May CTC - 3 x 1k / 5 min rest

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Sandbaggerone
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: May CTC - 3 x 1k / 5 min rest

Post by Sandbaggerone »

Wow, Guy, I gave a crack at that pace during lunch yesterday and HDd after interval 1!

Cheers,
Colin
Tempus rerum imperator.
Male, 37, 5'10.5", 160lbs.
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Because this ctc is so much fun :^o I had my fourth go at it last night. Aim was again to beat last time's split in each rep. This is how it went:

image-2019-05-23.jpg
image-2019-05-23.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
First rep went well with a pace 1.1 seconds quicker than last time. Encouraged by that I tried to go a bit faster in the second rep where I managed to go 1.4 seconds quicker in pace. Unfortunately I paid for that in the last rep. With 200m in legs felt already heavy, a bit early for my liking. I tried to at least hold last time's pace of 1:47 for as long as possible but I had to let it drift towards 1:50 until 300m to go. With a decent finish sprint I finally managed to drop the overall pace for this rep down again to 1:46.7, 0.1 seconds faster than last time :D This was hard work for an improvement of just 5 seconds, another 22 seconds to find to beat Steve (which won't happen) :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Despite the physio giving a resounding NO to rowing I have been doing an idle 500m most days and decided since everything felt OK to do the May CTC. Not sure how that is going to feel this afternoon when I have another visit to the physio but it was worth it, just to know I could do it. I just wont mention it to the physio. It is super slow, not quite the slowest on the page but it is a start.
16.44.5 - 2.47.4 - 23

5.37.8 - 2.48.9 - 23
5.35.7 - 2.47.8 - 24
5.31.0 - 2.45.5 - 24
Sandbaggerone
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Sandbaggerone »

Great that you are exercising, but be careful, particularly if you are ignoring physio!

Cheers,
Colin
Tempus rerum imperator.
Male, 37, 5'10.5", 160lbs.
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Thanks for the caution Colin, it is well advised. Since it is a nerve compression issue not muscular based I know almost immediately if it is flaring up again. Well on the road to recovery now (at last), but still some way to go to get muscle strength back, and get full stretch from the nerve. I did tell the physio what I got up to, he raised his rather bushy eyebrows and gave me a caution. He is a comic though as he put a picture of the erg in his rehab gym on his Instagram page with a comment about Friday intervals.
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

The bad news: I had to do this as heavyweight still (77.1 on the scales this morning).
The good news: the result was better than expected with 1:55.2 average pace (1:56.3 / 1:55.5 / 1:53.8 ).
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
jhaveman
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by jhaveman »

Tako wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:05 pm Actually wondering why so many wait with their entries until the last days of the C2CTC challenges.
In my case it's just a case of delaying something unpleasant until there's so little time left that I can't wait much longer :oops:
Especially sprinty intervals are not really my cup of tea, must do more interval training this year :shock:
Rodger wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 am The good news: the result was better than expected with 1:55.2 average pace (1:56.3 / 1:55.5 / 1:53.8 ).
Well done Rodger, and thanks for setting me a nice challenging target!

Yesterday I aborted my first attempt at this CTC after the warmup, but today I felt more optimistic and went for it. The first rep went OK with 1:54.9 pace, but the second was harder at 1:55.4 and for the third I couldn't manage any better than 1:56.5.

Overall pace was 1:55.6, just a bit faster than last year's 2k pace, so not too bad after all - and another boat floated as a bonus :fsbgrin:
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

jhaveman wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:33 pm
Tako wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:05 pm Actually wondering why so many wait with their entries until the last days of the C2CTC challenges.
In my case it's just a case of delaying something unpleasant until there's so little time left that I can't wait much longer :oops:
Especially sprinty intervals are not really my cup of tea, must do more interval training this year :shock:
Ideally I would like to take multiple stabs at every CTC. It helps with picking the right pace and the specific training effect for that challenge. But usually I'm in some sort of comeback mode, so I always believe (or hope) I can do better at the end of the month than early on. I then think (rightly or wrongly) I'm better off continuing my own schedule and leaving the CTC until late. A couple of days of wiggle room is preferred though, so a HD is not fatal.
Also, if I'm hwt, I hope to be lwt later in the month.
jhaveman wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:33 pm
Rodger wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 am The good news: the result was better than expected with 1:55.2 average pace (1:56.3 / 1:55.5 / 1:53.8 ).
Well done Rodger, and thanks for setting me a nice challenging target!

Yesterday I aborted my first attempt at this CTC after the warmup, but today I felt more optimistic and went for it. The first rep went OK with 1:54.9 pace, but the second was harder at 1:55.4 and for the third I couldn't manage any better than 1:56.5.

Overall pace was 1:55.6, just a bit faster than last year's 2k pace, so not too bad after all - and another boat floated as a bonus :fsbgrin:
Cheers, Jan. Looks like the target I set for you was just right then. :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

Rodger wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 am Cheers, Jan. Looks like the target I set for you was just right then. :fsgrin:
Looks like it, I might wait for you to set me a target for next month's CTC (20x300m r 1 :shock:) :fsgrin:
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

I had been putting this off all month but with time running out had to just man up and get it done Image

Actually went better than expected and quite surprised to be so close to Tako

Felton H
Tako

Post by Tako »

Interesting to hear the different feedback to my question . Also congratulations to all putting in their efforts!

Felton, to be honest I am surprised that you did not pass me, but maybe Max and Morten will take care of that, as I would be surprised to manage boat 1 with what was an early not full effort!

Since my fitness has been deteriorating since I am not even considering another attempt before Saturday.

Very excited to see how the month ends up...
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Tako wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:46 pm Interesting to hear the different feedback to my question .
I´m not even sure what the question was... It would seem that I´m not only in bad shape, but also stupid... :lol:

Anyways, my energy level is somewhat higher, and started erging a little again - of course very cautious :!: Despite late entries the boats look rather fixed by now - so only wanted to see for my own sake if I could get below the 11 min, and the answer was yes: 10:56.4 8)

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Tako

May CTC - 3 x 1k / 5 min rest

Post by Tako »

Liefcat wrote:.. It would seem that I´m not only in bad shape, but also stupid... :lol:
Erik, I am not sure whether it was formulated as a proper question, but I was wondering why some leave their first attempt on the C2CTC until the end of the month. Some provided their feedback on that.

As much as you are into chess, I would never call you stupid! Only smart people don’t get bored by it ;-)

Great to see that your shape is improving and that you are again a regular on the C2CTC!!

MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Some great competition this month especially for Boat 2! Re Tako's question my aim was to leave it to the last weekend of the month as I come back from injury. But a couple of hangovers meant it had to wait until the very last day. Really wasn't sure what to expect so aimed for c1:44. Not full pace but pretty hard. Ended on 10:22.5 @1:43.7.
20190531_173854.jpg
20190531_173854.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Tako

Post by Tako »

That was close Max!! Morten seems also to recover still and has not put the usual meters into the meterboard, so I might be lucky again ending up in Boat 1
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Tako wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:04 pm
Erik, I am not sure whether it was formulated as a proper question, but I was wondering why some leave their first attempt on the C2CTC until the end of the month. Some provided their feedback on that.

As much as you are into chess, I would never call you stupid! Only smart people don’t get bored by it ;-)

Great to see that your shape is improving and that you are again a regular on the C2CTC!!
Thanks, Tako :!: My chess play is (also) doing well at the moment... I have done most of the c2ctcs - just on a lower level, I guess I only missed this year´s Carole memorial row - was very busy that day... :oops: :oops: Also good to see you keep up with your excellent scores :!: =D> =D>

Yes, I understand your interest, Tako :!: 8) Also seemed to me like the last year or so, there have been a significant number of late entries. I don´t recall I have been that big on late entries (though I have done it from time to time), so I´m afraid I can´t come up with a valid point there... O:)

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway