what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by JonT »

duffyoz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:06 am Boring I know but now at just over 8 weeks post surgery I have been allowed to row for 10 min a day, gently. Biking is allowed so now doing an hour on the bikerg most days as well. Taken me most of the last week to settle back into a passable rhythm and now doing 5 x 3 min. I realise that is more than 10 min but not by much and all feels well. I did ask today to be allowed to do more but a resounding no was the answer. I guess more biking for me for another week. Best to get it right now instead of pay for it later.
Good to hear that you are back in the saddle (literally) Lesley. :fswink:
55 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Now allowed up to 30min rowing, no sprinting. Relegated the bikeerg to warmup duties, largely. I dont want to waste row time on a warmup. Won't be long before im fully back but it will be lots of tedious 75% hr work to rebuild a base.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Great that you are getting there.
52 year old Lwt (in ability and weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and start rowing regularly now I am working again.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Progress is ahead of schedule at the moment - was planning to do a 30R20 at DF 300 before the season is over to see how close I can get to my 30R20 SB(7161m), which was set at DF 250.
Felt strong today after a nice easy session this morning - set out at a very conservative pace (2:10.7 for the first 6 min split) and then thought about ramping it up to try and get close to 7000m.
Neg splitted down to 2:02.7, completing with 7122m.
Felt way better than on my SB row(probably an RPE of 6 today compared with 7.5-8 the other day).
Still nervous about testing out my CV system so planning to keep the spm below 22 for the foreseeable future, and see how I get on.

Update Wed 10th: Did a 10km at a higher spm - set off very gently, first 2k split at 2:11@22spm, neg split through the next 3 at 21spm and the last 2k at 2:02@22spm.
Felt very comfortable throughout which was encouraging.

Distance : 10km
Time : 42:21.7
SPM : 21.4
DF : 300

Paul G
55, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 88 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Progress in distance on the rower. I seem to be moving in paired rows. All at low spm to rebuild. Getting there slowly but at least all in one piece.

Another straight 8k at 18spm <75% HR this morning to add to that screen. Only 33,712m short of crossing the 2 mill on the rower this season.
March so far.jpg
March so far.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 819 times
JonT

Post by JonT »

Great to see the progress Lesley. That 2million is in the bag surely =D> =D>
55 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Another 12k to add on the erg this morning. Trying to think of different ways to add low rate pieces. Since the restraints were largely removed on Tuesday, just a warning to continue to build and a warning to not leap straight into sprint work, I made up this session. 2k warm up at 18spm (no bike wu), 4k/3k/2k/1k at 18/20/22/24, just 30s rest between to mentally reset and grab a mouthful of water. I focused on the rating and not the hr. That 24 was tough to hold as I haven't been there for a while.
17 mar session.jpg
17 mar session.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Iain

Post by Iain »

If those % are % of max HR, I am very envious. My HR would be way higher. Might just make those numbers based on the paces upto the 2k on a good day, but only rating 3SPM lower for the first 2 and 5SPM for the 2k. The 1k would see my HR getting to about 90%. Looks like you have a great base to work off, so I am sure you will be rushing ahead again soon.
52 year old Lwt (in ability and weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and start rowing regularly now I am working again.
Ian Bee
True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

duffyoz wrote: Trying to think of different ways to add low rate pieces.
My 2p would be to try the Fletcher plan. While it's underlying objective is to prepare for marathon distances, it's generally all about relatively moderate pace pieces. You can (as I have) base it around a low key 2km pace to keep the intensity in check.

The screen shot is my cheat Google drive spreadsheet to lay out the 12 week program.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

[40 / 5'7" / 74kg] - Pete Plan Adventure
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Thanks Ian. I haven't tried the Fletcher plan per se but have read about it. I'll keep this in the back of my mind for now.

I used to have Sarah Gibbs (UK) write my erg program for me instead of hurting my own brain. Brilliant work since I went from well over 8min 2k to 7:40 in the year. I am going to give an OTW rowing coach a go this year. He runs erg classes 3 times a week, which is where I met him, and he is happy to write a year long plan which all sounded very serious and very interesting. He is also happy to work with my ex phys as well so everything should be in sync. Being in person might make a difference as well. Always give 100% - except when giving blood !

Not sure what I have let myself in for but it will be fun :lol:

Cheers, Lesley
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Had probably my best row since my CA last year, as well as the longest row I have ever done on max DF.
I know that RPE is a very subjective measure, but I reckon I was a 3-4 RPE today - it all felt very relaxed and easy and it seems like the long walks I have been doing recently are starting to bear fruit.
It was also the 9th Nonathlon entry giving me a full house(excluding the FM,which I haven't attempted since 2013!!)

Tale of the tape:

Distance : 21097m
Time : 1:30.31.4
SPM : 21.3
DF : 350
(Strapless)

Paul G
55, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 88 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

My phone went off and told me to self isolate for a week. So with nothing else to do I've been hitting the rower more than normal. Been doing some big calorie burners - which is a good thing as I've been doing some big eating and drinking lately!! I've tested negative so back to work next week and back to some sort of normal.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking