Free Spirits CTC Participation and Leaderboard

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Free Spirits CTC Participation and Leaderboard

Post by JonT »

I have updated the tool a little bit, so that it is easier to jump between the results from different months. This is all hacked together so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't totally reliable. You can now select an event to view using the "select event" drop-down menu - just hover over it. Ideally this would populate the menu as event's completed, but this is surprisingly tricky because of the Carole McNally challenge which adds two events in February and also has an event number which is one higher than February's even thougjh it completes before February's event does. #-o

Anyway, hopefully this makes things less tricky. Here it is -> https://freespiritsrowing.com/c2ctc/c2ctc_analysis.php

I just realised I will also have to catch the fact that the Carole McNally only gives half points (or have I got that wrong?)

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Thanks for the effort you're putting into this Jon!
JonT wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:57 pm I just realised I will also have to catch the fact that the Carole McNally only gives half points (or have I got that wrong?)
Jon
We had a discussion about giving half points for this (when there was a one off April's fool challenge on April 1st, can't remember the year) but decided against it. As there are usually less participants in the Carole McNally ctc the total amount of points we be smaller as well. But it's still the 100% score (at least it was last year).
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT

Post by JonT »

Looking at the scores from last year, it looks like Feb 14th are half points. Either that or all the boats did very badly.

I implemented half points last night, so we can do that if we want. I personally think half points is a good idea. It feels a bit harsh to lose a full set of points if you simply can’t get to an erg on the day.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Normally I subtracted the boat's position from 201, in the Feb 14 challenge I subtracted it from 101. As was done by the former administrator as well. Not floating boats were rewarded with 50 points in stead of 100.
I think it's fair to use half points, when you are not in the opportunity to row tomorrow you have the rest of the year to compensate the points you missed. The gap will be a bit smaller this way.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

JonT

Post by JonT »

fkoene wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:33 pm Normally I subtracted the boat's position from 201, in the Feb 14 challenge I subtracted it from 101. As was done by the former administrator as well. Not floating boats were rewarded with 50 points in stead of 100.
I think it's fair to use half points, when you are not in the opportunity to row tomorrow you have the rest of the year to compensate the points you missed. The gap will be a bit smaller this way.
We might have to have a think about this after the McNally event is over. If there are a very small number of boats in total then the score will be tiny (i.e. far less than 50% of the score from a normal event). If I look at the scores right now we are sat at the top of the table and the points for being in FS1 are 8 because there are only 9 boats afloat (which also makes me think that I should add 1 to the total score so that a boat in first place gets a full set of points). I've also just realised that it shouldn't be 8 if the scores are being halved #-o Don't you just love developing software!

Let's see how things look when all of the entries are in.

Jon

EDIT - The points gremlin where things were not being divided by two is fixed now. Quite an odd bug actually.
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Let's see how it turns out indeed. No problem on my part to enter the scores a couple of times.

JonT

Post by JonT »

The score in January for FS1 was 122 points. If we calculate the McNally event by doubling the points we get 56 points for FS1 which feels about right. I know this is doing the opposite to the original proposal to halve the points, but the small number of boats in the event means that the points allocated, even for the top boats, is very low otherwise.

Do we agree? I have changed the calculations as described above so it is clear what things would look like.

Jon

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

I agree. The new way of calculating does about the same this way as in former years this way I think.

JonT

Post by JonT »

This seems to be settling down now so I have put a link at the bottom of the Utilities menu to give easier access.
JonT

Post by JonT »

fkoene wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:14 am I agree. The new way of calculating does about the same this way as in former years this way I think.
Hold on. I seem to have dropped from 6th to 8th. I may have to have another think about the calculations.....adding in something about multipliers applied to certain rower surnames or something like that :lol: :lol:
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

I have entered the points for yesterday's memorial. As mentioned before, let's see how this works out.
Quite an impressive result.

Jon's former link to the FS points used the index number of the CTC challenge, which was I believe 224 for this one. Plummy has rowed 209 CTC's up to now. Looks like he has missed very very few of them. ^O^

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
JonT

Post by JonT »

I have updated the tool (linked in Utilities on the website) to allow anyone to toggle between all of the current and past events for the year and also to link through to Fred’s spreadsheet.

That should make things simpler for folks.

Jon

P.S. very low participation for this month’s event at the moment. I will be doing it, but feel grotty at the moment.

P.P.S Hope you are will Fred.

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I had a feeling I'd done 209 CTC's before last night's attempt and I'm still on 209? Could the total count be amiss because I have both a LWT and HWT profile on the CTC name drop down??
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

In the sheet I don't make a difference between heavy weight and light weight, you're still the same as before.
I'll look into it when I'm behind a laptop again.

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

You had done 210 CTC's before yesterday, Dave. I had completely forgotten to count 2023 in the total number. I have corrected that now, and the new list shows that Steve is about to row his 200th CTC this month. ALso impressive. And of course Plummy, you've missed even less CTC's then I thought at first.
Thanks for noticing.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Thanks Fred (I'm always watching - mwahahaaa!)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Thanks for all the hard work (even if it only reveals how feeble I have become!).
- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Sorry for the delay, but the sheet has been updated now.
Two completely new participants, welcome Ronald and Kevin. and two new 2023 entries.
Have fun with the March CTC :fswink:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks Fred. Hope you are doing OK.

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

I'm okay, thanks. Haven't been rowing for a couple of weeks, but started again today to get on the CTC board of this month. I hope to be back on track soon, get a slightly better result.
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

The March results have been entered. Jons' C2CTC Analyser working makes life a lot easier I admit, thanks Jon.
JBH entered the top 10. Well deserved I think.

Have lots of fun with the April challenge :fswink:
Iain

Post by Iain »

Thanks Fred, the new points system really punishes poor performance! Love that I am one of the few without a designation. Must repeat "I must not eat too many pies..."
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:58 am Thanks Fred, the new points system really punishes poor performance! Love that I am one of the few without a designation. Must repeat "I must not eat too many pies..."
I would say the new system really encourages strong performance :fswink:

Seriously though, I had tried to make it so that you got some decent points for putting in an effort. So for example, the boats that don't float are given at least 50% of the points of the lowest floating boat to avoid getting very few points. The idea was to encourage participation, so if the calculations are discouraging it then we need to have a look.

Jon
Iain

Post by Iain »

Not discouraging, an incentive not to take a break! Although there is less incentive than there used to be to put in a weak time if that is all that is possible. I think much of the difference is due to the explosion of Diamond boats that can make a huge gap between our lower boats. I wasn't advocating for a different system, this gives me more incentive to make lightweight again!
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

I've updated the sheet. Only 24 entry's in April, I agree it wasn't a very pleasant challenge, nevertheless congratulations to all the finishers. And good luck in May :fssmile: