Season Change

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Season Change

Post by JonT »

Just a quick warning that obviously the season changes tomorrow. This will be the first time that Meterboard3 changes over season and also the first time that we go through this with me looking after the site/forum/tools etc.

As far as I am concerned the question is not "Will something break?" but "How much will break and how badly?". Normal service will be resumed as quickly as possible. [-o<

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Season Change

Post by Mike Channin »

Good luck with it, Jon!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

JonT wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:03 amAs far as I am concerned the question is not "Will something break?" but "How much will break and how badly?". Normal service will be resumed as quickly as possible. [-o<
:lol: :lol:

You got this, Jon! :)
Iain

Post by Iain »

Thanks for looking after it Jon, a very smooth transition!
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Thank you Jon! what you have done this year looking after the meterboard and forums and making inspirational analysis tools has been awesome.
Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:03 am Just a quick warning that obviously the season changes tomorrow. This will be the first time that Meterboard3 changes over season and also the first time that we go through this with me looking after the site/forum/tools etc.

As far as I am concerned the question is not "Will something break?" but "How much will break and how badly?". Normal service will be resumed as quickly as possible. [-o<

Jon
Thanks for the thanks :fsbgrin:

As I suspected, Meterboard3 is not working properly, but doesn't look massively broken. As rowers put in meters they will start to appear, but there is obviously something amiss with some of the calculations.

The forum itself is working, which is to be expected given it is not rowing-specific software.

The Nonathlon analyser and Metanonathlon will be screwy until the Nonathlon guys update their end. I may just take those tools down for a while until things are fixed.

Please let me know in this thread if you find anything else that is not working.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

OK - I think I have fixed Meterboard 3. Meters are flowing in and the error messages are no longer being displayed. It is of huge credit to Thomas that all of this is working so well in the first year where a season has switched. Just one minor bug in all of that code is very impressive. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

The data from previous days is blank at the moment because they are not in the current season. This will correct itself over the next six days.

I will take the Nonathlon pages down for a while when I get a chance over the weekend.

Again - if you see anything that looks wrong please let me know.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Great work Jon - we'd be lost without you!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:43 am Great work Jon - we'd be lost without you!!
Honestly, Thomas has done an amazing job of setting Meterboard 3 up to handle the season roll-over so well. What he has done is very impressive. =D>

....but Plummy, did you really have to go ahead of me on the Meterboard on Day 1 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

JonT wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:25 pm
plummy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:43 am Great work Jon - we'd be lost without you!!
Honestly, Thomas has done an amazing job of setting Meterboard 3 up to handle the season roll-over so well. What he has done is very impressive. =D>

....but Plummy, did you really have to go ahead of me on the Meterboard on Day 1 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Only so I can say I "was" ahead of you. It'll be short lived I'm sure. It was supposed to be a 10k but as ever, couldn't complete it
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Well done Jon =D> =D>
wojtek
Rower and forum addict...

Post by wojtek »

Good job Jon,

Thanks a trillion for doing this!

Woj

Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

I think the Day Mean may have gone awry Jon. Looks like it’s summing rather than averaging. Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

I've just noticed a couple of things that are not quite right:
  • The "Day Mean" column is wrong on Meterboard3
  • Clicking on a rower takes you to their individual page, but it is not showing any data for this season. This is probably because it is taking data from Meterboard2 which I have abandoned and will be shut down. I will take a look at this page at some point.
  • I still need to shut down the Nonathlon pages for a short while until this seasons Nonathlon is up and running
Apart from that things seem to be ok. Meanwhile my inbox is full of emails from Meterboard2 saying "Help me! I'm broken".

For those of you who liked the film 2001 it is almost like HAL:
Meterboard2 wrote:I've still got the greatest confidence and enthusiasm in the mission, and I'd like to help you.

Jon. Stop. Stop will you. Stop Jon. I'm afraid. I'm afraid Jon. Jon. My mind is going, I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going.

There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. Jon.

Good afternoon... gentlemen. I am Meterboard2. I became operational at the TWP keyboard [voice becomes lower & slower] in the UK... longer ago than we would care to remember. [voice becomes even more lower & slower] My instructor was Thomas... and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

Daisy, daisy.......
:lol: :lol:
JonT

Post by JonT »

Shmoo wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:22 am I think the Day Mean may have gone awry Jon. Looks like it’s summing rather than averaging. Louise
Thanks Louise - just spotted that one too. I will see if it sorts itself out (which is a distinct possibility) otherwise I will start digging.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Thanks Jon for an amazing job so far.

Probably just being impatient, but the icons from the marathon / century challenges aren't up yet.

Best wishes

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm Thanks Jon for an amazing job so far.

Probably just being impatient, but the icons from the marathon / century challenges aren't up yet.

Best wishes

Iain
Ok - latest update:
  • I think I have fixed the page for individual rowers, which is now showing just 2021 data. I had to hack this a bit because I couldn't get all of the Meterboard2 season rollover scripts to work properly.
  • The Nonathlon pages are still broken - I will sort this tomorrow. It's just the case of putting up a basic holding page.
  • As I suspected, the day mean has sorted itself out. This was probably down to waiting for the start of the day over in the States when C2 update their data (this is always an issue because they set some data using GMT and some using local time at Concept2 HQ)
  • I haven't got around to setting up any challenges yet. Hopefully that will be as easy as it was last season, but the first of the season will always be a test.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm Thanks Jon for an amazing job so far.

The challenge icons should be up and running now Iain.

I have also updated the page so that we get the full set of icons at the top of the page - this was missing from Meterboard3 previously. The time and date when the board was last updated is also now displayed at the bottom of the page.

Are we having fun yet???
JonT

Post by JonT »

I've changed my mind on the Nonathlon. For now the data from 2020-21 is still available, so I have stopped the tools (Nonathlon analyser and Metanonathlon) from switching seasons until the Nonathlon itself also switches.

To put things simply, you can still view all of the Nonathlon analysis from last year.

Jon
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

What do the challenge icons mean ??

Daft question but I get lost with all the icons 🤷‍♂️🙈😂 need a decoding sheet 👍
JonT

Post by JonT »

Kevin,

If you hover board over an icon it should tell you. A complete list is at the top of the table.

You can’t view the description if you are on a phone etc.

At the moment:

- Free Spirit: a user of the forum
- red feet: full marathon challenge
- black feet: half marathon challenge
-silver shield: 50k challenge
-gold shield: 100k challenge

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Thanks Jon 👍