End of Season

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

End of Season

Post by JonT »

The end of the season can always be a bit trying for our website, especially the Meterboard. Don't be surprised if things are not working well on Monday, especially given all of the changes I recently made as part of the site upgrade. I will post here if there are any updates required. If you see something that looks awry then please let me know by replying to this post.

Wish me luck,

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: End of Season

Post by plummy »

I have 100% faith that it'll all come good at the turn of the year. Your diligence and efforts in keeping the team tech running is massively appreciated by me for one!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Second that what Plummy says, however just to let you know I can't log in on my iPhone it says the submitted form was invalid try submitting again, my imac and Android tablet are fine
JonT

Post by JonT »

As I suspected, things are not quite right on the Meterboard at the moment. There are some error messages at the top of the meterboard and the meters that have been rowed over the last seven days are not being displayed. Don't worry, the data is there but is being ignored in the table for some reason. This is definitely due to the changes I have had to make to upgrade the system over the winter. I am 90% sure this will sort itself out after a week, but I will have a look anyway and see what I can work out. The issue is that I am away for a few days and so we may have to grin and bear it for now.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

I’m sure we’ll all cope for a few days Jon. You do an awesome job on the website and it’s very much appreciated. Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

I have turned off all error reporting (very poor practice) so that we don;t have those really annoying error messages at the top of the Meterboard. The actual fix will have to wait until either people have done 7 rows in the season (this is what is causing the issue) or I have some time later in the week to have a proper look.

If anyone sees anything else that doesn't look right then let me know.

I will also have to reset all of the Nonathlon tool at some point.

Are we having fun yet :fsbgrin:

Jon
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

We can all see the grand totals, if not the daily metres, so not a problem really.

Thanks Jon for looking after the site!

Cheers,

Paul.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Looks like May 2nd data has pulled through OK.
So poss a setting to determine first day of season?

Anyway, after a few more days, it will roll off the board.

Totals are OK…so no worries really!

P.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

JonT

Post by JonT »

Yes, I would expect the Meterboard to slowly sort itself out over the rest of this week. The complication comes with the treatment of someone's first row of the season and dealing with May 1st which requires the calculation to be slightly different. I am going to try to fix this before the end of the week, by which time I probably won't know if I have fixed it until the start of the next season. The data is all being stored correctly, it is just the display that is getting screwed up.

Jon
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Just a thought: I noticed that Mererboard2 (link on top of MB3) looks to handle the new season better, so you might want to have a look at the differences compared to MB3.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
JonT

Post by JonT »

Tako wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:05 pm Just a thought: I noticed that Mererboard2 (link on top of MB3) looks to handle the new season better, so you might want to have a look at the differences compared to MB3.
You are right Tako, except MB2 doesn't actually work under our current version of PHP (hence all of the warnings at the top of the page) and also, it was this part of the code that MB3 changed i.e. MB3 and MB2 are completely different when it comes to recording and displaying this data which is why you can (time travel) through MB3 using the data field at the top. MB3 is far better and a credit to Thomas, but has some snags when it comes to anyone's first row of the season.

Jon
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Great work you have done, Jon. A little patience, about a year, to check whether you've also fixed the May 1st issue :fswink:
Thanks for all the effort you've put into it.
JonT

Post by JonT »

I think I have fixed the glitch that we are all seeing. In fact there is more than one, because the '7-day' total is also wrong.

Anyway, it seems to be working in the development environment. It was real puzzle to deal with the combination of handling a single row, a series of rows which was less than seven rows (important for the way the table is calculated), and the normality of being in the middle of a season. My brain is a bit fried now, but I think I have it working. I will watch the development site for a bit longer and if all seems well I will update the live site and count on you folks to tell me if something looks wrong.

Jon
Tako

Post by Tako »

Great news and efforts Jon!
Thanks!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
JonT

Post by JonT »

I've put the fixed code into our live site. It seems to be working, but frustratingly it is generating error messages that I am not seeing in the development environment. I have turned these off for now.

The individual rower page accessed from the meterboard also has error messages and is completely broken in Meterboard2. This is really complex code which I suspect was grabbed from another site and customised. I will have a look and see if I can work it out.

I have also put the latest challenge icons up.

Please tell me if you see anything that doesn't stack up. The "week rise" column is comparing your position to last week and so looks very odd but will sort itself out.

Jon
JonT

Post by JonT »

Progress!

I have tracked down the error messages that I was seeing in the Meterboard. They were just because I was logged in to the site but had not rowed yet this season. This was causing the Meterboard to try to highlight my entry when that entry didn't exist.

The individual rower page is now working again - this was trying to display the total for May using the score for 31st May, which of course failed. This must have always been a bug that we have never spotted before.

I will set up the Nonathlon page for 2024 when I get some time (and can remember how to do that - doing something once every 12 months makes it tricky to recall how it works).
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Excellent work again Jon. We'd be lost without you!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Thank you Jon for your continued time and hard work in keeping us all safely afloat.

I am still a techlexic and you are still great. xxxx ^O^ =D> :D
JonT

Post by JonT »

The eagle-eyed will have spotted the Meterboard is displaying a stream of warnings. The board itself is still there if you scroll down. I suspect this is because we have gone past the end of the first week of the season and something is going awry when it trying to display the full week. Of course the danger now is that in fixing this I undo the fixes that I just made to make the first incomplete week work properly #-o

For now I will turn off the warnings so that it isn't quite as annoying.

Jon

EDIT - I think this is fixed now. We will know next May!
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Thanks for your hard work Jon, will have by fingers firmly crossed next May!.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:16 am Thanks for your hard work Jon, will have by fingers firmly crossed next May!.
It's a pleasure Iain. As long as people are patient, I don't mind plugging away at this.

Meanwhile, the Nonathlon analyser is broken at the moment. I'll take a look when I can. Probably just a 'start of season' thing again.

[EDIT - This is working again. Somebody decided it was a great idea to enter a name which was a ridiculous number of random characters, which didn't fit in the scores database. Took me ages to work out]