Holiday Challenge

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Holiday Challenge

Post by JonT »

The holiday challenge started today and runs to Christmas Eve. The challenge icons are set up (I hope) and I may play with a little tool to predict distance etc.

I’ve decided to try for my first FM at the end of the challenge, slowly building up the distances over the next four weeks.

I started with a 60 minute row today. Despite doing a lot of rowing lately I found it quite tough. I averaged 2:10.1 with a rating of 22 and average HR of 164 which is the top of UT1 for me. If anyone has any tips for building from here and surviving 42k then please let me know. My own learning from today was that I need to slow down, fuelling during the row is going to be something to work on, I need to find a way to stay cool, my backside needs to harden up a lot, and I need a way to switch off mentally so I am not focussed too much on how far is left to go and how much this is going to hurt.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Holiday Challenge

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Lots of slow 70%-75%HR. If you can 2 a week at 90 minutes that should strengthen you mentally.
I personally would plan one 25 or 30k as well but no closer than a week before your FM.
Fully hydrated before you start. But have a couple of options of drinks if you wish to stop.
I find it a pain in the arse and never bother.
Work out your food plan before too. Your going to munch 2500 calories at least. You could have an energy gel if your going to stop ?? I never got on with them. Test out all your food & drink options well in advance though with that practice run of 25-30k.
This may sound daft but work out the best time of day for you to do it too. Don't randomly say a day try to pick a hour ish time slot. You can then work backwards from that time for your prep.
If you do it in the morning allow 3 hours from when you get up.

I'm sure you'll have lots more good advice from more experienced marathon people though.

Power to your elbow 💪💪
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Pete always claimed that anyone used to rowing with reasonable fitness could do an FM based on a few 1 hour sessions, but really it is more of a test of resolve. Personally I rarely go much over HM on quicker sessions as it just takes too long to recover. I did do a quick HM and followed with a slow 10k 2min later 2 weeks before my best FM. Really simulated struggling on when legs and quads are sore!

Personally unless in a fridge I need to hydrate during an FM. If you can hook up a Camelbak above and alongside you that works best, but a bit fiddly. Alternatively you can row one handed, I do this, but need to tape my other hand or tears blisters really fast. As for food, be careful, Most people find gels and often even commercial sports drinks too concentrated. Basically if the drink is more concentrated than your body fluids, you can only access them by first depleting your own water to dilute down first. If you are dehydrated then this doesn't happen and you find the sugar stays in your gut and actually dehydrates you. Experienced this on my 111,111m and had to run from erg a few times. For an FM you will be using energy far faster than you can absorb it, so it is only a top up, although one that can stop most of us hitting the dreaded wall.

Best of luck.

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

The wall 😱😱 I will never forget the first time I got hit. 37k !!! I still finished though.

Your never done until your done 👍

Thanks for all your work on this forum Jon =D> I'm sure you'll need a holiday after 42,195 !!
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

I haven't rowed many FM's but when I do I have some sliced bananas next to me and a couple of (wide) cups of water, plastic preferably so they won't break. Approximately after 50 minutes I take a piece of banana and a drink every 5K or so (not together ;) ).
Did one a couple of months ago, always think it will be the last one when I'm finished. What's the point of hurting yourself that much ...
Long after I was finished I had the feeling my brain was still going back and forth.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Thanks all for the comments. Sorry it has taken me a while to come back to this post.

I'm used to long bike rides - the furthest I did was Liverpool - Grimsby - yes that really is an elapsed time over 12 hours. So I know what I can and can't tolerate when it comes to food and drinks. I have always struggled with gels, and actually only benefited from one once when I hit the wall on a long group ride and a fellow cyclist forced me to take one. That was years ago and I can still vividly remember how bad I felt that day! :oops: #-o

I have been doing a lot of 60 minute or 15k rows and can feel the improvement already. The pace isn't improving, nor the HR (by much) but I feel much more comfortable after a couple of weeks of doing this regularly. I actually quite look forward to these sessions.

However, using her best Paddington stare, Mrs T. has vetoed a FM ahead of Christmas. She reminded just how ill I was over the summer, how I had promised to take things easy as I recovered, and gently explained how much trouble I would be in if I over did things and ended up ill for Christmas Day....all very logical, but it was the stare that swung the argument :lol:

So, I will keep plugging away with increased distances without going mad. I'm getting better at grabbing a drink, one-handed while I am rowing, and I like the sliced banana idea. My cycling go-to food is banana, peanut butter sandwiches and jelly babies. I rarely use commercial energy bars. When I am refereeing I use carbohydrate drinks, but I am very well hydrated at the time so they don't give me any issues. I am also experimenting with different positions for fans in my room.

The FM this season is still an ambition, just not this month. Meanwhile, the metres are ticking up nicely for the Holiday Challenge.

Thanks again folks :fssmile:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

I have known cyclists who regularly eat and drink on rides struggle to deal with food on the erg. If you will excuse "the science bit", you are using more of your capilliary network rowing as cooling is required as well as upper body and arms. As a result, even at marathon pace the gut usually shuts down, so practicing eating/drinking calorie containing drinks while rowing is still to be advised.

I know that stare. I get it regularly when I have the temerity to prioritise rowing over housrwork :roll: .

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
jolo
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by jolo »

100k done!! Rowing meters count full and BikeErg meters counting half.
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

That‘s a nice early marker Joe, well done! I take it that you have the 200k in mind?
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Passes the 200K mark today. Have never been there this early. Working at home helps of course, makes it possible to row a bit in stead of going to the coffee-machine for instance. And less traveling to and from work saves time. Nevertheless, pleased with it, number 228 to reach the 200K honor board.
The last few K's I was cooling down from my first CTC attempt this month. Emphasized more on rowing slower and longer, thought the last day would be nice to have a go at this one.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well done Fred. 200k so early is pretty impressive. It looks like that also got you your 1 million metres for the season too.

I’ll get my 100k this week. Hoping to get double snowmen on the Meterboard this year.
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

JonT wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:10 pm Well done Fred. 200k so early is pretty impressive. It looks like that also got you your 1 million metres for the season too.

I’ll get my 100k this week. Hoping to get double snowmen on the Meterboard this year.
When you reach the 100K this week it should absolutely be possible.
And you're right, also passed the million season meters as well yesterday.
JonT

Post by JonT »

fkoene wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:43 pm When you reach the 100K this week it should absolutely be possible.
100k now complete and I am just ahead of the run rate for 200k by the end of the month., so fingers crossed.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

JonT wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 am 100k now complete and I am just ahead of the run rate for 200k by the end of the month., so fingers crossed.
Jon, are you aware that the holiday challenge ends on christmas eve, not at the end of the month? You might want to up your run rate a bit :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT

Post by JonT »

It’s all under control. Yes, I am a nerd. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

love it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Jon, knowing you are now ultra in to the detail, shouldn't the double snowmen show after the single snow man in the icon line? :fsbgrin:
Wolfie

JonT

Post by JonT »

Wolfmiester wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 am Jon, knowing you are now ultra in to the detail, shouldn't the double snowmen show after the single snow man in the icon line? :fsbgrin:
Indeed. But try as I might I can't get them in the "correct" order. I know how to do it in theory, but in practice...... #-o :evil:
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Please don't lose any sleep over it :-)
Wolfie

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Mission Accomplished !
I love repdigits...so 333333m was the goal. As i missed the opportunity to take part on doctors without borders as a young physician...i just choosed this NGO
Attachments
hol chalenge 2020.JPG
hol chalenge 2020.JPG (25.62 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I finally scraped over the 100km mark but seem to be short of a snowman. Do I need to do anything else?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Dave, I can see your snowman. Maybe refresh your browser?

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:25 pm I finally scraped over the 100km mark but seem to be short of a snowman. Do I need to do anything else?
With it being a certain time of year, the Snow Elves are a tad busy and so only go on Holiday Challenge Snowman duty every now and again.

Just because it's you I have given them a prod and they have put together a snowman for you Plummy. The bad news is it was just at the point they were getting your presents onto Santa's sleigh, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope in a couple of days if I were you.

Jon

P.S. In reality the icons on the Meterboard only get updated a few times a day so I ran the process manually for you to speed things up. I still wouldn't hope too much for that PM5 you asked for though :fswink:
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Concept2 have risen the maximum total of donation from 45k to 70k by the way. So if anyone needs a motivation to keep clocking meters for the holiday challenge, here it is :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

jolo
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by jolo »

Grobi wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:52 pm Concept2 have risen the maximum total of donation from 45k to 70k by the way. So if anyone needs a motivation to keep clocking meters for the holiday challenge, here it is :D
That's awesome!! My challenge score is 209739m. Combo of bikeerg and rowerg. The December weather in Michigan has been so good I am mostly out hiking with the dogs.
Probably will be forced indoors before long tho :D
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg