Indoor Rowers League 20/21

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Indoor Rowers League 20/21

Post by fkoene »

After a CTC last Saturday went for the 10K today. First goal was 39 minutes, which turned out to be possible. Next target was my SB, which was 38:54. Also within reach, managed to get to 38:48.4.
Perhaps I can go even a little bit faster, but not sure so I don't know whether I will have another go.
More likely I'll do another CTC since that was a couple of seconds slower then my SB.
Good luck everyone.
IRL maa 21.JPG
IRL maa 21.JPG (39.64 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I read on a separate Facebook thread that the IRL is closing down after this year's event - can anyone else confirm that they have heard this?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote:I read on a separate Facebook thread that the IRL is closing down after this year's event - can anyone else confirm that they have heard this?
See my post from yesterday Plummy. I have heard this too. It is one of the reasons the Fitness Matters challenge was cancelled and then brought back - because IRL will be ending. Like all these things though, we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

Mid-Month Warning: We have four rowers in the boat so far this month. Don't leave it too late folks. 10K is not to be taken for granted [-o<
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Back seems to be OK again (I can at least reach to put my socks on now :lol: ) so I took the advantage of a day off work (Happy St Patrick’s Day!) to crank out a 10k. Was woefully slow - 4 mins off my best from just a few months ago - but I guess that reflects zero rowing for about six weeks. Not sure I’ll get much faster in just a couple of weeks but at least it will be a score of sorts. Louise
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Thanks for putting in a score for the team Louise :fswink: I just hope you won‘t regret it tomorrow :shock:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

No ill effects Peter. Took a couple of days before I was confident to say that but all resulting aches appear to have been transient :D :fsbgrin: Will I go faster by the end of the month? Hmmmm. Maybe...
Louise
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Shmoo wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:25 pm Will I go faster by the end of the month? Hmmmm. Maybe...
Louise
You know there‘s only one way to find out :evil: :fswink: And I‘m convinced you will be faster :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT

Post by JonT »

1 week Remaining...

Thanks for putting in a time Louise =D> =D>

We now have five seats filled and five seats empty. Any chance of some other times being entered? [-o< [-o<
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the reminder Jon. I hadn't gone anywhere near the erg so far this month, but decided that doing a 10K would be a good way to break the ice! :roll: :lol:

I watched TV and only occasionally glanced at the monitor, my sole objective being to finish the distance. I ended up with what was probably my slowest ever row over ANY distance - 48:49.1 @ 2:26.5 pace. But I guess that even an abysmally slow time is better than no time. Right??? [-o<

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

Paul Victory wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:10 pm Thanks for the reminder Jon. I hadn't gone anywhere near the erg so far this month, but decided that doing a 10K would be a good way to break the ice! :roll: :lol:

I watched TV and only occasionally glanced at the monitor, my sole objective being to finish the distance. I ended up with what was probably my slowest ever row over ANY distance - 48:49.1 @ 2:26.5 pace. But I guess that even an abysmally slow time is better than no time. Right??? [-o<

Paul V
Absolutely correct Paul =D> =D>
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks to all who have put in a time this month. Not an easy distance 10k. =D> =D>

We have a full boat with eight rowers. It remains to be seen if Colin and Kevin put in a time. Colin has not competed since January, but did say he may jump back on the erg soon. Kevin has not added any meters to the Meterboard for a few weeks, so I'm not hopeful.

Anyway, thanks again for helping us get a full boat. Just the 500m to do now and then we see if this competition ever runs again. :(

I had a look a the individual rankings this morning. Just in case you are interested:

Position out of 267 rowers. Number in brackets is events rowed

39. Richard (7)
47. Fred (7)
59. Peter (7)
60. Me (7)
84. Plummy (7)
122. Kevin (6)
124. Paul (7)
125. Philip (7)
130. Louise (7)
194. Colin (4)

Many thanks to all who have rowed all 7 events so far, some of whom have struggled with fitness, motivation or both =D> =D>
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Sorry for the lack of communication guys. I put a banker in a couple of weeks ago with the hope of a serious go later. But time has beaten me.
Briefly my father in law has had an op for cancer & needs more chemo but the week before this was due to start my brother in law died also from cancer that we thought was under control 🙈 so I'm looking forward to the end of March !!
My new model D arrived 2 weeks ago & I haven't even opened the box yet.
I'll be back soon guys 👍
JonT

Post by JonT »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:29 am Sorry for the lack of communication guys. I put a banker in a couple of weeks ago with the hope of a serious go later. But time has beaten me.
Briefly my father in law has had an op for cancer & needs more chemo but the week before this was due to start my brother in law died also from cancer that we thought was under control 🙈 so I'm looking forward to the end of March !!
My new model D arrived 2 weeks ago & I haven't even opened the box yet.
I'll be back soon guys 👍
Really sorry to hear your news Kevin.
Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

So sorry for your loss Kevin. We are looking forward to having you back and to happier times. Louise
plummy

Post by plummy »

So to hear of your loss Kevin - condolences. Come back when you feel ready.

Dave
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

My condolences as well, Kevin.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Thanks guys. He was only 60 ran an artic marathon, cyclist & well travelled before cancer. Covid meant that his wife & children only got to see him for 6 hours of the 4 weeks he was in hospital. Another reminder for me to live life to the full & make sure the people you love know it 👍
Going to build my dream gym now 🙂😎
JonT

Post by JonT »

Gentle nudge - only Philip and Plummy have posted a time for the 500m so far this month. 10 days remain.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

JonT wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:45 pm Gentle nudge - only Philip and Plummy have posted a time for the 500m so far this month. 10 days remain.
Noted Guvnor 👍 might even use the shiny new model D 😂 been busy playing with the Bike-erg & Ski-erg 🙈

New season coming up. Will the league be running again Jon ?? Thanks again for all your organising skills with the rabble 🙂
JonT

Post by JonT »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:59 pm New season coming up. Will the league be running again Jon ?? Thanks again for all your organising skills with the rabble 🙂
It isn't clear whether IRL will run again next year. Sebastien (who manages the competition) made the following announcement at the start of this season...
Dear all, I just want to let you know that I have taken the decision to continue with the indoor leagues for one more season.
The new season is due to start on the 1st of September 2020.
As I’m not right now in good health condition there is still a risk of a delayed start.
So, it doesn't look like it will run again, but only time will tell.
Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

And then there were 3 :fsbgrin:
My 1:56.5 is going to look ever so slow compared to you lads but it gave me 900 nonathlon points, so not so tardy after all. Amazing what a few weeks steady rowing can do for your fitness...
May I just say what a pleasure it's been rowing with ye all. I'd have done far less this year without a team to bat for.
Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

Shmoo wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 pm And then there were 3 :fsbgrin:
My 1:56.5 is going to look ever so slow compared to you lads but it gave me 900 nonathlon points, so not so tardy after all. Amazing what a few weeks steady rowing can do for your fitness...
May I just say what a pleasure it's been rowing with ye all. I'd have done far less this year without a team to bat for.
Louise
Well done Louise! Don't sell yourself short - the adjusted time for that row is 1:25!!!

I agree that events like this add some spice and motivation to the season. I will be putting in one or two efforts over the next few days and hoping to improve on my 841 Nonathlon points :oops: #-o

Jon
Shmoo

Post by Shmoo »

the adjusted time for that row is 1:25!!!
I like your thinking Jon. I’ll take the 1:25 :lol:

That 841 is an outlier. I imagine you’re going to smash it this week! No pressure :fsbgrin:
JonT

Post by JonT »

Shmoo wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:48 pm That 841 is an outlier. I imagine you’re going to smash it this week! No pressure :fsbgrin:
Well I had a bash. I have to be honest, I really wasn't feeling like it. My Hay Fever is particularly bad for me at the moment. It is giving me very poor sleep and my breathing isn't great either. So, tired and slightly breathless I set off. As you say Louise, my current SB looked like an outlier, especially given it was exactly the same pace as my 1K SB :oops: :oops: :fsbgrin: so I was expecting to improve on that, but by how much?

I decided to aim for 1:40. I have had a number of PBs this season, but the way I was feeling I knew a PB was not on the cards. I just scraped under the target with a 1:39.5. I was really fading at the end, rowing 1:42 so I don't think there is a chance of getting better than that this month.

On the bright side I got a 50 point Nonathlon haul and a full-house of green in the Metanonathlon :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

So.....now we have four rowers in a boat and another four required. 6 days to go.