Anatomy of a Rower

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Anatomy of a Rower

Post by JonT »

I was sure whether to post this on the Training forum, or The Sanctuary forum or here. Never mind.

For a bit of light "lock down" relief you could have a look at this shortish YouTube video looking at an Olympic, single sculls, silver medal rower and his fitness levels. I enjoyed it. It's a bit dumbed-down in places, but this guy is a machine!

Anatomy of a Rower

For the full impact it is worth watching the Rio final first. The rower in question is Damir Martin (CRO).
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Anatomy of a Rower

Post by fkoene »

Very impressive. And, though it makes one feel humble, also inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

JonT

Re: Anatomy of a Rower

Post by JonT »

fkoene wrote:Very impressive. And, though it makes one feel humble, also inspiring.
I agree. I found it really quite motivating too. Interesting that he does most of his training in the gym and on a bike. He shares my sore back problem, though I suspect his reason is the power he puts through it and mine is I am getting old and decrepit Image

Suitably inspired I did a 10k at 18/20/22/20/18 spm today and beat last year’s unrestricted SB. Maybe I should watch this video before each row!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Anatomy of a Rower

Post by Tako »

Really impressive and motivating!

I really wonder what pace the PM was showing during the testing.

Olaf Tufte, mentioned as one of his inspirations, was supposed to go to Tokyo for yet another olympics; his 7th!!!
I saw him in a talk-show with his wife and they were asked whether he will keep on rowing for yet another year to become a rowing legend and make it to Tokyo next year. It was not decided yet and I wouldn’t be surprised if he did or maybe not. A true wild Viking
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