Musical Opinions - add yours here :-)

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Musical Opinions - add yours here :-)

Post by Draggon »

webberg wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 am If you like jazz laced with a bit of soul, try Jose James.

Unfortunately the full effect of his singing does not come over that well in digital form, but live he is astounding.
Nice... first one I tried was a cover, "Just the Way You Are", and I like it!
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by webberg »

He has an album of Billy Holiday covers.

We heard him sing it live in a small(ish) club and it sent shivers down your spine.

If you like him you'll like Michael Kawanuka
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

anyone gigging again?

Went to see Joanne Shaw Taylor at Coventry HMV Empire on Sat.
She's a Blues / Blues rock guitarist from Solihull, and a good friend of Joe Bonamassa.
Her latest album of Blues covers is excellent, and her live show is now very good indeed. She has found a confidence in both her singing and guitar playing that puts her up there with the best of the current crop.

King King (Scotish Blues band) was last month, George Benson and George Thorogood next month 8)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

I am a big Music fan. I love my soundmachine. With 2 subwoofers :idea: :mrgreen: :idea:
"In the deepest notes of the harmony, in the ground bass, the will begins to objectify itself..." So some books you have to read 2 times to understand them, and some masterpieces of music you have to listen with 2 subwoofers :idea: for the ground bass :idea: I mentioned this years ago here in our forum. My favorite composer these days is Hans Zimmer. And the extra version of his album Interstellar contains a brilliant masterpiece of music. it's called Tick Tock. I want to write a whole chapter about it elsewhere. So for me, this is a spoiler. Since most people don't care, I'll spoil it for myself ;-)

You canwatch a lot of brilliant concerts. Live inPrague is still my favourite.

along those classical music- on a short timetrial - i prefer metallica, ACDC, Vollbeat, something like that, minimal or progressive techno, too. You never can get me with Volksmusik.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

The Isle of Wight Festival is coming up again on 16-19 June.
This year I plan to see Muse, Kasabian, The Fratellis, Paul Heaton (Housemartins and Beautiful South), possibly Toyah, and most importantly for me, an IOW band called Jonjo, fronted by my daughter.
They played main stage last year after winning a competition for up-and-coming island bands, and they are playing again this year(not main stage this time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvvgt2giLWM

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I loves me a bit of Hans Zimmer so I'm with you on that one Claudius. Chevaliers de Sangreal is an incredible piece on it's own but when put together with the scene at the end of The Da Vinci Code ticks all my boxes.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Sounds like great festival this year Paul. But then any show would be great with flesh and blood in it :-)

Mr Zimmer is not for me guys, but of course his millions of fans can't all be wrong!
Wolfie

paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Wolfmiester wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 pm Sounds like great festival this year Paul. But then any show would be great with flesh and blood in it :-)

Mr Zimmer is not for me guys, but of course his millions of fans can't all be wrong!
Festival was really good - only went on Saturday, as my daughter was playing twice that day - I know I am biased but I thought they did brilliantly :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: .
The Fratelli's were very good, Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott were phenomenal(the best I've seen in the 5 years I have been coming to the festival) - watched some of the Proclaimers who aren't really my cup of tea, and saw some of Kasabian's set - they were having sound issues so it wasn't that clear, and they don't really have much stage presence so I was not as impressed as I was expecting to be - the weather was rubbish yesterday and I didn't fancy the line-up much so decided not to spend £80 just to see Muse from 200m away. :) :)

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
webberg

Post by webberg »

It's a real shame about Kasabian. They have lost Tom Meighan (for understandable reasons) as lead singer and Serge just doesn't have the power, range or attitude. In my view they should try and find a new lead singer.

I once tried to see the Beautiful South but the gig was cancelled due to health problems. I saw Heaton/Abbot on the bill and was tempted. In the event I couldn't go anyway.

Next up for us is Victorious festival in Southsea. Only going one day and plan to see Paolo Nutini, Bastille Ocean Colour Scene, Stanton Warriors and others. (Will be avoiding the Sugababes).

Then its Christine and the Queens in September.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

webberg wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 am It's a real shame about Kasabian. They have lost Tom Meighan (for understandable reasons) as lead singer and Serge just doesn't have the power, range or attitude. In my view they should try and find a new lead singer.

I once tried to see the Beautiful South but the gig was cancelled due to health problems. I saw Heaton/Abbot on the bill and was tempted. In the event I couldn't go anyway.

Next up for us is Victorious festival in Southsea. Only going one day and plan to see Paolo Nutini, Bastille Ocean Colour Scene, Stanton Warriors and others. (Will be avoiding the Sugababes).

Then its Christine and the Queens in September.
Yes Kasabian were a little underwhelming unfortunately.
Of the bands you are going to see at Victorious I have only seen Bastille, and they weren't bad.
2 weeks ago we went to Rhythmtree on the Friday - my daughter's band opened on the main stage and Turin Brakes, who I was really looking forward to see, closed that evening - they were really good.
We've booked to see The Pretty Reckless in November - I am quite keen to see Squeeze too, as I grew up with that music, but am in two minds about seeing bands that I was keen on 40 years ago - Madness at the IOW festival 2019 were dreadful, but the Skids the year before were incredible.
Tried to get tickets for Frank Turner too, but there was only ONE ticket left :cry: .
Your approach to seeing the Sugababes was exactly the same as mine regarding Nile Rodgers and David Guetta - avoid like the plague :D :D

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
webberg

Post by webberg »

Some good bands there Paul.

We were in the US recently and saw The Head and the Heart and The Paper Kites on the same bill. Bear's Den were also meant to be there but cried off.

I'm with you on seeing old bands.

I did go and see the Rolling Stones in 1995 (Wembley Voodoo Lounge tour) and that was great but now, 27 years later? No.

We also saw Fleetwood Mac in 2019 whilst they were briefly in the same set up as their glory days. They were very good but they didn't try any "new" songs, just the classics.

At my wife's insistence we went to see Duran Duran and left after 5 songs. Dreadful racket.

Perhaps the only old band I might be tempted by is The Who.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

George Thorogood and the Destroyers tonight. A 50th anniversary tour from another old dog, I'm sure it will be great though.
His voice is probably not up to it, but his guitar will be :-)
Wolfie

Carole S
Rower and forum addict...

Post by Carole S »

Wolfie Im so jealous
Let us know how it went x
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
webberg

Post by webberg »

Excited to have secured tickets to Christine and the Queens in Sept.

I saw her TV debut in the UK with a song called "Tilted" and have been hooked ever since.

My local hairdresser was "proudly" displaying posters for an event which included Herman's Hermits, The Tremoloes, etc just last week. Aside from the fact that many members of bands from that era are probably no longer with us, does not the fact that advertising in a barbers in a small market town not mean that it's time to gracefully exit stage right?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Carole S wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:46 pm Wolfie Im so jealous
Let us know how it went x
hi Carole, super night. played all the big ones, bar "Madison Blues" sadly, but then he hardly plays that anyway.
The great GT is certainly aging but his voice was surprisingly very good. His guitar however, not properly mixed in at the desk in my opinion, so we could hardly pick it out.
His band were as tight as ever though, with the lead guitarist actually taking some of the solos from George. Sax as amazing as ever.
Wolfie