LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

Post by Claudius »

Interesting. So I have an imaginary friend. This "friend" said last December, "Look, there's a new member. Imagine, it could be our superhero! This is the Internet. Identities can be hidden. You can walk around with a mask. I think that's fine. My superhero? Here? That impressed me, of course. I am aware of the absurdity, we should not be bored here. My friend can be a bit cheeky, that's where the trickster comes through. And again and again this friend teases me: Imagine - this is our superhero. And I countered with pure logic, no that's absurd, no that doesn't work, it was an interesting thought experiment... In the end, it was a stalemate. Neither of us could win. Even though the thought that my superhero is here among us on our freespirit website is a special thought. Sorry, I know this is a post for women. But who is my superhero ? And Yes, Pride on ! Yes or No ? I say Yes ! I can understand people saying No. Big Boss says Yes !
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Oh please, let's talk about it. Let's not fall into the narrow pattern that society has already fallen into: over-correctness and the inability to have open discourse. I have no problem with incognito accounts. I also have one on a training software and also one on FB (disabled at the moment). It is not my intention to insult any of you, Jill or Jayne! Let's talk seriously and calmly about this whole matter. This matter goes much deeper than a challenge on slides or not. And for all the supposed "insanity" of what I reveal about myself - it is a sign of willingness to communicate. I have not lost my mind. On the contrary - I see the illusion. Jill - if you do not like a conversation in this thread - let me know- there is already a new thread in the member area: viewtopic.php?t=3953
I didnt mean any harm - I am hear to help.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Claudius, thank you for your comments, which I have read through several times.

Firstly, as far as I am concerned, you have not caused any harm or offence but at the same time, I do not wish to enter into a discussion about transgenderism, on this, or any other thread.

I do not have any objections about biological women becoming trans men or biological men becoming trans women but I do take exception when the latter assume that their ‘ rights ‘ take priority over those of biological women.

Here are two examples of trans women, where the authorities abandoned common sense and fairness, in order to worship at the altar of absurdity and wokeness.

American swimmer, Lia Thomas - allowed to enter and win women’s races. Now banned from taking part in women’s events. Too late though for the young women, who had to settle for 2nd 3rd and 4th place.

Englishman, Karen White - after being found guilty and convicted of serious sexual assaults against biological women, was moved from a male to a female prison, where ‘ she ‘ proceeded to molest some of the female inmates. When considering White’s transfer, the authorities said that they had not thought to take ‘ her ‘ previous convictions into account.

Claudius, I have only given brief details here but both cases are easy enough to find on the internet.

All good wishes to you. :)

Jill
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Thank you, Jill, for your response. I know the first example.
(J.R.R.T.)
Carole S
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

Jill wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:32 pm Good morning Carole and apologies for not replying to you sooner. I was about to last Saturday, when a friend phoned me and we were still talking two hours later … which is not unusual. I have known her for 55 years and although she is very dear to me, she can, as they say, ‘ talk the hind leg off a donkey ‘. :fsbgrin:

Have you fully recovered from your granddaughters’ visit? We were visiting Harlow Carr and Benningbrough Hall recently and I had to smile to myself when I frequently heard small voices saying, “ Grandma. " " Grandad. " " Grandma, watch me. “ On the energy front, the grandmas were definitely holding up better than the grandads. :fsbgrin: If children are fortunate enough to have loving grandparents who take an interest in their lives, then hopefully as they grow to adulthood, they will have plenty of happy and funny memories to look back on.

Congratulations on reaching 24 Million Lifetime Metres - my word, that is definitely an A Star Plus Achievement and I admire your Amazing Motivation. ^O^ =D> =D> =D>

I am chasing down 15,000,000m but I fear I’ll be ‘ pushing up the daisies ‘ before I ever reach 24,000,000m. :fsbgrin:

I am also reading an interesting little book called Not Enough Room To Swing A Cat - Naval Slang And Its Everyday Usage, by Martin Robson. It’s what I call a ‘ dipping in ‘ book as you do not necessarily have to read it in a certain order.

If you have your thinking cap handy, see if you know the naval origins of these everyday expressions. No googling but you can ask a friend. :fsbgrin:

Not enough room to swing a cat

Between the devil and the deep blue sea

Slush fund

Jill xx
Well a new term is now about to begin, new uniforms and shoes all bought at great expense and my youngest gd is excited for her first day in reception class tmrw
I hope her future education is as broad as all the topics I seem to have missed here lately !!!!
So Ill start with yr naval quiz Jill which I SHOULD know being a descendant of several naval ancestors ( even back to the days of Lord Nelson)
But I have NO clue on slush fund ???

Between the devil and the deep blue sea I think refers to the poor souls who had to go down under the keel and clean it ??

And all ships carried a cat to tidy up the rats and mice and keep them from eating the supplies but in a hammock no room to share yr bed with our feline friends ???

Be pleased to hear yr correct explanations when you've time

Im currently reading something very different called the Haunting of H G Wells by Robert Masello, came upon by chance, intriguing and good to try something outside my usual....

Thank you for yr congratulations on the 24m Im cutting down a bit and even taken some days off as you suggested a while back
GP has ordered me some hospital tests in the vascular surgery dept so far waited since April to get into.the booking system now a further 35 wk wait to get appt
He says thats normal at mo for non urgent so I console myself that its not deemed urgent at least !!!

Take care chat again soon
I also can both chat and write the hind leg off the proverbial
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Carole, again apologies to you for the tardiness of my reply but I haven’t looked at the Main Forum for a while.

I do hope that your youngest grandaughter is well settled in the reception class and yes, school uniforms and suitable footwear are never cheap. My son’s feet seemed to grow at a rate of knots and when he and his friends took off their shoes and left them in the hall, Richard would say, “ I see that the barges are moored again. “

In fairness to my then, teenage son’s new school, as long as you followed certain guidelines, the uniform did not have to be bought from a specific outfitters. However, when I bought my son ( who wasn’t normally that fashion conscious ) an M & S school jumper, he initially refused to wear it, stating that he couldn’t possibly be seen in something so embarrassing. After much argument, a suitable agreement was reached … I cut out the labels. :fsbgrin: When my son had to start buying his own clothes, he wasn’t quite so fussy.

To wanting ( in the future ) a broader education for your grandaughter, I can only say that you need to be careful what you wish for. :fsgrin: :fswink: At school, as a class of eleven or twelve year olds, the only sex education that we received, came courtesy of Miss Thomas, our biology teacher. She had been a missionary in Africa and although a kind woman, she was also very unworldly; I can see her now, standing in front of the class and talking about rabbits, fusing. Up until then, I thought that the only things that fused were light bulbs. :fsbgrin:

Things have moved on of course but where children are concerned, it has sometimes been far too much information, given far too soon and in the case of teenagers/young adults who are unsure or confused about their sexuality, they haven’t always received wise and considered counselling.

With regards to the naval slang, you were correct about the ‘ devil and deep blue sea ‘ but incorrect about ‘ not enough room to swing a cat ‘. This referred to the cat-o’-nine-tails which measuring about 4 ft in length, was usually too long to use in the cramped spaces below decks. When flogging some unfortunate sailor the only place the cat could be swung with force, was on deck. ‘ Slush fund ‘ referred to the fatty residue left over from cooking meat, which the ship’s cook could then sell to the purser, who used the fat to make candles, which he then sold to the crew, The author mentions someone called Peter Jeans, who points to the possible Scandinavian source of the word ‘ slush ‘ being slus, sluss, or sluske, which means thawing snow or sleet. You have been awarded a Gold Star for humouring me. =D> :fsbgrin: :fswink:

I’ve had a catch up read of various threads and I am sorry that you have been suffering from discomfort in your joints and also frequent migraines. I cannot help you with the latter although I wonder if you have looked on line to see if there are any migraine support groups that could provide some useful information?

How are things going with the diet, only you don’t really need me to tell you that your joints would probably benefit from some weight loss. Ron is right of course and we should be cheering you on. =D> :)

I remember the queen’s coronation as I was four in the April and she was crowned in the June. We had a Bush television which I think had an eight or nine inch screen and some of our neighbours came to watch as well. At the time we had several children’s parties and I have a small black and white photo of myself and my brother; he was dressed as a horse guard ( without the horse ) and I was Little Red Riding Hood, with my basket of comestibles.

We do not have a television so did not watch the queen’s funeral and although I do not regard myself as a monarchist, it will always be so very strange without her. I did listen to Neil Oliver’s monologue and although I have no idea as to whether he is a monarchist or not, I thought that he found the right words to say.

Great going with the Fall Challenge. =D> :) Because of other commitments, it has been a slow start for me and it will hopefully be Tuesday now when Darth Vader and I will be back on the case.

Kind regards,

Jill xx

Jill

Post by Jill »

Jill wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:23 pm I SHOULD know being a descendant of several naval ancestors ( even back to the days of Lord Nelson)
Carole, I thought that I'd asked you about this in my previous post but since now checking ... I haven't. The old bird brained, bird ( me not you ) strikes again. :roll: :lol:

A bit late but here we go. If you have the time or the inclination, would you be kind enough to expand on your comment. Twould be very interesting. :)
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Hi Jill
It is very interesting to me lol but not all my family agree
Its a very.long story but a precis is that in 2004 my Mum asked me to help her do a family tree on the computer, ended up with me addicted to researching and building the tree on Ancestry now c 40k people as on my Mums side through her great grandmother we found a link to a Devon family with not only noble but royal ancestry !!
Even though we are normal everyday folk !
We also have a collection of transportees, bigamists and general ne'er-do-wells
Its been a fascinating journey
One of my naval ancestors joined HMS Gibraltar in Naples whilst Nelson was in town, a whole host of Italian boys joined up together
Another naval person on my tree is Sir Francis Drake but every Devon born girl has him on her tree I expect lol, his niece Elizabeth Bampfield nee Drake is my line
There are very.many more fascinating characters
X
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

See injury thread
Will get my 2nd snowman then prepare to fall far down the meterboard...
Jill

Post by Jill »

Carole S wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:52 pm See injury thread
Will get my 2nd snowman then prepare to fall far down the meterboard
Hi Carole, these days, it's not that often that I look at the Training and Racing Thread, so have only now caught up with your situation.

I haven't had much time over the last couple of days but tomorrow, I should be able to write a proper reply in answer to your post.

Jill xx
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Carole. First of all, thank you for the extra family tree info and from your remarks about Sir Francis Drake, it does sound as if he was the English version of Genghis Khan, who also liked the ladies and ( allegedly ) ‘ put it about a bit ‘. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

I am sorry that you have been knocked sideways with what I am assuming are still chronic migraine problems. If you don’t mind me asking, what were the results of the blood tests and are you any forwarder with why the migraines keep occurring? It must be very debilitating for you and frustrating if the medics cannot come up with an accurate diagnosis and possibly, helpful suggestions with regards to management of your symptoms.

Great going again with the Holiday Challenge and brave of you to soldier on in order to acquire your 2nd snowman. I don’t know how many metres you still need but if it all gets too much, and if it’s technically possible, perhaps Jon would be kind enough to award you a 2nd snowman. Just a thought.

At one time or another and for various reasons, most Free Spirits have needed to use their common sense and accept that looking after their health is far more important than where they are on the Meterboard.

Whatever your plans are over Christmas, I hope that they will include some well earned rest and recuperation. A great deal of pampering with your feet up sounds about right.

Carole, all good wishes for the season, and here's to you having much improved health throughout the New Year.🥂 :)

Jill xx
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Thanks Jill Happy New Year to you
We had a lovely family Christmas at my sons followed by my eldest son and family coming for a stay over New Year
They all looked after me very well as youll see on other messages im banned from rowing or exertion by GP as BP through roof despite taking 2 meds so have added a 3rd, she thinks my migraine isnt and may have been TIA attacks poss, more tests next month at hospital
I dont like just sitting abt but needs must at.moment and soon maybe allowed little walks ....
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Carole, thank you for your health update and I trust that the additional medication has proved to be beneficial in bringing down your BP.

Quite a while back, I was reading an article about thunderclap headaches, which apparently can come on very suddenly, after any sort of exertion, especially when taking part in some sort of sport/ exercise. Didn’t think about it again until a couple of days ago.

In her latter years, my mum had several TIA episodes and although not painful and only lasting a few seconds, she was always left feeling a little bit disorientated.

Glad to read that you had a very enjoyable Xmas and New Year spent with your family and that TLC was in plentiful supply.

Our son was with us for Xmas and his lovely girlfriend went to stay with her mum. We had lots of fun with Scrabble ( grudge matches ) and the challenge of “ Is that a word? “ was usually met with, “ It’s in the Scrabble dictionary. “

I don’t know if this is peculiar to sons, but since he was a teenager, my 6’2’’ 41 year old, still opens the fridge door, stares in for a few seconds, then after closing the door, walks off. One of life’s little mysteries. :fsbgrin:

We are not big sweet eaters except at Christmas, when far too many chocolates are eaten, far too quickly. On the other hand, I’m rather proud of myself as this was the second year running that I resisted buying a box of Turkish Delight. Disgusting stuff … but delicious. :fsbgrin: When Lord Peter Wimsey first meets the love of his life, Harriet Vane, he saves her from the gallows and Turkish Delight plays a part in trapping the real murderer. I think it would make an excellent Trivial Pursuit literary question: What part did Turkish Delight play in the Lord Peter Wimsey novel, Strong Poison?

