January ctc - 6k TT

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Huw Thomas
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: January ctc - 6k TT

Post by Huw Thomas »

Huw Thomas wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:42 pm
Hi All
Put my 23:59.3 up and have recruited some friends who cycle and row: Paul and Trish Harrison , Gus Goad and Trevor Jones

Should launch a few boats!

Regards

Huw
And another - Vernon Spiller.... a youngster!
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Welcome to a lot of new faces :!: :fssmile: :fssmile: :fssmile:

Struggled with a lot of those Demons whose names you should not mention ( :lol: ) around the half way point... But pulled it through to a 24:56.1 entry... More than half a minute from my SB, so might wanna have another go later this month...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Claudius »

Welcome onboard newbies ! Congratulations to all of you for your excellent performance ! =D>
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Good to see you back on the erg Huw, and well done on the recruiting job! That was a perfect timing, it's our ctc and your recruitment helped floating five boats already.

I had my first go at this last night with a target pace of 1:57.3 (Wolfie's pace :twisted: :fswink: ). Plan was simple, start fast and pull like a dog when things get ugly :lol: This is how it went:

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (27.49 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
This felt much easier right from the start so I changed my target pace to 1:56. All went well until the half way mark when some of those you-know-who-demons popped up. I told them to get lost and managed to hold a 1:55 pace. With 1k to go my estimated finishing time was around 23:05. Hmm, why not try to go sub 23? So I decided to execute part 2 of my pacing plan (pull like a dog) and finally managed to finish just under 23 minutes which I'm rather pleased with I have to say.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Very nice 6k there Peter =D> =D>
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Huw Thomas
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Huw Thomas »

great row Peter ... nice to be back
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Your score was a nice goal to strive for, Peter. Managed a 22:52.6. Was pleased with that score, better then expected considering the way the season started out for me. Even resulted in a green metanonathlon score.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Glad to be of service Fred :D Seriously, that is a very impressive score, well done! I don‘t think I can match that.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

:mrgreen: :idea: Great Job all,

Mat, hope your recovery is like if a plan comes together... [-o< Peter, this sounds like a great timetrial =D> ! That was our intention :mrgreen: :idea:
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Another boat floated is the best I can say about that, apologies it wasn't any better. Testing out the rec fem tendon by doing this 6k at a capped hr (132). Happy to say there appears to be no ill effect after icing for 30min after and started with a longer than normal warmup.

28.51.9 is a long way from my best of 24.56.4
Carole S
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

Our little boat at the bottom needs just 1 more person please
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
Tritorow
Warming up

Post by Tritorow »

recovering from covid (which I got on vacay in costa rica and totally messed up my jan challenge as I had to stay 3 days longer) but I will try to do a slow but steady 6k before end of month to float the last boat if nobody else does so before I get a chance. Janet
Janet (F, 61, 5ft 4, 150) started rowing Oct 2018
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Draggon »

Tried another one today but started too hot. I HD'ed three times for a few seconds each and ended up slightly higher than my previously-submitted time (which tells me there's hope!). I think I'm going to give it another go on Monday (last day to try) and try a negative split strategy instead of a steady pace strategy.
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Thanks to all for the encouragement and good wishes :fsgrin:

Thanks also to Fred and Peter for the target! Have been managing 2-3 rowing sessions per week this month, and while the physical fitness is coming back well(aide by cycling), the mental strength is a long way behind, so I've baled out a couple of times on this one recently

Happy with this mornings effort though - consistent throughout with a final time of 22:43.3 (1:53.6) :D
May give it another go next week, but can't promise!
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

I could never have imagined that one day I‘d be able to set a target for you Mat :D But once you‘re firing on all cylinders again ( like in a week or so) those days will be gone :D

Well done on the 6k! =D>

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Hi everyone,

Well its been a while. Over the past couple of months managed the odd row. Rowing has been a struggle since I fractured my ankle. I decided I would attempt to get back on the machine. Logged a very poor 6k.
Cycling has been my thing since Covid started. Got myself on Strava and been enjoying the miles out and about.
Its been a tough time for us as I'm sure for many of you. My Mum fell ill, she had a fall. She got an infection, then sepsis and had a cardiac arrest. We were told she wouldn't survive the night. We were allowed to visit her and my Dad got Covid in the hospital. He died. Mum survived.

I'll hopefully give Feb CTC a try. My times are terrible
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Oh my word - you've been through the wars. Sorry to hear of your loss and struggles

Your ankle was quite some time ago I seem to recall? Great to see you making any kind of effort you are able to though - very impressive =D> =D>
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Tritorow
Warming up

Post by Tritorow »

I plan to still row today to help float the last boat if we can get one more. Waited til last day to give myself time to recover from covid as much as possible. Janet
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

redshell wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:33 am
Its been a tough time for us as I'm sure for many of you. My Mum fell ill, she had a fall. She got an infection, then sepsis and had a cardiac arrest. We were told she wouldn't survive the night. We were allowed to visit her and my Dad got Covid in the hospital. He died. Mum survived.

Dear Michelle I am so sorry to hear this news, I lost my Mum last year so I know what yr going through and send you my sincere wishes x

Yr times are a lot better than mine!! Its good to see you back on the infernal erg
Love from JR
Tritorow
Warming up

Post by Tritorow »

yay! last boat is offshore...I can save my energy. I was ready to row and decided to check one last time :).
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Well done all
Sadly I got left on the shore alone in boat 8 whilst Pete rowed off with another woman lol
:lol: :lol: :roll: :fsgrin:
chrisnew

Post by chrisnew »

I was a bit late to the party with this one only getting it done on the last evening, cutting it a bit fine to jump in a boat!

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

chrisnew wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:23 pm I was a bit late to the party with this one only getting it done on the last evening, cutting it a bit fine to jump in a boat!
Nice! Dumped me right out of my boat and into Boat IV - but turns out there's pleasant company there as well! :lol:
redshell
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

plummy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:57 am Oh my word - you've been through the wars. Sorry to hear of your loss and struggles

Your ankle was quite some time ago I seem to recall? Great to see you making any kind of effort you are able to though - very impressive =D> =D>
Thanks Dave. It was a while ago Oct '17. I must get on the C2 site to log my rows!
I've been cycling during Covid and I was hoping it wouldn't be so difficult to get back on the rower, but it is!
Annoying I wasn't home to do the Carole McNally row, but hoping to get the CTC challenges going again
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

redshell wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:33 am Hi everyone,

Well its been a while. Over the past couple of months managed the odd row. Rowing has been a struggle since I fractured my ankle. I decided I would attempt to get back on the machine. Logged a very poor 6k.
Cycling has been my thing since Covid started. Got myself on Strava and been enjoying the miles out and about.

Oh, really sad to hear about your loss, Michelle :!: Good to see you back on the "Rower", though :!: I am sure most of us can relate to the erg being very unforgiving - so keep up the good work :!:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway