July ctc - 10 x 199m / 1‘r

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

July ctc - 10 x 199m / 1‘r

Post by Grobi »

Hi everyone,

Team Whitby Friendship ARC have announced the ctc for July:

„ Whitby's 199 Steps

10 x 199 metres rest 1 min

Standing or rolling starts may be used, presumably after the opener. Just to be clear, the one minute rest is following each work interval.

This is a Dracula themed distance; there are 199 steps up to the ruins of Whitby Abbey where some of the action was set in the novel.“

Don‘t say erging and learning new stuff don‘t go together well😃 Not sure I like the sprinty nature of this one though.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Re: July ctc - 10 x 199m / 1‘r

Post by JonT »

For some reason, I quite like the sound of this. Probably going to require more than one attempt though.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

I tend to agree with Jon, there will most certainly be more learning for me from doing this one more than once...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Hi all Set the ball rolling on this special day (46years of wedded bliss).
Decided to neg split from a comfortable start to just below 2:00 to finish, all went well will try harder next time. Good luck to all who attempt this potentially painfully session.
8:23.3,1990m, 2:06.4, r26
obirobsan
Rower and forum addict...

Post by obirobsan »

I guess I'll give this one a try, sounds not so fun, I don't love the short sprinty stuff :P.. what's the strategy you guys use in the 1 minute breaks? Full stop and then start a little early to spin up to speed going into the next? Just constant speed it and not rest in the rest? Keep going at some slow speed the entire rest?
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Did two back to back... 7:09.8 with slow constant rows for the rest minutes, 6:40.6 with a 55 second total pause and 5 second restart. I guess it's ok, maybe will be good enough for boat 2 :)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

obirobsan wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 pm Did two back to back... 7:09.8 with slow constant rows for the rest minutes, 6:40.6 with a 55 second total pause and 5 second restart. I guess it's ok, maybe will be good enough for boat 2 :)
Well done :!:

Did a tester yesterday 6:28.2. As always I rest in the rest periods, and do the flying starts with two strokes at -5 and -2 secs respectively...

Pepe
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Pepe »

stumpy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:27 pm
Decided to neg split from a comfortable start to just below 2:00 to finish
I thought that was a good idea, Colin, so I tried the same approach.
The result was 8:13.2 at 26 spm which was better than I had expected.
Will probably have another attempt.
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

2nd attempt 6:21.0, hit HR 150 at the end, so this will (have to) do for a while... 8)

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

My go for Dracula, always loved the fantasy behind the ctcs, Was it on slides - Yes or No ?
Attachments
ctc the last.jpg
ctc the last.jpg (116.99 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Incredible pace Claudius!!

After a weekend of eating too much I had to check I was actually back under 75kg before having my usual single attempt so it was with some relief that the scales read 74.2kg.
I was targeting just getting a little bit under 2:00 pace to start as my elbow is still a long way from better (caused by the last CTC silly sprint session) but after about3 strokes, as usual, that went straight out of the window and I managed 1:51.5 (and matched that exactly for the next two). I then thought maybe I should try and hang on and make it an OCD CTC with 1:51.5 pace through all ten but went and messed up the 4th by going faster (numpty). I almost managed to neg split and put in a 1:44.2 pace last rep to end up with 7:17.1 total time which, to be honest, I'm quite happy with.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be though probably won't have another go unless teased into it by a slightly faster LWT time from elsewhere in the team.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Pepe wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:44 am
stumpy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:27 pm
Decided to neg split from a comfortable start to just below 2:00 to finish
I thought that was a good idea, Colin, so I tried the same approach.
The result was 8:13.2 at 26 spm which was better than I had expected.
Will probably have another attempt.
Glad it worked for you Phillip ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ , when you have your next attempt :twisted: at this session try the first 5 at your previous ave then slowly neg.split the remaining. Little steps, Plummy this could work for you too. :lol: 8:03.7 at 27spm
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Well done, Claudius :!: =D> Although, I think you can go even faster, if you want :!: :?: :fswink:

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Eye wateringly fast Claudius - safely beyond my conception (let alone ability) whether I'm using slides or not!!!! ImageImageImage

I'd had a couple of test runs on this to find out where my pace should be, thinking that late 1:40s would be sensible. As it turned out, I threw the plan out the window and went with fly and die..... Too high rate, not sustainable.

There might be fractions to be gained but I doubt it.

Good luck all.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

After a couple of months back on the CTC board again. Have to be careful still, but at least I'm on it. I think there will be more before going on holiday, but they won't be full throttle yet.
This time it took me 7:38.8.

Good luck to all.
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 am Incredible pace Claudius!!

After a weekend of eating too much I had to check I was actually back under 75kg before having my usual single attempt so it was with some relief that the scales read 74.2kg.
I was targeting just getting a little bit under 2:00 pace to start as my elbow is still a long way from better (caused by the last CTC silly sprint session) but after about3 strokes, as usual, that went straight out of the window and I managed 1:51.5 (and matched that exactly for the next two). I then thought maybe I should try and hang on and make it an OCD CTC with 1:51.5 pace through all ten but went and messed up the 4th by going faster (numpty). I almost managed to neg split and put in a 1:44.2 pace last rep to end up with 7:17.1 total time which, to be honest, I'm quite happy with.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be though probably won't have another go unless teased into it by a slightly faster LWT time from elsewhere in the team.
Asking for a friend - how close would another time from a LWT need to be for you to have another go? He's curious, and possibly a bit evil. :twisted: :lol:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

fkoene wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:22 am After a couple of months back on the CTC board again. Have to be careful still, but at least I'm on it. I think there will be more before going on holiday, but they won't be full throttle yet.
This time it took me 7:38.8.

Good luck to all.
Good to see you back Fred - just be sure to ease your way back in.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

JonT wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:24 pm
plummy wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 am Incredible pace Claudius!!

Asking for a friend - how close would another time from a LWT need to be for you to have another go? He's curious, and possibly a bit evil. :twisted: :lol:
Methinks you speak with fork-tongue!! :^o - a "friend" indeed! Hmmm - dunno, maybe 3~5 seconds overall max. That said, maybe I should say 40 seconds, make your "friend" pull his tripe out and not bother having a second go, just sit back with a smug, satisfied expression... 8)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

stumpy wrote:
When you have your next attempt :twisted: at this session try the first 5 at your previous ave then slowly neg.split the remaining. Little steps.
I had planned to follow this suggestion, Colin, but all thoughts of negative splitting and little steps were jettisoned after a vigorous warm up! I was happy with the outcome: 7:59.7 @ 2:00.5, 27 spm
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

My little-step-strategy is my previous average all the way except the last one. Want to do this a couple of times more, nice way to get used to rowing again I think.
Now 7:29.6, about nine seconds faster then last time, avg 1:53.0, so I know my goal for next time.
And thanks Paul G, for the advice, I will take it easy. Have had my prostate removed, not too much strain on the belly region yet.
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Have to say, that was probably the most I have suffered on a session for a long time. Glad that my back held out.
Discovered that I haven't got enough space around my erg for flopping on the floor alongside and had to flop along the rail instead for a bit, which wasn't very comfortable.

I do not recommend doing it on the same session where you go for an SB at 500m too.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mat

Post by Mat »

Lots of the team have given this one a go already - well done all on this deceptively tough challenge :shock:

Figured that it was time to throw my hat into the ring and give it a shot... I soon wished I hadn't :lol:

I generally find that for anything up to 200m I rate high and go for broke. After just a couple of intervals I realised that there was no way I'd manage the 10 reps unless I settled down a bit. Still struggled with the last few reps - who knew that a mere 20 strokes could be so hard!

I'm not sure whether I'll manage another shot to find out whether I can get under the 6', but for now I'll settle for 1990m, 6:03.5, 1:31.3, 33

33B70694-AEE7-4FD3-AAFD-657FC96AD78E.jpeg
33B70694-AEE7-4FD3-AAFD-657FC96AD78E.jpeg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Looking at the CTC page and wondering why our Claudius is right down the bottom of the result list where I normally belong , presumably incorrectly entered , someone please let him know
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Carole S wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:39 am Looking at the CTC page and wondering why our Claudius is right down the bottom of the result list where I normally belong , presumably incorrectly entered , someone please let him know
Probably likes been top of the slow list :^o
Anyway third attempt at this session after Phillip put his nose just in front of me :twisted: No comfortable starts this time hey I even had to do a w/up. ffs
7:50.9. 1:58.3. r29
No cd :| still managed to neg. split. Sort of.

Nice one Mat =D>
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Carole S wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:39 am Looking at the CTC page and wondering why our Claudius is right down the bottom of the result list where I normally belong , presumably incorrectly entered , someone please let him know
I intentionally entered a number that would put me at the bottom of the list. Because I used slides. Whether it's a heated debate or not. When you are dubbed a cheater, I call it a heated debate. Even though none of this bothers me. On the contrary. It would be pretty boring otherwise. A life without conflict. You have to be able to let go at the right moment. If I am on slides or not - I guess i am sitting in the same boat. And the FS boat in which I am sitting won't change it's position. I can understand some moanings in the top 3 or top 5 boats regarding this issue. Again here the link, note the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Concept ... 1130170543
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)