Musical Opinions - add yours here :-)

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Musical Opinions - add yours here :-)

Post by webberg »

Need to add Twin Atlantic to the "Hits" side of the equation.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
webberg

MUSE

Post by webberg »

I went to see MUSE last Saturday at the O2.

I'm now trying to decide whether it's the best gig I've been to or the second best. :P

They were absolutely tremendous. A 22 song set with 9 from the new album and the remainder from older material. I'm not going to post a set list in case anybody else is going but suffice to say that if you are a fan of the band, you will come away more than happy.

The staging and light show is a treat. The sound quality is also pretty much perfect. Given the amount of distortion and reverb they use, not once was their a screech or stutter.

That Bellamy guy can play a bit and whilst it would have been good to see the other two put some personality out, overall I could not find anything to fault.

They are touring Europe (east and West) and all I can say is that if you get a chance, GO AND SEE THEM! ^O^ ^O^
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JonathanA
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: MUSE

Post by JonathanA »

webberg wrote:all I can say is that if you get a chance, GO AND SEE THEM! ^O^ ^O^
Which I did, last Tuesday at the LG Arena in Birmingham.

I'd been sharing a very nice bottle of Rioja or two with a couple of friends late the previous Friday while listening to the new album (actually it may have been Saturday morning by this point :wink: ). We were bemoaning the fact that we had been too slow off the mark to secure tickets. Then we had a 'where there's wine there's a way' moment and ten minutes later we were the proud owner of three staning tickets for the gig. 8)

Inevitably we paid somewhat over the odds, but worth every penny IMHO. Can't disagree with anything Graham says but would add an honnourable mention for drummer Dominic Howard who looks a lot like Bradley Wiggins from a distance, but certainly knows how to bang a drum. As a result I'm prepared to forgive him the wearing in public of a onesie, which is something no grown man should ever do. Even when sitting behind a large drum kit.
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
webberg

Post by webberg »

He did look like the encore caught him unawares and that he ahd already changed into his jim jams.

I saw Jack White at Alexandra Palace last weekend.

As was observed by my son, Muse is a show and Jack is a gig.

Jack can certainly play, in this case just about every instrument on the stage and used by his all female backing band. A lot of Blunderbuss, some new stuff and a few White Strips stuff thrown in, including a stunning "Seven Nation Army" at the end.

The venue was "different". A vast hall - all standing. Fans were there to hear the music and whilst there may have been a mosh it was not visible from where I was.

Great gig with no gimicks or lights really. just good solid music, great harmonies when requried and some good looking girls in the band who could also play.

Go and see him. It's worth the long time standing around.

The support was The Kills. Undecided on them.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

time to dig out an old thread...
I keep popping to the odd concert/show/gig (not as many as I'd like, but better than none).
Went to the Birmingham O2 academy on Tue to see Californian band 'Rival Sons'. Almost on a whim, as I like gigs but my wife doesn't like rock/blues music. But I have found a kindred spirit in my new next door neighbor :-)
So us to 50+ somethings found ourselves at an intimate venue watching what must be one of the best rock groups around. They were superb, with the singer a real 'belter'. New album sounds really good too.
A major bonus was the support act, who I'd never heard of - 'The Sheepdogs'. Odd name, but a great Canadian band who seemed a fusion of Skynnard, The Doors, Allman brothers etc. Worth a listen.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Wolfie, great to see you have revived this thread - I will definitely look out for The Sheepdogs as I really enjoy that Southern Rock/Alt country stuff - my favourite band at the moment is the Drive-By Truckers ,and if you really like that sort of stuff then the Heavy Horses and The Devil Makes Three are worth listening to as well.

If you fancy something more folksy/Dylan-esque then the Felice Brothers are definitely worth trying out.

They have just released the line-up for our annual IOW festival and it is pretty poor this year, but we will still probably go on Sunday when Biffy Clyro and Richard Ashcroft will be performing.
My daughter is also auditioning for a spot at the festival so if she gets in then we will obviously be there for all of her performances too.

