Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Carole S
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Injuries.....:(

Post by Carole S »

Rowing session on Mon triggered a massive migraine and 12 hrs of extreme vertigo
My body seemed to think it was taking part in the Talisker Atlantic Challenge
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

ugh - been there, wouldn't wish that on anyone (that said, there's an ex-boss.....)

Hope you are recovering now.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Currently banned from any rowing by GP with severe blood pressure problems, described as a ticking time bomb, despite current meds
Now rattling with yet another pill
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Draggon »

Carole S wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:15 pm Currently banned from any rowing by GP with severe blood pressure problems, described as a ticking time bomb, despite current meds
Now rattling with yet another pill
Oh no! I sure hope they can find the remedy in short order! Best wishes to you, Carole!
plummy

Post by plummy »

Sorry to hear that - I might be following you down the same path re BP as mine is steadily getting more elevated :-(
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
duffyoz
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Considering the years of rowing from dedicated free spirits this injury page is relatively quiet. Since I now have permission from the physio to row at 70% for a week and see how it goes - here is the back story.

Some mild burn in the L quad after a series of speed work sessions before WRICH. Felt better after a few days rest and then felt it again on the final weights session coming up from a squat. With about 10 days to go a mild tear in L quad and mod strain in R quad. Don't fill in the coach on the detail so all training as per the cunning plan. It didn't really seem to bother the rowing much at all. Managed to perform a little better than last years event, finishing with a bronze, but have been banned from rowing since 25th Feb. I have been able to bike and ski or thrash up and down the pool aka swimming. On the plus side, lots of time to rededicate to core sessions, which apparently are important. Excited after another bashing and stabbing from the physio to be allowed to row this week, 70% effort only though. Its a start and we can only get better from here. :fsgrin:
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Did my first row in 5 months on Friday. Felt OK afterwards, if slightly out of breath. Then I woke up during the night with an excruciating cramp in my right hamstring. It’s been sore ever since and I’m struggling to put on my shoes and socks. I can only attribute it to my session on the erg, although the fact that we are minding Jennifer’s sister’s dog and I have been doing several walks a day may also be a factor.

Hopefully, it will clear up in a day or two.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

Get well soon Paul, don't let it become an excuse not to return, an easy row is great for cramp!

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

For my serious news see Dog Days thread
:?
plummy

Post by plummy »

Apologies for the lack of appearances on the forum recently but 6 weeks of a back issue followed by 3 weeks of chronic sciatica (leading to a 4 day stay in hospital last week to have MRI scans and X-Rays) means my season has gone into complete stasis. I'm still laid up on my back and can barely get to the loo or shower myself so it looks like it's going to be a while before I get anywhere near an erg again. This is the first time in about three weeks I've been able to raise my head enough in bed to use my laptop and the pain is already ratcheting up so I'm gonna sign off...
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

It always heart-breaking to see new posts in this forum. :cry:

Sounds awful, Dave. What's the prognosis? Rest, stretching, meds, and time?

Best wishes and hoping for a speedy recovery!
zoot
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Get better soon, Dave! You're a center-piece around here, man! :)
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Very sorry to read your news, Plummy. I wish you all the best in getting back to normal without too much delay
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
JonT
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by JonT »

I had noticed you were not rowing Dave. Now I understand why and I'm very sorry to hear your painful news. Sending you best wishes for a recovery and return.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Dave really sorry to read of your predicament, not a good way to start 2024 matey, hope things get sorted quick and your up and back to your normal self pronto.
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

How awful to read this, Dave. All the best, and hopefully a good recovery Image🩹

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

plummy

Post by plummy »

Hi guys - I got Mrs P to bring my laptop to me so I could post an update as so many have posted very kinds words. The update is a follows:

Dec 19th I had an MRI at the local hospital which I was told was "clear". I also had 5 X-rays and nothing was reported as anomalous. So, several weeks into my situation and I still don't even have a diagnosis, and there's no discernible improvement. I'd started the ball rolling through my private medical insurance and had 2 sessions with a local physio - who was worse than useless - he seemed to just want to ask questions and type notes rather than do any "hands on" therapy and I virtually had to bully him into doing some "range of movement stuff". Ultimately he said I was the worse case he'd seen (not a badge of honour I'm happy to wear).

Through sheer luck I managed to get a private consultant appointment brought forward from Feb 1st (the earliest initially available) to Thursday of this week. The guy was excellent and had my MRI scan on screen. I talked him through the whole last several weeks worth of events up to the MRI scan being "clear" when he jumped in and said "well, yes and no". It turns out it's clear for the scary/possible paralysis issue (phew) - but they'd completely missed the fact that I have a prolapsed L5 disc in my spine which he said was clear as day! So that explains the pain I've been suffering - but what now...

Pain meds aren't doing enough to allow me to function - I'm still 98% on my back (or right side is ok) and a simple trip downstairs to make a cuppa gets more and more painful by the second as I stay upright (compressing the disc which is bulging onto my sciatic nerve). We could tinker with the meds but they already play havoc with my tum tum (I'll spare you the details).

Suggestions were - suck it up and see how it goes. Apparently over 60% (I'd like that figure to be higher but that's the number he gave) of patients recover in 4~12 weeks-but- that means me effectively wasting away losing all over body condition for that time and they'd prefer that I was able to do simple things like manage stairs or a shower etc.
Option 2 is a painkilling epidural to allow me to function as my body repairs itself. There's a risk with this on 2 fronts, one being it simply sometimes doesn't work and secondly, they hit the nerve with the needle. This is very bad...
Option 3 is a micro-discectomy, where they perform surgery to remove the bulge to take the pressure off the nerve. If this goes wrong it could mean paralysis down my left leg and frankly scares the **** out of me.

I've opted for the injection and the chap said there's a fair chance he could do this in the next 7~10 days - but it could be up to 2 weeks before we know if it has worked or not. If it doesn't and there is no natural improvement then I'll need to consider the surgery option and all the baggage that brings with.

The other sword of Damocles hanging over this is - will I ever be able to get on an erg again?? Even if told it's ok with enough healing time, is worth the risk??

So there you are. My situation is very much in the crapper and is not likely to improve for quite some time - even if we dodge all the bullets that could come my way

:-( :-( :-(
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
JonT

Post by JonT »

Oh my word Plummy. That all sounds extremely painful and very grim. I'm glad you could manage to give us an update, which I'm sure many of us appreciate. I know it doesn’t help at all, but I'm sure many of us are rooting for you as you go through all of this.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

I second that, it's not helping you a lot, but I certainly hope things will turn out all right.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Lost for words but sending as much positivity as possible in your direction Dave.
alien878
Warming up

Post by alien878 »

I’m lost for words too. Hang in there, Dave.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Thank you all. I'm having a bad day mentally today - i.e. really in the dumpster about things but the kid words help. Tako messaged me earlier with some support via Whatsapp re his previous disc situation which helped me believe that if there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it might NOT be an oncoming train.

Off to get some more rest (as if I have much option right now)

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Damn, plummy, Fate sure can be a mf'er when it chooses who and how to "challenge" its next subject. Sorry to hear the bad news, but then I'm happy you found someone that could at least give it to you properly. Positive vibes headed across the ocean in hopes that the injection provides you at least some relief, but hoping for significant healing as well over time. That's going to be the key is making sure you don't push things too fast once you do start feeling better. It's human nature to jump in too quickly and start pushing boundaries, especially for those of us that have mostly led a healthy and fit lifestyle into our later years. Patience is your new friend. If you do get the urge at some point to sit on the erg again, make sure you dial that damper all the way down to 0 while feeling your way back. Good luck, mate! Sorry if this sounded like a lecture at any time - just wanted to get some thoughts out there for your consideration.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Dave I feel for you matey, good that the scan was interpreted correctly eventually and that gives a way forward and hopefully the road to full recovery. Keep positive mate.
Colin
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Best wishes to you Dave from across the pond. I hope your treatment goes well and you’re back on your feet and on the erg before you know it!

I’m always sad to read threads here - being of the age when the mortal vessel needs a tad bit more TLC than in decades past, I can empathize with many of those posting here. I hope you all have speedy recoveries so you can fully enjoy the time still to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk