what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by JonT »

duffyoz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:06 am Boring I know but now at just over 8 weeks post surgery I have been allowed to row for 10 min a day, gently. Biking is allowed so now doing an hour on the bikerg most days as well. Taken me most of the last week to settle back into a passable rhythm and now doing 5 x 3 min. I realise that is more than 10 min but not by much and all feels well. I did ask today to be allowed to do more but a resounding no was the answer. I guess more biking for me for another week. Best to get it right now instead of pay for it later.
Good to hear that you are back in the saddle (literally) Lesley. :fswink:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Now allowed up to 30min rowing, no sprinting. Relegated the bikeerg to warmup duties, largely. I dont want to waste row time on a warmup. Won't be long before im fully back but it will be lots of tedious 75% hr work to rebuild a base.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Great that you are getting there.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Progress is ahead of schedule at the moment - was planning to do a 30R20 at DF 300 before the season is over to see how close I can get to my 30R20 SB(7161m), which was set at DF 250.
Felt strong today after a nice easy session this morning - set out at a very conservative pace (2:10.7 for the first 6 min split) and then thought about ramping it up to try and get close to 7000m.
Neg splitted down to 2:02.7, completing with 7122m.
Felt way better than on my SB row(probably an RPE of 6 today compared with 7.5-8 the other day).
Still nervous about testing out my CV system so planning to keep the spm below 22 for the foreseeable future, and see how I get on.

Update Wed 10th: Did a 10km at a higher spm - set off very gently, first 2k split at 2:11@22spm, neg split through the next 3 at 21spm and the last 2k at 2:02@22spm.
Felt very comfortable throughout which was encouraging.

Distance : 10km
Time : 42:21.7
SPM : 21.4
DF : 300

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Progress in distance on the rower. I seem to be moving in paired rows. All at low spm to rebuild. Getting there slowly but at least all in one piece.

Another straight 8k at 18spm <75% HR this morning to add to that screen. Only 33,712m short of crossing the 2 mill on the rower this season.
March so far.jpg
March so far.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
JonT

Post by JonT »

Great to see the progress Lesley. That 2million is in the bag surely =D> =D>
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Another 12k to add on the erg this morning. Trying to think of different ways to add low rate pieces. Since the restraints were largely removed on Tuesday, just a warning to continue to build and a warning to not leap straight into sprint work, I made up this session. 2k warm up at 18spm (no bike wu), 4k/3k/2k/1k at 18/20/22/24, just 30s rest between to mentally reset and grab a mouthful of water. I focused on the rating and not the hr. That 24 was tough to hold as I haven't been there for a while.
17 mar session.jpg
17 mar session.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Iain

Post by Iain »

If those % are % of max HR, I am very envious. My HR would be way higher. Might just make those numbers based on the paces upto the 2k on a good day, but only rating 3SPM lower for the first 2 and 5SPM for the 2k. The 1k would see my HR getting to about 90%. Looks like you have a great base to work off, so I am sure you will be rushing ahead again soon.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

duffyoz wrote: Trying to think of different ways to add low rate pieces.
My 2p would be to try the Fletcher plan. While it's underlying objective is to prepare for marathon distances, it's generally all about relatively moderate pace pieces. You can (as I have) base it around a low key 2km pace to keep the intensity in check.

The screen shot is my cheat Google drive spreadsheet to lay out the 12 week program.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Thanks Ian. I haven't tried the Fletcher plan per se but have read about it. I'll keep this in the back of my mind for now.

I used to have Sarah Gibbs (UK) write my erg program for me instead of hurting my own brain. Brilliant work since I went from well over 8min 2k to 7:40 in the year. I am going to give an OTW rowing coach a go this year. He runs erg classes 3 times a week, which is where I met him, and he is happy to write a year long plan which all sounded very serious and very interesting. He is also happy to work with my ex phys as well so everything should be in sync. Being in person might make a difference as well. Always give 100% - except when giving blood !

Not sure what I have let myself in for but it will be fun :lol:

Cheers, Lesley
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Had probably my best row since my CA last year, as well as the longest row I have ever done on max DF.
I know that RPE is a very subjective measure, but I reckon I was a 3-4 RPE today - it all felt very relaxed and easy and it seems like the long walks I have been doing recently are starting to bear fruit.
It was also the 9th Nonathlon entry giving me a full house(excluding the FM,which I haven't attempted since 2013!!)