Cheers
Paul
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

One a bit left field, last week we popped over to 'the NEC' to see Hall & Oats, proper 80s fest.
My wife was/is a fan.
My conclusion, they were great :-)
Every song a hit, quite complex/clever songs, and they still belt it out at 71 and 72 years of age.
KT Tunstell as support too, so a good night.
Wolfie

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

The cover of the Foo Fighters' "Times Like These" by numerous artists at home in the UK (not literally) is really good in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GElP4YdrBE
Wolfie

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Agreed - very very good indeed!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Draggon »

Very nice - thanks for sharing, Wolfie!
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

I recently posted a song by 10cc on the "Name that tune" thread. It got me to thinking about the album that the song came from - The Original Soundtrack. This was one of the first albums I bought.

I don't know how successful it was, there were only two hit singles on it - "I'm not in Love" (the one I posted on Name that tune) and "Life is a Minestrone". But I remembered another song on it that I thought was very memorable, although probably a bit too out there to be released as a single. So I listened to it again tonight and it's every bit as 'unusual' as I remembered.

The song is "Une Nuit A Paris" (One Night in Paris) and I'd be interested to hear what others think of it. It's available on YouTube for anyone who's not familiar with the song.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Paul, music critique is not my strong point - the following will hardly be in-depth.

The song reminded me in parts, of Bohemian Rhapsody, so I did smile to myself when the relevant info described it as a mini operetta.

I played it through four times but most of it didn’t quite hit the spot, although I did enjoy the short piece of piano ( 3 mins 27 secs in ) which made my brain fizzle because it was so finger clicking, foot tapping good. I would have loved to have heard more of that and more of the refrain, One Night in Paris.

I could imagine it being performed on stage - almost as burlesque perhaps.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Jill wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 pm Paul, music critique is not my strong point - the following will hardly be in-depth.

The song reminded me in parts, of Bohemian Rhapsody, so I did smile to myself when the relevant info described it as a mini operetta.

I played it through four times but most of it didn’t quite hit the spot, although I did enjoy the short piece of piano ( 3 mins 27 secs in ) which made my brain fizzle because it was so finger clicking, foot tapping good. I would have loved to have heard more of that and more of the refrain, One Night in Paris.

I could imagine it being performed on stage - almost as burlesque perhaps.
Hi Jill

That's what I thought, too. A bit like Bohemian Rhapsody in that it had a few discrete parts. Overall, nowhere near as memorable as Bohemian Rhapsody, but it's just one of those songs that I'd forgotten all about and now find myself constantly remembering, and occasionally bursting into a chorus of "One night in Paris is like a year in any other place".

Just shows you how insane this social isolation is driving us all (well me, at any rate)! :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Paul Victory wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 pm Hi Jill

That's what I thought, too. A bit like Bohemian Rhapsody in that it had a few discrete parts. Overall, nowhere near as memorable as Bohemian Rhapsody, but it's just one of those songs that I'd forgotten all about and now find myself constantly remembering, and occasionally bursting into a chorus of "One night in Paris is like a year in any other place".

Just shows you how insane this social isolation is driving us all (well me, at any rate)!
With us it's " What day is it today? "🤪 :lol:

Paul, I have also been singing to myself, " One night in Paris etc " ... I blame you for that, although I'm only claiming partial insanity at the moment. :lol:

Okay, I had better come clean. Total insanity then, because it took me three attempts to remember my log in password and that was only because I looked it up. :lol:

Despite the current situation and especially the sad times, we still need a little bit of humour and silliness occasionally. :)

Get your brain jumping with some crosswords and Sudoku. :)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Jill wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 pm Paul, I have also been singing to myself, " One night in Paris etc " ... I blame you for that, although I'm only claiming partial insanity at the moment. :lol:

Get your brain jumping with some crosswords and Sudoku. :)
I do sudoku (and related) puzzles on a daily basis. If anyone's interested, the following website publishes around 10 puzzles of different types each day www.calcudoku.org

It's free to join, but there is an option to become a subscriber and get access to even more puzzles. I've been a member for just over 4 years now and became a subscriber after about 6 months.

Warning! It can become highly addictive.
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Wolfmiester wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:37 pm The cover of the Foo Fighters' "Times Like These" by numerous artists at home in the UK (not literally) is really good in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GElP4YdrBE
Up early, newspaper hasn't arrived yet, scrolling through forum sections rarely visited by me, came upon this one. Nice video indeed.
FlbrkMike
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by FlbrkMike »

When I row I have to have music, or I just can't do it. It has to be familiar and it has to be loud enough to hear over my Model C. I can't stand earbuds so I use a Bose Mini II Soundlink wireless speaker.

I seem to prefer live recordings, maybe because the songs tend to be longer and there's a lot of energy involved.

One more thing...it has to be available to stream on Amazon Prime.

Here's some of what's in my current rotation, though there are others as well (you can tell I'm an unrepentant Baby Boomer and "former" Deadhead):

Vol I through IV
BTW...I saw Van Morrison in San Diego last year and he still puts on a great show.

The "complete" version has something like six discs

This isn't all live but the energy is so high it doesn't matter

67 years old, 5'11" and 221 lb as of August 19, 2022
Recovered from bilateral hip replacement Feb 11, Mar 11, 2011
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

I think you and I would get on just fine Mike :-)
Yet to catch Van the man live, but we are making our way through the "legends" still gigging, so hopefully one day.
I did manage to see SRV one crazy night in London, never forget that one.
Wolfie

paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Being quite keen on Van Morrison's music, I was really looking forward to his appearance at the IOW festival in 2018.
However, it was , with the possible exception of Jeremy Corbyn at Glastonbury, the worst live performance I have ever seen - he really looked like he would have rather been anywhere else but up on stage that night.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
FlbrkMike

Post by FlbrkMike »

First time I saw Van Morrison was in 1972 at Stanford University, when I was in high school in Palo Alto, CA.

The next time I saw him was almost 40 years later in 2009 at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles. During one set they re-created the entire Astral Weeks album. Second set was mostly old favorites with a band that had probably 12 or 14 pieces.

In the past few years I saw him once in Los Angeles, and he had just a small combo, maybe 5 pieces. Then in San Diego last year with a full band.

He's always been criticized for being some what distant from the audience, but I've never seen a bad show. The music has always been spot on. Very tight but also spontaneous. At the more recent LA show they were on a break from an extended residence at some place in Las Vegas and he was actually joking with the audience.

A few other old timers I've seen in the past five or six years:

Jeff Beck, a couple of times
Carlos Santana
Bonnie Raitt (Richard Thompson was the opening act)
Brian Wilson
James Taylor
Carole King
Hot Tuna

Chick Corea (many times)
Herbie Hancock
(I'm a big jazz fan)

Wolfmeister - SRV, unfortunately, died before I was even really aware of him. I would love to have had the chance to see him play in person.
FlbrkMike

Post by FlbrkMike »

Here area a couple of others that are in the rowing rotation

Sonny Landreth - one of the more underappreciated guitar players.

Lowell George - RIP

webberg

Post by webberg »

Glad to see that this thread is still running.

Many of us are probably frustrated gig goers at the moment. Certainly we've gone from a couple a month to nothing since February this year. I've tried watching the various attempts made by artists to engage via virtual/digital - it's just not the same.

I used to row to what was then called "post Grunge" and I suspect is now called "Dad rock". Bands like Green Day, Yellow Jacket, Sum 41.

One of my favourite bands is Biffy Clyro but trying to row to their music is an exercise in interval training that I'm not ready for.

For those looking for a fresh voice, try Celeste. We were meant to have seen her in April, then August, then November, now April 2021.

Otherwise have been listening to Caro Emerald, Etta James, The Head and the Heart, Mt Joy, Morning Runner, Plastic Bertrand, Orbital, Disclosure, Royal Blood, The Shins, and of course The Airborne Toxic Event.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
fkoene
True Free Spirit

Post by fkoene »

Perhaps I'll try out some more, in the mean time thanks for Celeste.
Of course not the same but somehow in the same line, been listening to Tash Sultana lately, like her as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FP3 met Tapatalk

webberg

Post by webberg »

I have recently "discovered" Lake Street Dive.

Gentle tunes and some interesting lyrics
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
webberg

Post by webberg »

If you like jazz laced with a bit of soul, try Jose James.

Unfortunately the full effect of his singing does not come over that well in digital form, but live he is astounding.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904