Crazy Bear Challenge

If you start a thread here, this is a commitment to maintain it (including a closing date if you require) and curate any entries.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Crazy Bear Challenge

Post by Mike Channin »

As with everything, it is all about the pacing.
Although I have noted some general wear-and-tear issues, both in joint aches and in getting sore hands.
I'm on 13/30 after today, and today's tougher session went better than expected...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Confess to getting close to losing the continuous run over the last three days, but just about managing to keep motivated, despite sub zero conditions in the rowing shed (at least at the start; it gets quite a bit warmer by the end...)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Carole S
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

Proud of you Mike keep going
^O^
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Shmoo »

Just saw your meter board log Mike. Way to go! Almost there. Am in awe ^O^
Louise
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

It's DONE.
I give you, the Continuously Crazy Bear - 30 HMs in 30 days.
Can't say it has been fun, or particularly good for my fitness overall (yet). I have (predictably) got very efficient at grinding out HMs at 2:20.
My knees are sore - I have some new callouses on the fingers (and I've gone through about 2m of sticking plaster strip).
But it is done.
Annoyingly I'm currently about 2k short of the most I've rowed in a month, so I may just have to go get back on later.
Carole S
Rower and forum addict...

Post by Carole S »

Mike you are amazing bravo
^O^ ^O^ ^O^
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Carole, you've been rowing not far off that EVERY DAY - your accomplishment puts mine to shame - there's no way I could face what you've done! (Hope you've finished off that SuperHero level now)
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Mike Channin wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:03 am It's DONE.
I give you, the Continuously Crazy Bear - 30 HMs in 30 days.
Can't say it has been fun, or particularly good for my fitness overall (yet). I have (predictably) got very efficient at grinding out HMs at 2:20.
My knees are sore - I have some new callouses on the fingers (and I've gone through about 2m of sticking plaster strip).
But it is done.
Annoyingly I'm currently about 2k short of the most I've rowed in a month, so I may just have to go get back on later.
That's a mighty mighty effort Mike. Huge congrats =D> =D> ^O^ ^O^

Oh, and you definitely need to get that extra 2k done. You can't get that close and not set a new PB. 10 mins (or less) and it'll be in the bag.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Only just seen this.
Thanks, Plummy, although my effort is nothing compared to your 1 million meter experience - I seriously don't know how you did that. Or Paul G's 24 hours thing. Or even the 100k's people do.
I did indeed go back and make sure I got a nice round 650k for the month for a marginal best.
I also confess to lapsing quite badly during Feb rowing-wise (although I was doing a press-ups challenge instead)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Crazy Bear 2022 is running.
It started on 10th November, and runs to the 24th of December.
30 HMs in 44 days...
plummy

Post by plummy »

In the total lack of any blaze of publicity.. I did notice you'd been knocking out some HM's and never associated them with it as clearly I'm not involved in Crazy Bear any more.
Nice work so far Mike.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hey Plummy - kind of you to notice, and to take time to post.
(How are you these days, by the way; I noticed you're active but not to your old levels (not that any of us are any more ;-) - hope you're OK.)

I did mean to post nearer the starting date, but I wasn't actually sure I was going to go through with it at the start ;-)

I'm 11 in now, and it's been hard work as I didn't have much form at the start, so it's been a lot of long slow slogs.
I did manage to go sub 90 on Monday, and I'm showing small signs of improvement, but it's probably not the most effective way of training.

Other than for getting sore hands and maybe dropping some of the pre-Xmas lard, which I guess was the whole point of Crazy Bear...
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Draggon »

Total respect, Mike, but no f'in' way for me! :)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

No way for me either, as it turned out.
Got to just past half way, but then had a combination of work, injury and minor illness interruptions that left me with insufficient time (and motivation) to complete.

Had a vague thought of trying the January version, but have so far stalled at 1...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Having another go on the January Crazy Bear (or maybe even the Continuously Crazy Bear)
12 days in (so I feel it is far enough to be worth mentioning), and 13 HMs done (having done a FM yesterday to temporarily get to #1 on the January Challenge Board)

Slow and steady so far.
JonT

Post by JonT »

It's an amazing challenge Mike. I can't even come close to imagining doing it. Fingers crossed you manage to keep going.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

To be honest, it's more of a slog than anything, and the main 'trick' is making sure you tape up any potential blister points on the hands, so that they don't get sore.
And, as ever, it is also, all about the pacing...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

First proper signs of concern today - left wrist and left knee are both getting sore. Left wrist is a consequence of a very slight tendency to twist my wrist rather than keeping it perfectly straight, and over the ~500k so far, this is starting to cause some pain. Left knee is probably just wear and tear and suffering from load.
Didn't help that it was really cold again today (-3.9 at the start, and still -0.7 by the end)
Hopefully these issues settle and I can row normally tomorrow...
JonT

Post by JonT »

Here's hoping the aches and pains improve overnight Mike [-o<
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Not as bad on Sat - was very careful about form to protect the left wrist, and knee was just not as sore.
Sun even went for a 2:07
Today was OK and no real issues.
Keeping on going...
(Thanks for the support!)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Still slogging away.
Generally the body is holding out, but the concern is that you're always just one bad stroke away from an injury, so you have to try to concentrate on decent form, even when you're tired.
You get the odd sudden pain, and are thinking 'I hope it doesn't do that again next stroke', but so far I've been OK.
Not sure how anyone can keep this level of training up continuously, but that said, I guess it is 'all about the pacing'
At least it has warmed up, and rowing in sub-zero temperatures is over for now.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Keep it up Mike. How many to go?

Jon
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I terms of doing them all in January, I did 26th today, so I'm on 27 done (as a consequence of a sneaky FM on the 11th) - 3 to go. (I did one on the 31/12 too, so I'm on 28 back-to-back)
Thank you for asking, Jon!
And I just realised I have got about the only PB I can see myself managing these days - have just beaten my previous record for distance in one month!
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

After an early morning FM today, I've technically completed the CCB (30 HMs done as 26 HMs and 2 FMs on continuous days) if I count from the one I did 31/12.
I'm definitely doing another HM tomorrow, so I will then have the CCB done using only days in January.

Question is, what next? Should I keep going? (Probably will see January out, not so sure after that)
plummy

Post by plummy »

Hi Mike - I should have dipped in much earlier with an "atta-boy" or three for you. Back in the day when I did looney things like this, the team were a major help in getting me to/over the line so it's remiss of me to not return the favour.

Awesome effort there sir ^O^ ^O^ - may as well see January out and then give your body a rest O:)

Dave
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"