These days we never bother to stay up for New Year although a friend who lives in the village always invites us to her legendary New Year’s fancy dress bash. Richard is not into fancy dress, especially as in the past, I have suggested that we go as Andy Pandy and Looby Loo. :fsbgrin: Do people still carry out the First Footing tradition, where at midnight, a dark haired man must come in through the front door, carrying a piece of coal?

I’ve twittered on long enough.

I wish you well Carole and hope that the further tests will help to identify the problem so that you will be able to receive the necessary treatment.

In the meantime, ( and as I’m your senior I can pull rank here ) you must look after yourself, so do your best to eat healthily and when allowed or ready, have some gentle exercise.

Jill xx
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hello there Carole.

I see from looking at the Meterboard that you have made a gentle return to rowing. Well done; slow but sure.👍 :)

Jill xx
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Thanks Jill
Ill never be allowed to do as much as before but maybe thats a good thing
Ill do a little here and there
Xx
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Just checking in to say Im still here slowly plodding along as seasons end approaches
Happy to report good weightloss in past 2 months so docs happy and will be attending a student McTimoney chiropractic clinic from next week which I hope will help straighten me out lol
Still considering my options for next season but I expect Ill still be here you cant get rid of me that easily lol
Take care all
Xx
Tina Gallasch

Post by Tina Gallasch »

It’s been many years, but I’m back into it again. Sold my rower about 10 years ago, and bought another last year, in a vain attempt to roll back the years and get fit-ish. They’re holding the Masters Games in Adelaide in October, and the general plan is not to make a fool of myself! Wish me luck!!!
Tina Gallasch
Life begins at 60...er 65 … er 76
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

A pity I wont be there to say Hello but anyone who turns up and rows will get a cheer from the other indoor rowers.

Have fun.
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Best of luck Tina we will all be cheering you on :fsbgrin:
Jill

Post by Jill »

Dear Carole, I am so sorry to hear about your heart problems - you poor girl - what a horrible, frightening experience, to go through.

When you start undergoing cardio rehab, all that hard work to achieve a healthy weight again, =D> will be to your advantage, because the last thing that you need right now, is someone in the medical profession nagging you about being overweight.

Carole, sending you love, good wishes and plenty of optimism.xxxx

Dear Tina, how are things going with you and do you still have your sights on the Masters Games, this coming October.

It’s interesting to see that apart from me, you and Philip Price also have forum avatars of your cat companions.

My cat was called Ginger Baker because he was the Cream of Cats and although only small, he was King of all he surveyed and would not tolerate any other felis catus invading his territory.

What about your feline friend? xxxx
Tina Gallasch

Post by Tina Gallasch »

Hi Jill, thanks so much for checking in. Yes, we are still aiming to compete in the Games, but my training is not what it should be. Still going to the gym and doing weight training, but actual rowing training is a bit sparse. Raj is still going strong at 16 years old - his kidneys are failing, but that's to be expected at his age. He's definitely getting crankier that's for sure. Typical old man !! Cheers,
Tina
Tina Gallasch
Pepe
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Pepe »

Hi Tina

Hazel and I look forward to meeting you at the Masters Games in Adelaide.

I have retained my cat avatar even though Topaze (French spelling) was put to sleep in March last year at the age of 17yrs. 7 months.
He had been coping with diabetes for several years. We brought him with us when we moved from the UK to Australia in 2007.

Very best wishes to you Jill; and to you, Carole, may the force be with you on your way to full recovery.

Philip

FF67A54A-A663-40B9-B79C-6C61DB3A142A.jpeg
FF67A54A-A663-40B9-B79C-6C61DB3A142A.jpeg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
Tina Gallasch

Post by Tina Gallasch »

Thanks Philip - I think we may have met before; in the New Zealand masters' games perhaps. I didn't compete then because of injury, but Wayne did well. Anyway I'm looking forward to the event this year. Cheers, Tina
Tina Gallasch
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Hi everyone many thanks for your support
I see the consultant in 10 days

All the best to you all xx
Tina Gallasch

Post by Tina Gallasch »

Thinking of you Carole - all the best.
Tina Gallasch