Dog Days of Summer

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Dog Days of Summer

Post by JonT »

Dog Days starts on 1st August. I have never completed this challenge because work or holidays have got in the way. I think I’ll have a crack at it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Dog Days of Summer

Post by fkoene »

I would like to join as well, but I might just miss the first week, the easiest one. Maybe I'll be home just in time.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

I think I can manage this challenge, since i'm currently rowing roughly 75 to 80,000m a week :)

In case someone doesnt recognise this challenge by name it looks like this. No signup required, just a concept2 logbook
From August 1 row each week
10, 000m week 1
20, 000 wk 2
30, 000 wk3
40, 000 wk4
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Back in time to row 10K on the last day of the first week (first thought I only had to row 5, but noticed in time that wasn' enough).
Nice way to come back to a regular erg rhythm after an operation and vacation afterwards.
JonT

Post by JonT »

fkoene wrote:Back in time to row 10K on the last day of the first week (first thought I only had to row 5, but noticed in time that wasn' enough).
Nice way to come back to a regular erg rhythm after an operation and vacation afterwards.
Well done Fred.

90 Freespirits completed the first week. There may be more if people enter metres late. I will keep updating the challenge icons on the meterboard each week as the challenge progresses. Pleased to say I have completed week 2 already after two long RowAlong sessions.

57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

I squished out 40k in week 1, so the last week should be doable. Slowly chugging through week 2 now. It's a good way to get a 100k month I guess!
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

For the Nonathlon I need to row the 60 min and the HM. The last week will be an appropriate moment to do one of these I think. With a reasonable pace, cause I don't do these distances very often. At least the weather will be better for rowing, it's now pretty warm in the room in which my C2 is located.
For now I do some CTC's and shorter distances to get me to the needed meters. Slowly going a bit faster again.
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Just barely got through the 20k this week, there's a lot of stuff going on at work & home, makes it easy to miss a trip to the gym, and before you know it, I'm like what's 20,000/4 instead of 20,000/7. Oops.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well done for squeezing it in Rob. I am going to focus on the longer events over the next two weeks to get the meters and also some Nonathlon points (hopefully).

60 FreeSpirits have made it through the first two weeks as things stand. The Meterboard icons will be refreshed when I get a moment. =D> =D>
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Thanks again doe the work, Jon. And good luck with your sessions.

Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

I'm kind of enjoying the weekly-evolving mental gymnastics and shuffling necessary to meet the growing targets. I have a feeling my mountain biking time will be reduced this week and next... :)
FlbrkMike
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by FlbrkMike »

I retired in April and still getting used to the routine. I thought retirement would make it easier to get a regular workout, but it still takes a lot of discipline. I've now settled on a MWF schedule and shooting for 40K+ per week. I've been successful for the last three weeks and four out of the last five, so I'm in. The Dog Days have been very helpful in keeping me focused.
67 years old, 5'11" and 221 lb as of August 19, 2022
Recovered from bilateral hip replacement Feb 11, Mar 11, 2011
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Succesfully ended the third week. The fourth mist be possible as well. Just have to fit it in.
Good luck everyone.

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

fkoene wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:58 am Succesfully ended the third week. The fourth mist be possible as well. Just have to fit it in.
Good luck everyone.

Likewise. I scraped over the line with 30,033 but have no idea where I'll find the time and energy for an extra 10km this week.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:58 am Likewise. I scraped over the line with 30,033 but have no idea where I'll find the time and energy for an extra 10km this week.
Hopefully you can just plug away most days this week and get it done Mr. P

I am trying to convince myself that a HM is part of the way to go this week. I am failing to be convinced right now. Steady, one hour for me today to get things rolling.
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Steady one hour to start the week for me as well. Focused on last year's result, and ended with 24 meters more, leading to 14434, which resulted in my first green cell in the meta-nonathlon chart. Good to see that.
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

plummy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:58 am
Likewise. I scraped over the line with 30,033 but have no idea where I'll find the time and energy for an extra 10km this week.
Yep, me too... 31k just barely over the line. Have some minor surgery tomorrow, so we'll see if I have it in me to do some longer ones this week to finish the 40.
JonT

Post by JonT »

45 FreeSpirits have made it through week 3 (there may be some stragglers as late results are posted). The Meterboard icons have been refreshed.

Jon
Draggon
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

JonT wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:04 pmThe Meterboard icons have been refreshed.
Thanks, Jon!
JonT wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:03 amSteady, one hour for me today to get things rolling.
I'm not sure how "I think I'll take a page out of Jon's book and just paddle an hour to get a head-start on week 4 of DDoS" turns into an Hour of Power PB, but here we are.... :lol:
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Three days over 10k, I feel like I'm in reasonable shape now to finish this challenge. I had a bit of a hope this morning that I might run a new PB on the 10k - but spent a little too much time in warm up mode and missed it by 20 or 30 seconds. I didn't go into it expecting to beat it, so I couldn't remember where my old number was! And managed to do a super slow 50r20 to try to practice the 20 SPM yesterday. It was ok... that slow of a stroke rate feels very relaxing, especially if I'm only getting like a 3:00 pace. hahahahaha.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

4 days on the trot for me and I've 13.5km to knock out before close of play Sunday. The top of my right foot was really sore so hopefully something just transitory and it'll allow me 4.5km per day to get this over the line. There's hope yet !
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:47 pm 4 days on the trot for me and I've 13.5km to knock out before close of play Sunday. The top of my right foot was really sore so hopefully something just transitory and it'll allow me 4.5km per day to get this over the line. There's hope yet !
Keep going Plummy. In a way that style of rowing is quite relaxing (as long as your foot is OK) because there is no pressure at all in terms of performance. =D> =D>

I have taken the bonkers, alternative route and finished the meters off with my one and only HM of the season to grab the Nonathlon points and Dog Days at the same time. It wasn't pretty, but it wasn't as ugly as last season's.
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Kudos on the HM… I keep pondering trying a FM but I honestly don’t know if I have the mental fortitude. On my HM, if that had only been the halfway point, it would have been an epic battle against the legions of demons…

FlbrkMike
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by FlbrkMike »

I normally row on MWF shooting for an average of at least 13,333 meters per session. That’s usually a little more than 60 minutes of rowing for me. I’m pretty slow but I get my meters in. My schedule was thrown off during this of all weeks due to my wife’s ear surgery on Monday. Guess I can’t hold that against her though :D So as penance for missing Monday I did 17K on Tuesday, after which I went and got a shingles vaccine which screwed me up all day yesterday. So I was able to crank out a little more than 13K today and I have to try and get 10K in tomorrow. That should be doable but…what a week.
67 years old, 5'11" and 221 lb as of August 19, 2022
Recovered from bilateral hip replacement Feb 11, Mar 11, 2011
JonT

Post by JonT »

FlbrkMike wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:07 pm I normally row on MWF shooting for an average of at least 13,333 meters per session. That’s usually a little more than 60 minutes of rowing for me. I’m pretty slow but I get my meters in. My schedule was thrown off during this of all weeks due to my wife’s ear surgery on Monday. Guess I can’t hold that against her though :D So as penance for missing Monday I did 17K on Tuesday, after which I went and got a shingles vaccine which screwed me up all day yesterday. So I was able to crank out a little more than 13K today and I have to try and get 10K in tomorrow. That should be doable but…what a week.
That’s quite a headwind yo are rowing against Mike ^O^ =D>