Indoor Rowers League 2021-22

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Indoor Rowers League 2021-22

Post by Grobi »

Mike Channin wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:21 am Further to that, Mat has already said he will probably not be able to compete in all rounds, so we already know we need more than 8.
Jon‘s list above is not 100% correct. Richard Lindner has joined the team and taken Mat‘s place, so we are exactly eight rowers.

Excellent effort (as always) from Philip indeed!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I'm on the board 🙂 have a slight adductor strain 👎
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

Peter is right. I had lost track with all of the last minute changes. I think we are now as follows:

Current State of Play....

Philip Price - aboard and rowed
Peter Weiss - aboard and rowed
Richard Lindner- aboard and rowed
Louise Allcock -aboard and rowed
Jon Taylor - aboard and rowed
Chris Newberry - aboard and rowed
Dave Plumb - aboard and rowed
Mike Channin - aboard and rowed
Kevin Horner - aboard and rowed
Iain - ??

Unless Iain pops up this evening it looks like we may have a 9-rower crew for the season. So, no pressure at all to put in an effort each month, starting with the 1-mile sprint in October :fssmile: :fssmile:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

So I decided to have a go at this month’s IRL challenge, even though I’m no longer part of our 8x8 team. Did a fairly miserable 932 meters, but I haven’t been able to enter my results on the website. When I go into the website, it recognises me and shows that I am a member of Free Spirits IRC but not of the 8x8 team. It allows me to enter my time plus photographic evidence, but my name then fails to appear in the rankings.

Any ideas what I need to do to get them to recognise my entry?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

Paul Victory wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 pm So I decided to have a go at this month’s IRL challenge, even though I’m no longer part of our 8x8 team. Did a fairly miserable 932 meters, but I haven’t been able to enter my results on the website. When I go into the website, it recognises me and shows that I am a member of Free Spirits IRC but not of the 8x8 team. It allows me to enter my time plus photographic evidence, but my name then fails to appear in the rankings.

I have not experienced this Paul. I would email news@indoorrowers.org
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

JonT wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:41 pm
Paul Victory wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:48 pm So I decided to have a go at this month’s IRL challenge, even though I’m no longer part of our 8x8 team. Did a fairly miserable 932 meters, but I haven’t been able to enter my results on the website. When I go into the website, it recognises me and shows that I am a member of Free Spirits IRC but not of the 8x8 team. It allows me to enter my time plus photographic evidence, but my name then fails to appear in the rankings.

I have not experienced this Paul. I would email news@indoorrowers.org
Thanks Jon

I posted about it in the IRL Facebook group and got a response telling me to enter the result without the photo. I tried this and it worked!

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Hi Paul, I think you still need to edit your profile and select Free Spirits as the 8 on 8 team. For timezone reasons you may have until midday UTC to do this. Great to have a full boat! Louise
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Shmoo wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:03 am Hi Paul, I think you still need to edit your profile and select Free Spirits as the 8 on 8 team. For timezone reasons you may have until midday UTC to do this. Great to have a full boat! Louise
Hi Louise

I only just saw this now. I think it’s the best 8 to count in any event, so my distance would not have counted.

I dropped out of the team because I can’t commit to being able to row every month (or at all, if my back gets worse). I can’t remember who took my place, but maybe they intend entering a time in future months? If not, I’m happy to be added back onto the team (if this is permitted), but only if there is nobody else willing to take the spot.

Paul V
JonT

Post by JonT »

Paul Victory wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:06 am
Shmoo wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:03 am Hi Paul, I think you still need to edit your profile and select Free Spirits as the 8 on 8 team. For timezone reasons you may have until midday UTC to do this. Great to have a full boat! Louise
Hi Louise

I only just saw this now. I think it’s the best 8 to count in any event, so my distance would not have counted.

I dropped out of the team because I can’t commit to being able to row every month (or at all, if my back gets worse). I can’t remember who took my place, but maybe they intend entering a time in future months? If not, I’m happy to be added back onto the team (if this is permitted), but only if there is nobody else willing to take the spot.

Paul V
You are correct Paul. Top-8 scores count, but it is always good to have a full boat. However, as I understand it the boats are now "locked" until the end of the season. Your seat was taken during the "musical chairs" period that we had before the end of the month, and in theory we have a full boat, but Iain didn't register for the team in time, and so we have a nine-seat boat until next year by the look of it. If you think you will be putting in some times this season then you could try to set your team to Free Spirits and see what happens.
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Some mile times already starting to be added. Philip Price once again setting an excellent standard
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
chrisnew

Post by chrisnew »

Great to see some good efforts already. Just added mine, a little disappointed as wanted to beat my recent 2km ob pace, but the body said no tonight. Will try again if I get chance

Trying to make this season the season of the PB!
plummy

Post by plummy »

First go at the mile last night. Lost about 10s of pace over last year so not very impressed but it gets a score logged. There may be a handful of seconds to grab back but I doubt much more than that.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks to all who have already put in a time.

I have a back problem that is getting worse by the day despite lots of rest and yoga. I am not sure whether I will be able to put in a time this month. I’ll give it another week and see where I stand. #-o
Richard Lindner

Post by Richard Lindner »

Managed to put a time in today. Supposed to be a marker to see what I could do but started quick so decided to go with it. In the end I was on the ragged edge with nothing left in the tank. It’s not impressive and I doubt I could improve on it but it’s a time and it’s logged :fssmile:
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
JonT

Post by JonT »

We're in pretty good shape at the moment. Thanks to Peter, Plummy, Philip, Chris, Mike and Richard for putting in a time already. With a week and half to go we just need times from Kevin, Louise and myself. My back is improving, so I will definitely put in some sort of time, but I don't imagine I will be contributing a scoring time this month.

Jon
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Been a bit lethargic and off form of late, but finally managed to have a proper go at this, and got down to 5:35.0 (1:44.1) R30.
Feel like I should be able to find more, but I'm severely lacking work at this kind of intensity and it showed.

Fingers crossed for your back, Jon!
Richard - love the variation on 'how to keep an idiot in suspense'. (So what _was_ the time then???)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

Great work lads! Sorry to hear about your back Jon - hope it's holding up after your test row. I've put a time in too now - and a slightly faster one than last year :D. Definitely looking forward to something a bit easier paced next month.
Louise
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

It's in my schedule 👍 had some big sessions in the last 10 days 🤢 got them out of the way now 😎
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well done all. Looking forward to your time Kevin.

I put in a time today to make sure we had a qualifying crew. I was hoping for sub-6 minutes, but just didn't have it in me after so little rowing and looking after the back. Managed 6:06.9.

We are the fastest boat in the pack at the moment, but I'm waiting for the traditional surge of late entries from the dominant teams. :roll:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Looking ahead (as I'm not sure I fancy another go at the mile), we have 6344m for November, and then 5k in December.

(Anyone remember the significance of the 6344m - is it the boat race course? I thought that was 6.8km)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Aha - got it - it is reference to 'Touching the Void' - as discussed under the same circumstances 4 years ago! (https://freespiritsrowing.com/forum/vie ... &start=100)
Richard Lindner

Post by Richard Lindner »

Mike Channin wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 pm Been a bit lethargic and off form of late, but finally managed to have a proper go at this, and got down to 5:35.0 (1:44.1) R30.
Feel like I should be able to find more, but I'm severely lacking work at this kind of intensity and it showed.

Fingers crossed for your back, Jon!
Richard - love the variation on 'how to keep an idiot in suspense'. (So what _was_ the time then???)
Mike, I felt a bit embarrassed to post such a slow time on here but it was 6:51:8 (2:07.9) :oops: There, I told you it was unimpressive :lol:
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Mike, I felt a bit embarrassed to post such a slow time on here but it was 6:51:8 (2:07.9) :oops: There, I told you it was unimpressive :lol:
Any time is better than no time, and it is probably harder to post what you consider a bad time than a good one!
We all have good spells and bad spells, and none of us are getting any younger, either. Well done for trying and helping the team!
Soon you'll be flying!
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Mike Channin wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm Any time is better than no time, and it is probably harder to post what you consider a bad time than a good one!
Absolutely! Thanks for posting a time for October Richard and good luck with the 6344m for November!

I had my first go at this distance last night, and considering it was my first longish hard row for on the erg for six months I'm kind of pleased with the result:
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (31.14 KiB) Viewed 8324 times

I reckoned that a 2:00 pace should be doable but that felt too comfortable :evil: I managed to negative split the whole thing but it got really tough towards the end, saw a 185 h/r just before the finish line.
This is almost 3 seconds slower in pace than one year ago, but like Mike said, no one of us is getting younger. And then there are still 27 days left of the month for another go :evil:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

That's a great first effort Peter. You were really shifting on those last 2m ;-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky