Foot straps and othe questions

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

wojtek
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Foot straps and othe questions

Post by wojtek »

Good evening folks,

An oft neglected subject but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on this.

I am 181 cm (5 ft 11" and a bit) and have a foot size of about 45-47 (epending onthe shoe/boot/welly), essentially a 10.5-11.5 British shoe size.

I have forever had my feet strapped in at positon number 1, but have never managed to get my shins vertical. I watched a bit of RowAlong (fantastic by the way) and read a bit about it.

I changed to position four, and though my toes felt like they were over the top, the position felt more comfortable.

I also noticed that when Jon rowed the handle went almost to the very end, is that normal, or is it that he has great flexibility and has massively long arms, and is generally a tall bloke?

Any tips on foot strap settings would be great.

Many thanks,

Woj

Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Re: Foot straps and othe questions

Post by Shmoo »

I have often wondered the same. I’m in position 4 because it feels comfy, but as a LW female, I find there is little weight to keep me attached to the seat when “sprinting” (quotes to signify all things are relative :fsbgrin: ). I wondered if a different foot position might change the angle and glue me on a bit? But I haven’t changed because anything different feels awkward - although possibly just because it’s different - and I don’t sprint much anyway. Interest to hear opinions though. Louise
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Shmoo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:23 am I have often wondered the same. I’m in position 4 because it feels comfy, but as a LW female, I find there is little weight to keep me attached to the seat when “sprinting” (quotes to signify all things are relative :fsbgrin: ). I wondered if a different foot position might change the angle and glue me on a bit? But I haven’t changed because anything different feels awkward - although possibly just because it’s different - and I don’t sprint much anyway. Interest to hear opinions though. Louise
Ever thought of rowing strapless - takes a while to get comfortable with but it teaches you more control on the stroke and it works wonders for your core.
Other than TT's and high SPM sprints(which I don't do anyway), you don't really need to strap in.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

There are a lot of people who are far more qualified to comment than I am, however....

I am a UK size 10.5 and row on position 5. I changed from 4 when I read about making sure that the strap is across the widest part of your foot. What I don't know is why that is the correct position.

I agree with Paul, that for the majority of rowing, going without straps makes very little difference to performance. I was surprised to discover this, but I still row with straps for some reason. But I suppose your question isn't really about rowing without straps anyway.

In terms of the handle position at the catch...I am 1.8m high. My stroke length is 1.45-1.48. I am very careful not to over lean at the finish which means the handle is pretty close to the front of the machine at the catch. I suspect I am overextending a little at the catch and keep meaning to take some video to see exactly what is going on. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about where the handle is at the catch. If you have shins close to vertical, a solid posture and heels planted (or close to planted) you are doing OK no matter where the handle is.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

My technique is terrible, so please take notice of any conflicting advice. i am also 1:80 (or was) with size 9.5 feet and row at position 3 normally, but take that up to 2 or occasionally 1 for standalone sprints (means you don't go as far forward and push horizontally to make it easier to stay seated, although I still come off seat quite often at >70SPM).
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I'd start at ankle mobility 👍
The squat university has done some great videos on YouTube 😎 technique & full range of movement go hand in hand.
What is your stroke length on erg data ??

That's just a start 🙈
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Ever thought of rowing strapless
I have started rowing warm ups and cool downs strapless Paul - mainly because of reading you advocating it! I could probably manage my slow steady rows strapless now, but I’m quite sure not anything very fast. Something to aim for... I imagine my technique leaves a lot to be desired, but also slightly improved thanks to your recommending rowalong videos Jon, useful and hilarious in equal amounts. Carrots...

Interested to hear I’m not the only one losing the seat Iain. I’ll try moving up a notch (ie numerically down) and see if that helps. I also row at very low df (no core, no strength :lol: ) which probably doesn’t help.

Enjoying reading all the contributions. So much to learn!
Louise
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

All my warm ups are strapless too 👍 I'm 179cm but size 12-13 feet 😳 I dont fall over in the snow😂
jolo
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by jolo »

I recommend strapless for almost everything. Ill strap in for hard intervals or a ctc but otherwise I can't stand using the straps.
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
wojtek

Post by wojtek »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:57 pm I'd start at ankle mobility 👍
The squat university has done some great videos on YouTube 😎 technique & full range of movement go hand in hand.

That's just a start 🙈
I´ll have a row and send you the information.

Woj

duffyoz
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

At 5'7" and a bit and I believe a men's 9.5 running shoe (I have wide feet), I have poor ankle mobility and yes I regularly do the standard stretching/mobilising things but I haven't gained much in 18 months in that department. Greater ankle mobility is good for rowing though as you can keep your heels down enabling a better push and more immediate connection to the chain. I warm down strapless but I apparently don't rely on the straps unless it is a sprint session anyway. I put the straps across the widest part of my foot but moved up one notch on the advice of a rowing coach to enable me to reach just slightly more forward. I definitely can't reach the front and my shins are straight. On a 4 now (from memory).

Not sure thats much help to anyone though.
wojtek

Post by wojtek »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:57 pm I'd start at ankle mobility 👍

That's just a start 🙈
Between 1.09 and 1.15 is my stroke length.

I am now using the spacing of 3 and feel much more comfortable. I feel I can finally get my shins into a near vertical position.

Woj

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I'm no rowing coach. But I would say that stroke is short of your potential.

I'm 179cm size 12 feet in position 1.
My stroke length is 1.30 to 1.36. I would say Jon's is very healthy at 1.45 to 1.48

Have a look at this YouTube clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_G6kUbc-hl4

Squat university is well worth looking at. Especially on mobility. Even basic stretching like touching your toes etc is going to help.

Lots going on in any rowing stroke though. Technique flexibility strength & endurance.

Best of luck improving Woj 👍
wojtek

Post by wojtek »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:19 pm I'm no rowing coach. But I would say that stroke is short of your potential.

I'm 179cm size 12 feet in position 1.
My stroke length is 1.30 to 1.36. I would say Jon's is very healthy at 1.45 to 1.48

Have a look at this YouTube clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_G6kUbc-hl4

Squat university is well worth looking at. Especially on mobility. Even basic stretching like touching your toes etc is going to help.

Lots going on in any rowing stroke though. Technique flexibility strength & endurance.

Best of luck improving Woj 👍
Cheers,

I will have a look and see what I can make of it. Mind you that won´t be for another couple of weeks as I just damaged myself and my ankle.

Woj