2022 weight loss thread

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: 2022 weight loss thread

Post by Grobi »

Dave, could it be that your recent weight gain is a result of the usual christmas feast? I'm facing a similar problem, I gained about 3kg over christmas and new year's eve. But I'm positive to get rid of these 3 kilos and so should you.

Reduce carbs/sugar for a while and you'll be back to lightweight before you know it (and before the month is over :D ).
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

I can't add anything more to the sensible advice already given but will add to the chorus: Xmas (for me the first 'normal' in 3 years) plus illness (proper man flu all over for lots of people) plus time of year will mean lingering weight for all of us. Maybe ignore the scales for a while and focus on good habits.

I'll threaten you with a tandem 100k if necessary 🫣
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

To be honest, almost all of the xmas chocolate/treats is stashed in a cupboard in my office so the temptation was never succumbed to in the first place - and I didn't over-indulge much on the roast spuds etc (plus I don't drink so that's not an issue). I just tipped the scales at 76.9kg this morning on my home scales. This head cold / chest issue bug has crippled my ability to get any metres in and I'm struggling to shift it so I'm wondering just how to get rid of it as there's hardly anything left to give up.
My other fear is that whilst away over Christmas I tried the scales at my friend's house and it weighed in 2kg HIGHER than mine - but - I've always used my own scales pre-race and they've been in accordance with the race-meet scales, so I think (hope) they were "off" and there's not an extra 2kg of lard hiding somewhere.

Ian - 100km tandem - (visualise me running at great speed over the horizon! ) ;-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
J-Dog
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by J-Dog »

Plummy,
sounds like the illness, and consequent lack of metres, has caused you to go out of balance a bit. I'd have thought it will fix itself over the next few weeks (if it hasn't already).

I got ill over Xmas, too. 2 weeks of it! Not savage illness, but just a continuous temperature, cough or chest infection that wouldn't go. I did lose a few kgs as I wasn't eating much, but now I'm back to eating normally, I haven't re-started the metres, yet, so I'm probably over where I was.

I was given a nice new 'super-accurate' scale for Xmas, and it showed me much lighter, but it seems to read nearly 2 kgs lower than the old 'super-accurate' scale we still have, so now I don't know what my actual weight is :-)

J-Dog
58 yrs 91 kg 5' 10" BMI 28.7
Lifetime metres: 901,463
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Duckrunner »

Hi Jill
How are you? Its been a while since we spoke. I hope you and Richard are well. Just popped into this thread to see who's about. I have been about foe last few years but not posting. I am happy to say I have dropped some significant weight from around 103 kgs to 92kgs.. so I am happy.. I see you are in the top 100 on the Meter Board so clearly you have put some time in this season.
Best wishes
Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Hi Chris and thank you for your message and well done on the 11kgs weight loss which ( I think ) works out at about 23 pounds. =D> I do hope that you will manage to maintain the slimline look and not let the weight creep back up again. With all that has gone on over the last 3 years, it’s more important than ever to try and stay at a healthy weight, eat (for most of the time ) a balanced diet and have some form of regular exercise.

Also, it’s good to see you climbing up the Meterboard; it won’t be long before you overtake me. :fsbgrin:

We are fit and well and doing our best to grow old disgracefully. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Richard still enjoys clocking up the metres on the BikeErg and the rower, whereas this season, my love affair with the Black One, Darth Vader, has cooled off somewhat; hence being at 100 on the Meterboard. We are not contemplating divorce, so I tell myself that this is only a temporary state of affairs …

I have been walking a lot more on the treadmill, especially when we have inclement weather and we do try to get out and about as much as possible; Clumber Park is a favourite destination as it’s not that far from us and we love to walk around the lake.

I haven’t been idle though because for Xmas 2021, my son bought me sixteen, half hour sessions with an online Personal Trainer and for the last year I have been having one hour, weekly Zoom sessions with her; the first 30mins consisting of weight training for upper body strength and then floor exercises for the remaining 30mins. In between, I usually manage to fit in 3 sessions on my own and I must admit that it is rather pleasing to see and feel the positive effect the weight training is having on my biceps and triceps. Chris, no one kicks sand in my face anymore. :lol: :wink: Do you remember those adverts featuring Charles Atlas?

The downside to this extra activity is my poor time and energy management and in all seriousness, possibly one of the reasons my rowing has taken a nosedive. Perhaps I need a Time and Motion expert to give me some advice.

Best Wishes to you too and Good Health and Happiness for 2023.

Take care.

Jill xx
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

After my 6k (total) tonight I weighed myself and was, or the first time in a while, back under 75kg (74.8kg to be precise). I feel a bit better about that as it means as long as I stay there my times are not so embarrassing being a very very light heavyweight.
The above said, I hadn't drunk or eaten anything post row and I'm seriously peckish right now!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Welcome back to the lightweight fold! NO excuse not to do the nonathlon now :lol:
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.