Back in the saddle but no wiser

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Back in the saddle but no wiser

Post by jainser »

Hello,
It's been a while since I rowed 'properly' Couple of years ago I used the rower in the gym for warm up / cool down but realistically my last proper row was Feb '16. Garage had to make way for another car, no where for rower to go so it sat in my father-in-laws shed. Anyway to the present. A new bigger shed has been 'created'(!) in the garden and the rower is back and subsequently I'm back.

So in all my some what limited wisdom I thought I'd get a 2k under my belt as a bench mark.

First 500m was dispatch in a 1:49.9 pace. Felt OK, thinking to myself 'hey ho Pete, all that lockdown eating and drinking clearly had no adverse effect on you supreme level of fitness" Next 500m was 1:51.5 pace. The supreme fitness thoughts quickly washed away and a little fella called 'doubt' popped his little head up and started questioning "what are you doing?". 1000m to 1500m was gone in 1:52.6 pace. Would have loved to kept chatting with 'doubt' but he'd left the building (or shed in this case) as was replaced with his older and much much more scarier brother 'pain 'n' fear' Pain - I was in lots of it and Fear - that I might have to throw the towel in. Luckily for me (and as it happened flash backs from my 'serious' rowing days) old reliable 'stubborn as a mule' came flying through the shed (plenty of gaps, so wasn't difficult) and saved the day with a 1:50.5 pace in the last 500, giving me a grand total of 07:24.5.
Haven't pushed myself like that for years when at the end of a workout I could barely breath and standing was completely out of the question. Weird thing is I absolutely LOVED it!!!
I've since dug out the number of my somewhat erratic friend called 'pace' and we shall be sitting down having a good chat when my body forgives me for what I just put it through.

Clearly a lot of work to do but I'm up for it.

Also having 'ranked' my workout I see I'm now in the 50 - 59 year olds :wink:

Anyway good to back, Hope everyone is well. All good here.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Back in the saddle but no wiser

Post by Wolfmiester »

Nice one Pete, great to hear.
Looking forward to your amusing ramblings on here again :-)
Good luck with the return!
Wolfie
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Ditto!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

If it's any consolation Mr J, the times you quote have NEVER been within my capacity.

(And sadly will probably never be).
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904