May CTC - 10x100m / 1´ rest

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

May CTC notification from SkiErg.
A Sprinters Paradise:
Row it for your rowing club and/or ski it for the SkiErg team.
10 x 100m / 1 minute rest
Standing start first rep. Subsequent reps as you like.
Enjoy!

This shouldn´t be that demanding cardio wise...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: May CTC - 10x100m / 1´ rest

Post by JonT »

Yuk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Yuk indeed Jon.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Had first go yesterday. First two reps were 18.2 and the slowest, and last two reps were 17.6 and the fastest... Total time 2:59.1... Expect to go faster later this month...

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

My left elbow was aggravated by the high SPM challenge last month and shows no sign of getting any better (tennis elbow) so I seriously don't want to do this one as I know it'll aggravate it even more - unless I paddle it to float a boat so I reckon that's the best I'll be able to do.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Liefcat wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:40 am Had first go yesterday. First two reps were 18.2 and the slowest, and last two reps were 17.6 and the fastest... Total time 2:59.1... Expect to go faster later this month...
Nice one Erik 8) Especially the promise to go faster :twisted:

I took a shot at this one this morning. Kept it fairly simple with 12-13 short strokes for each rep resulting in a pretty consistent time spread with the majority around 17.1-17.3s. Finished with a total of 2:51.5 (1:25.7). I'll probably give this another go too - not sure I'll get much faster but its a deceptively nice short, sharp session, and the shorter strokes puts the focus on the legs without stressing the back too much :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Mat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:16 am
Liefcat wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:40 am Had first go yesterday. First two reps were 18.2 and the slowest, and last two reps were 17.6 and the fastest... Total time 2:59.1... Expect to go faster later this month...
Nice one Erik 8) Especially the promise to go faster :twisted:

I took a shot at this one this morning. Kept it fairly simple with 12-13 short strokes for each rep resulting in a pretty consistent time spread with the majority around 17.1-17.3s. Finished with a total of 2:51.5 (1:25.7). I'll probably give this another go too - not sure I'll get much faster but its a deceptively nice short, sharp session, and the shorter strokes puts the focus on the legs without stressing the back too much :fsbgrin:
Thanks, Mat :!: And you, too :!: ^O^ ^O^

Yes, very convincing piece by you, Mat :!: And I´m sure you can go even faster if you want... :D I cannot help getting the remembrance of seeing you going frantically back and forth in our legendary and very powerful Free Spirits 3k relay now many, many years ago... :lol: ^O^ =D> \:D/ :wink:
plummy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:35 pm My left elbow was aggravated by the high SPM challenge last month and shows no sign of getting any better (tennis elbow) so I seriously don't want to do this one as I know it'll aggravate it even more - unless I paddle it to float a boat so I reckon that's the best I'll be able to do.
That is very generous of you, Plummy :!: :fssmile:

Mat

Post by Mat »

Liefcat wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:54 am Yes, very convincing piece by you, Mat :!: And I´m sure you can go even faster if you want... :D I cannot help getting the remembrance of seeing you going frantically back and forth in our legendary and very powerful Free Spirits 3k relay now many, many years ago... :lol: ^O^ =D> \:D/ :wink:
Thanks Erik :D :D

I think you must mean this relay [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95yxnELq1vg/[url]

An incredibly fun event - you've brought back some great memories when Jon, Jason, Lee and myself gave it everything we had (and fell off the erg a few times too) :lol: :lol: :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanks again, Mat, for posting that link :!:

Yes, I must admit it is very enjoyable to watch, and I could spot a lot of details I had not noticed before... I remember as the event was approaching that I was very nervous how the changeovers would go, and I have to admit that you did much better than I had expected - so all in all gr8 individual performances by all and a solid Team effort :!: ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ I also remember I found it kind of surreal that Free Spirits would be really competetive in a sprinty event, as my general impression is that many Free Spirits prefer the longer stuff which in ctc terms tend to get a lot higher FS participation...

JonT

Post by JonT »

That’s a great video. What was the format of the event?
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mat

Post by Mat »

Thanks Erik :fsbgrin: It was great fun and I’m sure that ahead of the race I was worried about the changes, but in the event, we all just did 15 strokes as hard as we could and then kind of fell off the Erg and rolled out of the way of the next entrant :lol: :lol:

The real heroes of the event were of course Stan and Colin who risked permanent damage to their hands as they braved to restrain our various size 12s and 13s onto the foot plates!! :shock:
JonT wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pmWhat was the format of the event?
EIRC always used to end with a 3k relay event. So the 2k events would come first and then the 500m in the afternoon (definitely not my thing [-X ), the day would end with the relays. I remember taking part in 2 of these events in consecutive years and from memory, we got silver in both :D
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

JonT wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pm That’s a great video. What was the format of the event?
Sorry for adding, Jon, but maybe you were expecting an answer something like:

Each team consists of 4 ergers rowing a total of 3000m, with no restrictions on the length or numbers of the changeovers, and on top of that 2 helpers are allowed to take care of the strapping... :D

JonT

Post by JonT »

Liefcat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:26 pm
JonT wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pm That’s a great video. What was the format of the event?

Each team consists of 4 ergers rowing a total of 3000m, with no restrictions on the length or numbers of the changeovers, and on top of that 2 helpers are allowed to take care of the strapping... :D
Interesting. So how did you decide on the distance each rower would go. Everyone seems to be doing 13-15 strokes, so I am guessing 150m each?
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Sprint work is not my thing. Since my best 100m is 19.2 I'm quite happy to only do this once for a time of 3.18.2 av pace 1.39.1. Everything 20 and under, not in order but 4 at 20.0, 4 at 19.8 and 2 at 19.4.

Awful thing to have to do. :)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

duffyoz wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:02 am Sprint work is not my thing. Since my best 100m is 19.2 I'm quite happy to only do this once for a time of 3.18.2 av pace 1.39.1. Everything 20 and under, not in order but 4 at 20.0, 4 at 19.8 and 2 at 19.4.

Awful thing to have to do. :)
Very respectable, well done :!: =D> =D>
JonT wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:48 pm
Liefcat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Interesting. So how did you decide on the distance each rower would go. Everyone seems to be doing 13-15 strokes, so I am guessing 150m each?
There has been a lot of testing of what the optimal way to decide the length of each stint, and the preferred lengths were 15 secs and 20 secs, and between the two 15 secs would seem to be the most effective... As Mat stated FS chose 15 strokes each and with their (average) SPM this would transfer to approx. 20 secs... (Actually 506 secs/23 stints= 22 secs or 3000m/23 stints= 130m per stint)

My preferred length?? 15 secs. Like in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEp1SDhn9Qg . You can see that the right strap is fixed with duct tape... And NO shoes allowed!! [-X :lol:

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

Hello,

first try, maybe I'll actually do another one, who knows ?

So was it fun ?
- on slides the stroke rate goes even higher ;-)
- i had briefly seen ne 71 on the pm5, then the pm5 lost the connection to the
smartphone, cumbersome recovering the unit using c2 utility- was the stroke rate to
blame ?
- I'm happy with the result, maybe I'll just leave it that way
- will write something about the slides soon when i find time, i think you are not
much faster with it.
- Hey Mat & Eric, superb video link, great teamwork, love it !
- fun ? Y ´n N !!!
Attachments
may ctc on slides.jpg
may ctc on slides.jpg (108.81 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Really strong result, Claudius - and even more so for a lightweight :!: ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

And awesome technique on slides - I guess most ergers would bounce against the limits of the slides at stroke rates +50... =D> =D> =D>

Mat

Post by Mat »

Liefcat wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:57 am Each team consists of 4 ergers rowing a total of 3000m, with no restrictions on the length or numbers of the changeovers, and on top of that 2 helpers are allowed to take care of the strapping... :D

There has been a lot of testing of what the optimal way to decide the length of each stint, and the preferred lengths were 15 secs and 20 secs, and between the two 15 secs would seem to be the most effective... As Mat stated FS chose 15 strokes each and with their (average) SPM this would transfer to approx. 20 secs... (Actually 506 secs/23 stints= 22 secs or 3000m/23 stints= 130m per stint)

My preferred length?? 15 secs. Like in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEp1SDhn9Qg . You can see that the right strap is fixed with duct tape... And NO shoes allowed!! [-X :lol:
Thanks Erik for providing a far more detailed explanation around the event and the decision making than I was able ^O^ :D

Claudius - fantastic result ^O^ ^O^
I had thought that I may pip you on this one given my size / weight advantage, but clearly there's no chance :lol:

Interesting to read your comments on slides too. I've never tried them, though the closest I got was trying one of the C2 Dynamic rowers while staying at a hotel recently. I've got to say that I just couldn't into anything like a decent rhythm and gave up after around 5 minutes of flailing around :?
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

I almost forgot this, and almost wish I had. A bit of a silly session really.
2:56.7/1:28.3/44
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Okay, I did this damned thing. It was the opposite of fun for me... :) Tweaked my back after the 5th "set" & went into back preservation mode, but it didn't affect my time much. I found it physically impossible to row below 1:28 regardless what I did. It wasn't exhaustion, just lack of sprinting technique, I think. Not my forte, for sure.

1:32.8/500 at 46 SPM (avg)

Anyway, if one more woman rows by 5/31, Free Spirits will float a 3rd boat.
chrisnew

Post by chrisnew »

Got my effort in, not a favourite to say the least! Definitely not a sprinter, but quite pleased with the consistency
Attachments
IMG_0776.jpeg
IMG_0776.jpeg (371.05 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well that was even more unpleasant than expected and to cap it all I lost out on a Boat II place to Chris by 0.1 seconds Image. Serves me right for getting the pacing so wrong.

A lady to float Boat III would be great Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

My last two attempts were 2:53.5 and 2:53.0... I don´t seem to have stamina in the last reps to threaten Mat´s time... So close - yet still so far... :fswink:

chrisnew

Post by chrisnew »

JonT wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:40 pm Well that was even more unpleasant than expected and to cap it all I lost out on a Boat II place to Chris by 0.1 seconds Image. Serves me right for getting the pacing so wrong.

A lady to float Boat III would be great Image

That was very close! Great effort on what is a horrible session (for non sprinters!) Pacing is so tricky. The only thing that helps me is a stubborn streak towards the end, but I do not want to do that one again for a while!

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks to last-minute entries from Ingrid and Louise we managed to get 4 boats afloat in May.