What are your priorities for 2023/4 Season

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Surprised not to see a topic such as the above being raised. I guess it is part of the lack of engagement noted from time to time.

For me I came into the season having only just returned to lightweight after 4 months of regular rowing, having worked up to doing an HM and being comfortable doing 75min SS rows, but struggling to maintain a rating above 18, about 15S/500m slower than 15 years ago and still improving monthly if not quite as fast as before.

2022-3 started poorly and got worse, hence having a restart at the end of December 2022.

My short term targets were:
Complete all CTCs close to m ability level
Complete 200k per month on average
Complete as many of the CTC challenges as possible.
7k 30 min
21 min 5k
13.5k hour.

Well smashed the hour with >250k in May. Unfortunately failed to complete the horrible April CTC. Managed HM and half century challenges, Didn't feel FM was a good idea as well as the 50km (although managed it when off work in 2021) and 100k was way above my fitness level.

It would be good to see what is on other's agendas.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: What are your priorities for 2023/4 Season

Post by stumpy »

Well now you mention it your Nonathlon scores are my main target, won’t be doing a FM though. So quite looking forward to seeing how that works out. Let the battle commence.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Colin, Let the battle commence :twisted:
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
InlineJinn
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by InlineJinn »

At 63, I'm happy to be able to still put in a decent workout. Friends and family are starting to show their age, though in some cases "It's not the years, it's the miles". I take a statin and a few supplements, and feel grateful that's all I need. I'm a lot more forgiving, and much less compulsive about following a plan. Recovering from an injury takes so much longer, so the obvious answer is to stay in bounds and avoid injury. And of course I'm glad to be part of a rowing community for the encouragement (heart emoji).
Goals:
9 million meters lifetime - requires a touch under 400k this season, very manageable.
Half marathon, just to see if I can still do one. At the moment, 10k in an hour is plenty, so need to work up to it.
Top 100 on the Meterboard
Form, always form - just started taking up the slack before the drive by drawing my shoulder blades together instead of pulling my shoulders back (which tends to make me lean back too soon).
John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Having recently reached the delicate age of 60 and struggling to stay motivated for a long time owing to my asymmetrical drive my "goal" from this season and onwards is simply not to throw in the towel and move to an altogether easier way of staying fit (relative term of course). Many moons ago I used to wake up on training days and be thinking about what distance/time I could attack that evening whereas now it's more "ugh...got to grind something out I suppose". The other factor getting me down is the fact I simply can't shift the extra 2kg that has attached itself to my midriff and meaning any time I put in (being a very very light HWT) is a bit of a nonsense.
I'll consider doing every CTC (regardless of performance) and getting 1 million metres as a success along with just not quitting as alluded to above.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain

Post by Iain »

plummy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:46 amany time I put in (being a very very light HWT) is a bit of a nonsense.
Nonathlon scores and comparisons can be demotivating. You are still very fit when compared with other people your age, you are just comparing yourself to people who are super fit including yourself from a few years back. I had the advantage of a complete reset when I basically stopped rowing for 7 years, but I think we all need to only think about how good a row is for us now. I had not attempted an all out hour for 3 years. Thinking back I think this was a numbers thing as I had in my mind that <14k was slow and that this was not achievable by me for most of that time. That said, I am very happy with the 13,774m I managed yesterday as it shows huge improvement and is about the pace I was doing 1k at when I started back!

You have been a huge inspiration for many in this team for many years, don't let yourself fall into the vicious circle of seeing that you are slower than you were, letting that demotivate you, doing less / less effective training and therefore getting slower to extend the loop. If the mindset is right, we can get the same satisfaction at 2:20 pace for a row well done for us now as we might have achieved at 1:40 in days of yore. I was a bit demotivated when doing the nonathlon as a Heavy last season. I could cope with the reset in points, but found the balance unrealistic as I would rate my 1:49.8 500m up as one of my best results last year, but that gave me by far my lowest score of 713! Conversely my LWt target for HM this year is actually tougher than the Hwt HM from last!

Re weight, I was shocked after my reset to go down 3kg below where I started to lose strength before. I had lost a lot of muscle, so the weight I had put on was far more fat than I realised. Our metabolism will fall as we get older and will fall faster if me lose muscle. As a result we all need to keep an eye on what we eat in a way that was unnecessary 20 years ago. But at least find that if I keep the metres up then the weight takes care of itself, so yes it may take a bit longer and may require more attention to the metal mistress than the body initially wants, but it is doable.

Here's to a regenerated Plummy!

Iain
Pepe
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Pepe »

1. Continue with my usual regime of rowing twice a week. (I divide my sporting activities between rowing and bowls).
2. Complete all CTC’s and Nonathlon challenges (except the FM).
3. Try to beat last season’s Nonathlon score of 8601 points.
4. Win some medals at the XIX Australian Masters Games to be held in Adelaide in October and possibly see Lesley, Clare and Tina
Gallasch there.
5. Last but not least: try and keep up with Stumpy or, at least, snap at his heels :fsbgrin:
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Try to go faster in a 2k - my much preferred distance. Unfortunately not at the Masters games Philip. Still a few years short of retirement so holidays are getting banked for hopefully Larapinta trail next year and summit attempt for Kili in 2025 - I'll be 60 and my daughter will be 30 - its our birthday present to each other :)

Qualify for WRICH again and if I need to go to Prague - I might have to rob a bank or do one of those go fund me pages - never say never

Keep doing the CTC but it would be nice to have another competitive female, not too competitive though :) - Just passed 50 CTC

Find a way to fit in the new training loves of long bike rides - currently 1 x 40k on the weekend - OTW rowing - just finished learn to row and I like the challenge,

More gym time - lifting heavy weights is fun - who knew, someone should have told me earlier.

Another attempt at recapturing my Australian 6k record before I level up to the 60 group
Another attempt at getting under 20 min in a 5K ouch
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

This season's objectives:

Fair probability
Reach 25mm
Complete a full house of CTCs
>7500 30 minute reliability #-o

Stretch (vanishingly unlikely)
Reach 30mm
Sub 7 2k
Tako

Post by Tako »

After struggling for 1,5 years I really hope that this season will be:
- free from injury and illnesses
- full of regular training
- at least 3 PBs (hopefully doing a faster 2k than 6:37.5)
- my first in person event (BRIC and/or WIRC Prag)
- meet others in person
- average of 5-6k a day
- doing as many CTCs as possible but will definitely drop those that harm my body and training (especially rate restricted stuff which is nonsense)
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Mine was simple, as like Plummy I have reached the 60 milestone…age not Million metres!
The high pain sprinting (pour petrol in lungs and set fire) not for me any more.

Keep adding the mileage…reach 15Mm
Stay in 2nd place on the Metreboard
Do as many half marathons as I can (14 so far) - stretch target 100 HMs in this season.

Struggling for time, with my partner having broken her shoulder socket…hospital appointments, Dad’s taxi service etc!

Determination will make it work.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

E-Clair
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by E-Clair »

Goal is to not slip away from a polarized training plan. Lots of UT3/UT2 training. Some L1/L2 training. At most one AT session per month, only if it's a match for some CTC.
e-Clair
He who eats the most custard wins.