Various things need fixing...and season end looms

Where should the web site go - what should we do? Who has the time between rows?

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by JonT »

I will do some work over the coming days to upgrade the forum software and also the Tapatalk plug-in. Both are out of date but shouldn't require much work.

The PHP version issue still lingers. At some point the version of PHP we run on will no longer be supported and then we are stuffed unless I get the site working on the new version. This is going to be a lot of work and I am struggling to find the time (and motivation if I'm honest).

Finally, the end of the season lingers. This always makes me stressed as the Meterboard and all of it's workings have to deal with the season change. The main issue is this is an annual event, which is enough time to completely forget how you got it all working last year #-o
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Re: Various things need fixing...and season end looms

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:02 am I will do some work over the coming days to upgrade the forum software and also the Tapatalk plug-in. Both are out of date but shouldn't require much work.
I have upgraded the forum software to the latest release. It's never a good idea to upgrade more than one thing at once so I will do Tapatalk over the weekend...probably.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Jon,
A thought. Maybe we could make some donations and you could pay someone to update the PHP?
Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

Shmoo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:05 pm A thought. Maybe we could make some donations and you could pay someone to update the PHP?
That’s an interesting idea Louise, but the code that Thomas created, based on the original code for the Meterboard, is an absolute beast. It is massively complex and there is no documentation at all. Not even the odd comment in the code. So, the prospect of someone being able to wade through all of the code and work out what is needed for a PHP upgrade would be a large and expensive task. Having said that, you have prompted me to have a look to see if any bright spark has developed any analysis tools to help find the issues that would stop an upgrade.

I will have a go at getting it working. It’s just finding the time and the right mental attitude to attack the problem.

Thomas said many times that the thing to do would be to throw it all away and start again in a more contemporary language like Python, but that really would be a labour of love.

Jon
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

The work you are putting in here is hugely appreciated by me for sure Jon. I'm technically inept when it comes to such things as coding etc so even if I had the time to help (currently I have zero) I wouldn't be able to.
Re contributions, I think I'm long overdue to stump up some cash and I think many others possibly are too. Not because they don't want to, just because like me, it just perpetually slips their minds or the mechanism is elusive
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote:
Re contributions, I think I'm long overdue to stump up some cash and I think many others possibly are too. Not because they don't want to, just because like me, it just perpetually slips their minds or the mechanism is elusive
Thanks for the thanks Mr P.

In terms of contributions, at the moment the website is being hosted “free of charge” using spare capacity on servers used by my business. That may change soon as I could be heading for a bit of a career change. At that point I may get the begging bowl out.

Like Thomas before me, I have absolutely no intention of looking to be compensated for my time. I do that as a contribution to the club in the same way that others also give their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plummy

Post by plummy »

Hi Jon - I've just noticed that the flags are missing from the meterboard. No biggie but looks a bit barren without them
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks for pointing that out Plummy. It’s a bit strange because I know they were there when the season started because I always use the pirate flag to quickly spot where I am. Puzzling. I’ll take a look when I have a chance.

Jon
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Well, I can see the flags.
However, I cannot get the pirate flag working for me. It doesn’t use the code 666 to overwrite.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
JonT

Post by JonT »

All a bit odd. I have checked the database and the country codes (including overrides such as ENG and 666) are definitely there. I'm away from home at the moment, so I will take a look when I am back......unless it all starts working again on its own, which has been known. #-o
JonT

Post by JonT »

I can now see a full set of flags again, including the pirate flag. What do others see?

Jon
Tako

Post by Tako »

As I wrote, I saw them already yesterday.
It is just my own overwrite where I cannot make the pirate flag work.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
plummy

Post by plummy »

JonT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:21 am I can now see a full set of flags again, including the pirate flag. What do others see?

Jon
The flags are back - maybe just a glitch on my system. All good now. :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote:
JonT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:21 am I can now see a full set of flags again, including the pirate flag. What do others see?

Jon
The flags are back - maybe just a glitch on my system. All good now. :D
No it was definitely broken. I suspect Concept2 had an issue. The flags are based on their data and then overridden by personal choices of flags.

Glad we are back to normal service. Thanks again for spotting it Plummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk