for a week #-o
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thank you, Citizen Smith (see, I remember!)

I hope you have a great time in Vilamoura. I love the Algarve and hope to get over there sometime between now and next summer. I was toying with the idea of heading over for the Portuguese Masters, but the timing doesn't really work out.

I'm hoping to make it to BIRC, but at this stage it looks like it might be more for social than for competitive reasons. If I do make it, I'll be happy to bend your ear about my travails in Valhalla.

Paul V
kingy2

Post by kingy2 »

3 nights in Marrakesh, flying out on Saturday morning :D

Hopefully a few days light sunshine before Christmas. £30 return, I paid more than that for a cab home from my Christmas do on Friday :roll: