what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by duffyoz »

Horrible speed work - 3 times a week, ugh. 8 sessions in total, then a few days down time then a 2k about 14 days out from WRICH 2023.

All speed sessions the same 3 sets of 7 x 30" on 60" off, with 5' rest between sets, rate capped at R40 to ensure good form, while going flat out. Every 2nd session should be overall faster av than the previous session. Love the taste of lactate - hopefully not coming back up though. It is from a published paper so some sort of science behind it. Maintain the other 3 sessions a week of steady state 75%HRmax recovery and 2 gym sessions.

So far 2 done and the third very shortly, not that I'm counting. Overall average for me last time was 1.42.4. The rerow function getting significant use :D

If you want to know how slow a 1' rest is start this session - if you want to know how short a 1' rest is get to the end of the session.
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

Those are deceptively long intervals at that pace Ian - we’ll done on getting through =D>

Like like you got the pace spot on Kevin - consistent all the way through and a great benchmark =D>
I do enjoy the cycling tbh - my wife encouraged me to get a Wattbike and try the virtual cycling once I was no longer able to run, and for rehab and ongoing fitness after the hip replacement. She knew I’d need something challenging to replace the running and she wasn’t wrong :fsgrin: Mixing the rowing and cycling gives a nice balance.

This morning I managed both in one session - woke early and couldn’t get back to sleep so after a coffee I was on the Erg just after 6am for a low rate 2x20’ session keeping that HR below 130, and the jumped on the bike to join a group ride :D

96AC3029-312A-4D05-8E12-32C456D7709B.png
96AC3029-312A-4D05-8E12-32C456D7709B.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 850 times
2D1EB712-801E-49F5-97E3-29C9980BF1E1.png
2D1EB712-801E-49F5-97E3-29C9980BF1E1.png (239.43 KiB) Viewed 850 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

I wouldn't have the mental attitude to keep up with that much sprinting Lesley Image

Kevin - nice first run through Image

Mat - doffed hat to that double session Image

Meanwhile:

That's what I should have done. What I actually did:

That sawtooth business just didn't stick today. I kind of held to the pace variation, but only if you look with a squinty eye Image Flip side, but faster (!) and less perceived effort.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Mat

Post by Mat »

duffyoz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:34 am All speed sessions the same 3 sets of 7 x 30" on 60" off, with 5' rest between sets
That sounds truly horrible Lesley, and to do it 3 times pw :shock: Huge kudos to you ^O^ ^O^

Well executed take on that session Ian 8) Okay, so the SR may not have been exactly as prescribed, but a) the average (20) was the same, and b) you were faster than Sept =D>
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Lesley I only know that session as the "dirty 30" my brunch buddy Tony Larkman named it for me 🤣 his version is 30 x30 🤢🤮🤢 I think the psychology is if you can get through that 2k is a walk in the park 🤣🤣
That looks a great way to start the day Mat 😎 I enjoy my morning spin over every day.
Ian that sawtooth/pyramid rate is a session that I have not mastered yet. Yours is closer to rate & pace than mine 🤣
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

10kW4S4 a "recovery" 30R20

I've never truly believed in "recovery workout" always seemed an oxymoron to me ???
My UT2 ceiling is 143 so I guess the pace was about right ??Image

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Kevin - had a peak at my last run on that and I averaged 2.06 if that gives you a yardstick?
InlineJinn
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by InlineJinn »

Landmark day for me!

First time since August, 2018 that I pulled for over 60 minutes and for over 10,000 meters in one session. Considering how quickly I've ramped up training this year, it went quite well and better than expected, and jumps me four spots on the Meterboard. Putting on a Hans Zimmer playlist probably helped :-)

And skipping a separate post over in weight loss, I'm holding under 160 pounds (75.58 Kg), also something I haven't been able to accomplish for at least four or five years. I'm thrilled to accomplish both at 63 y.o. I do have to give Covid credit for draining four or five pounds away when I didn't like eating much for a week.
John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
Mat

Post by Mat »

Well done John - a couple of solid milestones ticked off and it sounds as if training is going from strength to strength =D> =D>

Kevin - nice “not recovery” session there :fsbgrin:

Mixed weekend for me - did a tough sprint session on the bike on Sat and then on Sunday morning for the first time that the bike work carried over and I didn’t have enough in the legs for the “top tier” rowing session planned. So I had a moderate Zwift session on the bike again.
Long walk in the afternoon with the family and then finally hit the CTC this morning - shock to the system!!
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Saw your CTC result Mat ImageImage

John B - went to the Williams Vs Zimmer concert last year so am with you on that.

HM week for me, and Monday is intended to be a steady start:

Last time through I went a little too hard and finished in 1:27. This result is more in keeping with the objective of the session Image

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Thanks for the 2:06 heads up Ian Image Mat sub 1:40 1K ImageImage nice HM Ian too !!

I did another 30R20 tonight as a recovery session Image still UT2 range thanks to my back up HR. Yet again my H10 polar dropped out of the party.
I offered to do a charity 100k bike-erg for Lorraine on Monday so I needed another recovery ish session ImageImage

My backside is in recovery too ImageImageImageImageImage

Mat

Post by Mat »

You two know how to start a week! HM for Ian and a 100k bike for Kevin. Well done both ^O^ ^O^

Nice follow up 30R20 too 8)

Yesterday was the usual Zwift Racing League with a 6am start. Another tough race!

5E1AC265-0192-46DD-B40C-099B1BE610AC.png
5E1AC265-0192-46DD-B40C-099B1BE610AC.png (254.42 KiB) Viewed 703 times

To be honest though I’d have happily done this again this morning rather than the 8x3’r3’ @ 2k pace that the RowAlong plan threw up for me today. Having put it off on Monday, there was no escaping today! I told myself to do the first 4 and see how it went, then to complete 6… pleased to get to the end!

EA0E99AB-1CF1-4ADF-84F8-2094D8E80218.jpeg
EA0E99AB-1CF1-4ADF-84F8-2094D8E80218.jpeg (63.68 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Kevin - 100k ImageImageImage well done!
Mat - a negative split on that session is quite something.

Another one for me:

Quite a restful session in the end - the pace and SPM of this suited me this morning.

stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Hi guys, 1st Feb so it’s as good as time as any to start a new plan ie Row along 5k it didn’t go quite to plan as I had to back off a bit but at least I finished it. As I like Zwift as well I’m going to alternate days and see how it goes. Hey I might even get up very early and sit on Mats wheel and see how long I can last :lol:
90FC04C1-0906-4A75-BB99-21FF24DD8814.jpeg
90FC04C1-0906-4A75-BB99-21FF24DD8814.jpeg (133.33 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Mat

Post by Mat »

Ian Bee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:55 am Mat - a negative split on that session is quite something.
Thanks Ian - I always find that i have to chase the negative split :lol: Another solid hM ^O^
stumpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:00 pm Hey I might even get up very early and sit on Mats wheel and see how long I can last
you're welcome anytime Colin :D Well done for finishing the session =D>
I found the Rowalong 5k plan to be a really good one, though obviously in the early days it may take a little trial and error to get the pacing right
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Ian.......I've never heard a HM described as "restful" before Image superb interval Mat & that wattbike session wasn't a rest either !! Stumpy looking forward to seeing more of your efforts ImageImage the hardest one is always the first.

My "restful" offering to the erg gods tonight was taken from 10KW7S2 R18/20/22 I fancied a change ImageImage

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Kevin - that's definitely a curious session. Looking back at my attempt, it did sting a tad towards the end to keep the SPM where it needed to be .

Stumpy - look forward to seeing your results (and potentially you and Mat tackling Zwift!).

Not a restful HM today Image - a little negative split:

Mat

Post by Mat »

Good 60' session Kevin - I'm sure the varying SR at least helps distract from the long hour counting down

Really solid negative splitting Ian 8)

Weights for me today - my usual circuit of 3 x 10 exercises @ 20" on / 40" off

Back on the erg tomorrow :)
Mat

Post by Mat »

4 x 10’ for me today. Bottom tier workout which meant that the hardest part was allowing myself positive splits in order to prevent the HR going over 130!

7843C89D-6328-4398-9149-1FE9AF0A06C6.jpeg
7843C89D-6328-4398-9149-1FE9AF0A06C6.jpeg (281.38 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Mat - I admire those fit souls whose heart rate is that low (though I suppose it's all relative to max/min in the end). Good session Image

A genuine paddle and I'm mildly irked that I couldn't hold to 17 SPM throughout 🫣

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

My offering from last night was a R24 split pace 10kW5S1 my aim was 2:00 & 1:53 R24. So I'll be looking to a session like yours Mat today Image a restful 45-60 minutes Image Ian just how many HM are you doing this week ImageImageImageImage

I'm getting pissed off at my H10 dropping in & out at the moment. I've tried all the reset/new batteries tricks too. Hardly any problem on the bike-erg or ski-erg ?? Ho HumImage

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

I knew my fitness would have taken a knock with the virus I have been struggling with, but…….this is woeful. Was meant to be UT2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Jon I had 2 URT infections last year that knocked me back. You have to roll with the punches & come back when your body is ready. Your HR is saying rest ??
Ian another HM paddle Image R16 Image

My restful offering 10KW5S2 I struggled with pace at R20 couldn't keep it down so left it to the last 10 minutes all in my UT2 zone though ImageImage

JonT

Post by JonT »

Saw Kevin’s advice after this ZoomErgos row with the wonderful Jim Bichard. It hurt and I was cruising really.

Enforced rest for a couple of days now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
cyparis35
Warming up

Post by cyparis35 »

Hi there,

today i rowed my first marathon.
After rowing 18 month (with various intensity) and so far longest distance HM i´m glad ist done.

Learnings:
- It´s not over until it´s over
- a FM aint fun, but a 2k feels worse
- a FM ist 42.195m and not 42.197m (like i fool entered as target distance, so i can´t rank) 😉

Thanks for everybody here at Freespirits for inspiration and motivation.

Greetings
Michael