Tale of the tape:

Distance : 21097m
Time : 1:30.31.4
SPM : 21.3
DF : 350
(Strapless)

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
jainser

Post by jainser »

My phone went off and told me to self isolate for a week. So with nothing else to do I've been hitting the rower more than normal. Been doing some big calorie burners - which is a good thing as I've been doing some big eating and drinking lately!! I've tested negative so back to work next week and back to some sort of normal.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

big dave k wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:26 pm post any training you've done, be it good, bad or indifferent. and then us nosy buggers can start to hurl advice about how you should be pacing yourself and why you should be going even quicker!!!
This is a wonderful thread. It needed to be revived. So I'm posting here about my workouts yesterday. First it was a trail run in the Steinwald forest. Beautiful countryside. Lots of stones. Steepy ground. Fabulous views. And it was ~1k before the lookout I had this intuition to run for a segment, I just roughly new where it started and finished. So I wanted to create a new lap on my garmin to know my time, unfortunately, somehow, I finished the run on that tech equipment- stupidness - so I didn't had a segment time. I would had been the fastest- at least for some time ;-). It doesn't matter at all. I had a great run. A superb training effect. That counts. In the evening I did a relaxed 7k row.

the trailrun
trailrun steinwald.gif
trailrun steinwald.gif (36.17 KiB) Viewed 594 times
290822 7k.gif
290822 7k.gif (48.75 KiB) Viewed 594 times
easy@home on slides
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
JonT

Post by JonT »

Claudius wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:27 am This is a wonderful thread. It needed to be revived. So I'm posting here about my workouts yesterday. First it was a trail run in the Steinwald forest. Beautiful countryside. Lots of stones. Steepy ground. Fabulous views. And it was ~1k before the lookout I had this intuition to run for a segment, I just roughly new where it started and finished. So I wanted to create a new lap on my garmin to know my time, unfortunately, somehow, I finished the run on that tech equipment- stupidness - so I didn't had a segment time. I would had been the fastest- at least for some time ;-). It doesn't matter at all. I had a great run. A superb training effect. That counts. In the evening I did a relaxed 7k row.
The thread has more or less been replaced by the "Pete Plan etc" thread in Training and Racing where a few of us post almost daily on what we have been doing. This thread would have been a more natural place for that conversation, but c'est la vie.

viewtopic.php?t=661
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Yes, I know the Pete Plan thread. Once I followed the plan, I also wrote some results. Any other post following any rowing plan would meet the criteria. Here and there I add an interval session, sometimes it is based on the original PP or modified, since I no longer follow a strict plan I don't post individual interval sessions there. I saw that in the early days people also shared other things in this thread like weightlifting and hiking, so my thought was to revive it was a quote from the first post.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
JonT

Post by JonT »

Claudius wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 am Yes, I know the Pete Plan thread. Once I followed the plan, I also wrote some results. Any other post following any rowing plan would meet the criteria. Here and there I add an interval session, sometimes it is based on the original PP or modified, since I no longer follow a strict plan I don't post individual interval sessions there. I saw that in the early days people also shared other things in this thread like weightlifting and hiking, so my thought was to revive it was a quote from the first post.
The Pete Plan thread now also includes pretty much anything Spidermac, Ian and I are doing. Feel free to post here or there I guess.

Jon
Mat

Post by Mat »

Nice to see your training there Claudius :fsbgrin: I'm a little jealous to see your running - what I miss most about no longer being able to run is getting out and about off road in the woods and the mountains - there's no better feeling!

Back in the day I'd post regularly in the 6:20 thread, but since returning to the erg, I haven't really posted about my training - partly because rowing is only one element of what I'm doing, and secondly because I can't really see a thread in which I felt I would fit. So thanks for resurrecting this one - I'm not sure how often I'll post, but here's a starter

Since my hip replacement, I've been trying to enjoy a mix of cycling (stationary and on the road), rowing and weight training, though I've been neglecting the cycling recently. With the Zwift Racing League due to start again in a couple of weeks, I figured I'd better get back on the Wattbike today for what proved to be a short, sharp but very sweaty session (not helped by the fact that I forgot to turn on the fan!)
Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 09.23.25.png
Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 09.23.25.png (136.85 KiB) Viewed 547 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
spidermac

Post by spidermac »

In response to a few people wanting this thread revived I will post my wouts here & any PP sessions on the PP thread. I think Mr Bee ( he suggested this) & maybe JonT will also be posting here. Hoping this inspires more folk to post!!! :D
Todays effort ( Stolen from JonT) - 5k;4k;3k;2k;1k R90s increasing 2spm each round;
Wup - 1k
Time Dist spm HR split
22:21.1 5000 18 133 02:14.1
17:41.7 4000 20 138 02:12.7
13:05.9 3000 22 141 02:10.9
08:27.7 2000 24 146 02:06.9
04:01.3 1000 26 153 02:00.6
01:05:37 15000 20 142 02:11.2
CD - 1k
5k intervals me no like!! :shock: - felt like it went on forever. Gave it a bit of a push on last interval. :D New HR gubbins arrived fitted it - still no HR so changed battery in my HR strap - issue fixed Doh!!! £22 down the drain!! :twisted:
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Hey Mat, good to hear from you, nice zwift race - I almost forgot how it feels to race with others on zwift - when it comes to the hard time trials...am I alone in this world...alone? ;-) And that's what this thread is about - so anyone can post here, including swimming, weightlifting, zwifting, kundalini yoga (no, I won't post that here). And congrats on a route badge - Park Perimeter Loop - one of my favorite routes for a 2k timetrial! Oh thx spider - I think all PetePlan session are best in the PP thread - it is more if you want to tell if you are also doing some other sports as an excuse why - for my example - the daily meters has gone into the basement...because "my coach" said training should be colorful overall !
(J.R.R.T.)
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

spidermac wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:56 pm
5k intervals me no like!! :shock: - felt like it went on forever. Gave it a bit of a push on last interval. :D New HR gubbins arrived fitted it - still no HR so changed battery in my HR strap - issue fixed Doh!!! £22 down the drain!! :twisted:
This is a tough session, congrats ! A long one ! More than one hour "OTE". What did you do then...just watching the pm5 and its numbers or did you listen to music, watching a movie, closing the eyes ? And yes - this hr-strap issues I know them well - sometimes its the battery, sometimes an old strap...or you forget one to carry with you...and that optical hr from garmin/polar is, no it is not precise !
(J.R.R.T.)
Mat

Post by Mat »

Nice one Spider - can't remember the last time I managed a session that long on the erg (don't seem to have the mental strength at the moment) - kudos for a nice negative split too 8)

Thanks Claudius. I tend to try and join in a race when I'm on Zwift, simply for the benefit of having others around me. Mind you, once the ZRL begins again, I'll be plodding along at the back as I'm in a B Cat League and so tend to begin the race with the simple aim of not being last!

Had a ride out yesterday to drop some stuff off to a friend:
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4011.jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 490 times
Unfortunately my lack of road practice showed when I struggled to unclip my shoe at a junction and ended up yanking the foot of the pedal at the last minute to prevent the humiliation of toppling over in the middle of the road! Unfortunately, this seems to have put a strain on the muscles around the "new" hip and so I'm struggling a bit today. Did some rehab exercises and then decided to use the CTC 2' on / off template as an easy session to exercise the hip. Started easy and then ended up chasing a negative split :lol:
Attachments
IMG_4014.jpg
IMG_4014.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 490 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Not sure I would regard that as easy @Mat ....

Today was some leg weight work (I shan't be worrying any heavy lifters amongst the parish) and shrugs as part of my warm up intervals, followed by a main course of a low SR (for me anyway) hour, trying for FM pace.

In the end, was FM+2 or 3:

According to my vague plan, I let myself off a 10k TT 🫣

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Easy 10k trying to learn to row slower - target was 20 spm, actual average 21… getting there.

Apologies for what will undoubtably be a giant image, still haven’t figured out TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Another 10k in a random "rest day" combination of 10 minute warm up (2027m, 2:28 pace, 24 SPM), followed by a little 4" for the IRL (1130m, 1:46 pace, 29 SPM -- this was actually only 14m short of a new PB, so maybe I shoulda pushed it a little harder. haha.), and then a lax CTC (4007m, 2:00 pace, 27 SPM -- but also rowing 3052m in the rest periods just "for fun").
JonT

Post by JonT »

obirobsan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:41 am Another 10k in a random "rest day" combination of 10 minute warm up (2027m, 2:28 pace, 24 SPM), followed by a little 4" for the IRL (1130m, 1:46 pace, 29 SPM -- this was actually only 14m short of a new PB, so maybe I shoulda pushed it a little harder. haha.), and then a lax CTC (4007m, 2:00 pace, 27 SPM -- but also rowing 3052m in the rest periods just "for fun").
Yep - that's got "rest day" written all over it :lol: :lol: :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: