Major Site Upgrade is Here!

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Major Site Upgrade is Here!

Post by JonT »

For those of you who have not been following this thread -> viewtopic.php?t=4002, I have been spending a lot of time over the last few weeks upgrading the version of the software that almost all of our site (forums, meterboard, various tools) runs on. I have been doing this on a development site which is a mirror of our current site, but which is away from prying eyes (thankfully, given some of the mess this has created!). The work has been quite tricky but was necessary to be able to keep the Free Spirits site alive and well.

I am approaching the point where I think we are ready to switch over the actual Free Spirits site. This is quite a complicated change, and touches every part of the website. The chances of everything working on day 1 are pretty slim despite the testing I have been doing. There will always be corners of systems that I don't even know about that others will use and that may fail.

If I am feeling confident enough I may update the site over the weekend. I will keep you all posted on this thread of the forum, and will depend on people letting me know if there is anything amiss.

Watch this space,

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Re: Major Site Upgrade is Coming

Post by Tako »

Great work John!

Thank you so much for your efforts!

Is there a way I can show you my gratitude (like sending money for a few pints or Easter eggs per PayPal)?
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Thank you Jon for all you do to keep this site (and team) going ^O^ ^O^ :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

A big thank you from me as well, Jon, I hope you won't run into too many surprises when upgrading. Good luck :fssmile:
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks all. I’ll keep you posted. Hopefully all of this work will mean you see absolutely no change, which feels a bit of a let down I suppose.

Tako - a simple thanks is good enough for me…..or €10,000 to my PayPal account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Thanks for the heads up and all the hard work.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Great work Jon - it's much appreciated
JonT

Post by JonT »

OK folks, I have started the process of incrementally updating the site.

If you see anything odd then please post here:
  • What were you doing?
  • When were you doing it?
  • What happened? A screenshot would be great, but error messages would also help.
  • Is this something that you can reproduce? If so, how?
JonT

Post by JonT »

OK. That didn't go well. The upgrade was a bit of a car crash, so I have gone back to the old version of the software for now. Shout if anything looks wrong.

Meanwhile, back to the drawing board....the better news is I know what was causing the issue.

Jon
JonT

Post by JonT »

The site is currently running the new version of the software and looks OK at the moment. Please post here if you see anything that is not looking right. [-o< [-o<

It would also be useful to have confirmation that things are working.

Jon
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

I was browsing around and didn't notice any issues in the main site 👍

I think you mentioned the previous iteration of the meter board would fall over (which it does) so is it worth removing that as an option?
JonT

Post by JonT »

Do you mean Meterboard2 Ian? I have to confess I had forgotten you could even get to that. I'll look at disabling it.

Jon
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Meterboard 3 is working Jon but with some strange text at the top
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 13.08.16.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 13.08.16.jpg (174.41 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks Louise. The screen shot is really helpful.

Is anyone else seeing this? I don't get these messages which is going to make it very hard to fix.

EDIT: I think I have fixed this. I suspect you were not logged in to the forum and the meterboard code was not handling that fact very well and started trying to work out what country you were from etc. Could you check again for me?

Jon
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Looks good now Jon, but when I touched the “Free Spirits Rowing” on the top image to go back to the home page, I got a 404 page not found. Cheers, Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

Shmoo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:02 pm Looks good now Jon, but when I touched the “Free Spirits Rowing” on the top image to go back to the home page, I got a 404 page not found. Cheers, Louise
LOL. I didn't even know you could do that! :lol: #-o

That should be easy to fix.

EDIT - Should be fixed now. I think that has actually been broken ever since Thomas wrote this version of the Meterboard #-o

Jon
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Been clicking around a bit, mostly on the pages I frequently visit. Looks great, good to see you managed to see it through.
Thought I noticed something strange, a metanonathlon score changing from green to orange. Actually it did, but that's not your fault. Somehow a 500mtr result disappeared from my seasons' logbook. Which led to 29 Nonathlon points less. Not the faintest clue what happened, and can't find it anywhere.
Anyway, next month the 500 mtr has to be rowed for the IRL. Then I'll have a chance to improve it again.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Great work Jon, really smooth transition.

One thing I noticed ('though not at all serious) is that if you click on a name in Meterboard 3 you get a number of error messages at teh top of the screen, but you still get the info.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:00 pm One thing I noticed ('though not at all serious) is that if you click on a name in Meterboard 3 you get a number of error messages at the top of the screen, but you still get the info.
Iain, can you let me know what the name is you are clicking on and if possible either give a screen shot or the text of the error messages (you should be able to cut and paste them). I'm not seeing any messages when I click on a name in Meterboard3.

EDIT - actually, I think I can see what you are talking about if I go into the Meterboard and I am not logged in to the forum. I'll take a look when I get a chance. This looks like a similar issue to the one Louise found yesterday.

Thanks,

Jon
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:25 pm
Iain wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:00 pm One thing I noticed ('though not at all serious) is that if you click on a name in Meterboard 3 you get a number of error messages at the top of the screen, but you still get the info.
Iain, can you let me know what the name is you are clicking on and if possible either give a screen shot or the text of the error messages (you should be able to cut and paste them). I'm not seeing any messages when I click on a name in Meterboard3.

EDIT - actually, I think I can see what you are talking about if I go into the Meterboard and I am not logged in to the forum. I'll take a look when I get a chance. This looks like a similar issue to the one Louise found yesterday.

Thanks,

Jon
This should be fixed now.

Jon
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Major Site Upgrade is Here!

Post by plummy »

Jon - I think you deserve to have your name added to this list at the top of the Meterboard. Get yourself on there.

Meterboard inspired by Jonathan Lemon, rebuilt by Thomas W-P (maybe add: "kept alive by Jon Taylor") ;-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:35 pm Jon - I think you deserve to have your name added to this list at the top of the Meterboard. Get yourself on there.

Meterboard inspired by Jonathan Lemon, rebuilt by Thomas W-P (maybe add: "kept alive by Jon Taylor") ;-)
Maybe I don't want my name associated with it :lol: :lol:
Iain

Post by Iain »

JonT wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:31 pm ... This looks like a similar issue to the one Louise found yesterday.

This should be fixed now.

Jon
Looks to be working fine, thanks.
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Thanks for all your hard work Jon, all working fine this end your a true star.