FMMC Closing

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

chrisnew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

FMMC Closing

Post by chrisnew »

John Steventon posted this on the FMMC facebook page this morning to advise that it is likely to close. I guess this could change if the Indoors Rowers League does not come back (hopefully it will continue)

"It is with a heavy heart that as the season changes to 2022-2023, it's time to close the FMMC permanently.
Magnus and I originally decided to close it last year due to lack of traction from the wider rowing community. When the IRL was rumoured to be stopping running, we decided to keep it going.
But with the IRL still going strong, there just isn't enough room for the FMMC in an over-saturated challenge market.
Both Magnus and I know that this will be unhappy reading for a lot of you, and we apologise to you all, as we'd really hoped that this would take off.
But after three seasons, it's time to say goodbye to the FMMC.
Thanks to all for being part of it - and if you're looking for a similar challenge - head to Nonathlon.com"

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: FMMC Closing

Post by Mike Channin »

What was FMMC?
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
chrisnew
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by chrisnew »

Mike Channin wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:22 pm What was FMMC?
Fitness Matters Monthly Challenge. Similar to IRL, something I was doing as an extra challenge each month

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hahaha. Glutton for punishment!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Pepe
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Pepe »

I was doing it too.
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Now I already knew that you are a glutton for punishment, Philip! ;-)
Maybe we could set up an equivalent FS Challenge if there is enough interest?
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

OK. So I had a look - it's a normalised competition that appears to have some correction factor for age (by categories), weight (at least category) and gender.
Funnily enough, Alan Strang was running something on FS in 2012-3 called WAARC which was quite similar.
And we were working on providing an updated version, but got a pretty exceptional amount of negativity from some factions within FS (at the time).
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Mike Channin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:11 pm OK. So I had a look - it's a normalised competition that appears to have some correction factor for age (by categories), weight (at least category) and gender.
Funnily enough, Alan Strang was running something on FS in 2012-3 called WAARC which was quite similar.
And we were working on providing an updated version, but got a pretty exceptional amount of negativity from some factions within FS (at the time).
If I am thinking of the same proposed scheme you are referring to then I wouldn’t say there was an exceptional amount of negativity but there was opposition( from some quarters ) to a system which appeared to reward unfitness and fatness rather than incentivise hard work and improvement🙂

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30