Leg strengthening exercise to get into a scull

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Myopic squirrel
Warming up
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Leg strengthening exercise to get into a scull

Post by Myopic squirrel »

Old age has caught up with these ole bones and presently unable to lower myself with one leg as I put the other into the footstretcher. Ironically no problem erging (been doing 35' UT1 pieces for a couple of months) but would like to get back on the water this year. Any exercises anyone can suggest? Thank you in advance!
73+ year old M 188 cm 88Kg "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." - Mickey Mantle
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Leg strengthening exercise to get into a scull

Post by Draggon »

Mr Squirrel,

It's very hard to beat good old-fashioned squats for leg strength. They are considered a foundational exercise in any good strength-building regimen. I would suggest starting with 0 weight a couple of times a week and adding slightly more each week over time. "Slightly more" can be anything from a can of corn in each hand to cradling your cat while squatting - just try not to drop the cat! Seriously, people have the idea that "Squats" require a bar and big weight plates. That doesn't have to be the case at all.

Further, I'd suggest planks for core strength. Core strength is key to easing the affects of aging, yet so few put much focus on it.

The above is just opinion, but I view it as valid information. I've been interested in overall physical fitness all of my adult life and even have a little bit of formal training (not enough to impress anyone).
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I totally agree. One subtle point, I have tended to do more front squatting over the past year. It limits the total load, but it forces me to maintain much better posture. I think it's a lower risk exercise.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Myopic squirrel
Warming up
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Myopic squirrel »

Gerg & Draggon - thank you for your interest. Draggon, with a pair of torn rotator cuffs, found planks to be a problem. A great exercise which I miss.
73+ year old M 188 cm 88Kg "If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself." - Mickey Mantle