New training schedule

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Juergie
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

New training schedule

Post by Juergie »

My job has been even more demanding over the last few months. Usually, I did my rowing after work as it is my main stress-relief-thing. But it has become more and more difficult to find the motivation to climb on my rowing machine since I was very tired after work. I became really good at finding excuses not to row. That left me very unsatisfied and stressed out.

So I thought about what to change to fit rowing in my schedule again. The logical step for me: If I'm too tired to row after work, I should try doing it before work. Starting with the new season I completely changed my schedule. Every workday, I get up at 4:45 am and start the day with 1 hour of rowing. I try to row at least 14000m, but no more than 14500m each session, depending on how good I feel. Believe me, that was not an easy adjustment. Getting up this early and row before breakfast took some getting used to it.

On the weekends I do a HM each day. The goal there is to stay under 90 min. and not go faster than 87 min.

So far, I was able to stick to the schedule every single day. I'm writing this for 2 reasons.

Reason 1:
To inspire anyone who has trouble motivating themselves to row regularly. Try to rearrange your schedule. Try unusual schedules and stick to them for a while to find out what works best for you. Find a rhythm.

Reason 2:
I have no experience with long time effects of rowing a lot every single day. Right now, after 5 weeks, I feel tired and full of energy at the same time. Every training plan I have encountered so far includes days of rest. But I want to find out, if this is really necessary. I want to find out, what this old body of mine is still able to accomplish (yep, this is midlife crisis speaking).

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: New training schedule

Post by Ian Bee »

My tuppence - hope it's useful.

I shifted to 5am regular weekday rowing a couple of months ago for similar reasons (mixed in with the other half bring less than keen on rowing noise in the evening). After a little adjustment, I actually feel I have slightly more energy with an earlier row.

I have stuck to the 5 day Pete Plan (typically leading to 10km in 50 minutes or so), and occasionally row an hour/ HM /FM during the weekend, but largely look for recovery on those days. I can really feel and see the difference if I don't incorporate some rest in the cycle - my last couple of PBs have come after modest rest days.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Never tried to row without rest, but there is an adage that you only get faster when you are resting. One thing there is a lot of research on is that the optimum training is to have a small proportion of training at a fast pace and the majority at a more comfortable pace, with most amateur's training too hard on the easie sessions and so not able to perform maximally on the fast sessions. On that basis, I would have said keeping the sessions very similar isn't optimal.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Good point. I will have to watch my speed. And I started that with a SB on my HM today at 1:26:52 :D

Finished week 6 today. The first 3 weeks were tough. But with week 4 it got better. I calculated the week's average on the 1 hour rows and it has been increasing every week since week 3.
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Juergie,
I'm in the same situation. Keep missing training due to no "suitable" slots.
I've thought about the early starts, would only need to be 6:30 for me, so not outrageous. But have so far lacked the motivation to give it a go.
I'll come back to this thread over the coming weeks...
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Time for a update.

I'm still sticking to the schedule. About 2 weeks ago I was deciding on how to proceed. My arms, shoulders and back were showing some strain. I was seriously thinking about inserting resting days. But then I thought of trying something else. Maybe the strain was only because of the repetitive rowing every day.

Since my SkiErg has been feeling left out for some weeks now I decided to mix up my work out. So, each weekday after my 1 hour row I add an extra 10 min. of SkiErg. Doesn't sound like much? Go and try it! The SkiErg is a machine from hell and even more so if you do it after rowing for an hour.

My arms, shoulders and back are feeling better now. But the SkiErg took out a little strength of my rowing. The weekly average of the 1 hour rows dropped from around 14400m to 14300m in the first week. After the 2nd week it is back up to 14350m.
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Juergie, I hope you keep posting updates because I'm interested to see how you get on. I wonder if the awesome number of meters you are rowing will lead to new PBs for you.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

To be honest, I only have one PB in mind this season: 5 million meters. I'm pretty sure, I won't attempt any speed records. Right now I seriously pay for every faster row with really slow speeds the following days.

I want to participate in the Crazy Bear Challenge later this year. And I have no clue how to survive that. Very tired every single morning and it takes all my will power to get up and start rowing. After a few minutes of rowing it gets better and one I've found some king of rhythm the one hour is not a problem. The SkiErg afterwards still is but I can actually feel that it is the right thing to do for my arms and shoulders.

I will post updates from time to time, thanks for taking an interest!
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Last Sunday I did something stupid. The post from Max triggered something and I was determined to do a new PB on a HM. I was able to keep up the pace for a projected 1h22min. But after 16k I suddenly lost the will (and strength) to finish the row. So I discontinued and felt pretty down about it. I was struggling all week long and felt weak. But I stuck to the schedule.
Last September I did my first FM and it was a very horrific experience because of a lot of butt pain. Since then I bought a new seat pad which feels really comfortable: https://citius-remex.com
So I thought I'd give it another try. My goal was to finish and maybe stay below the magic 3h mark. And I did it. I finished with 2h58min10sec and my butt was doing all right. I even lost 90sec on a unscheduled pit stop because I had way too much tea before rowing.

All in all pretty happy especially after the bad week I had. Now the only thing I wonder is, how will I feel tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off at 4:30 am :?
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Today is day 100 of the not-so-new-anymore training schedule. Really glad I made it so far. Still feeling good most of the time.

I was wondering how to "measure" my improvement if I reach my 5 million meters goal for this season. I discovered the nonathlon link and thought, this would be a good opportunity. So, I signed up and did all the distances over the last few weekends. Finished the last ones yesterday and that amounts to 7518 points. It shows, that I'm not the fastest rower, especially on the shorter distances. So it seems a even more valid instrument to show, if there will be some improvement. If I will still be on route to achieve me season goal in March, I will row all the distances again.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Very impressed that you just "did" the Nonathlon. Personally the different challenge that very different length pieces present mean that I need to work up to each attempt with suitable preparation. To manage a quick 500 needs some practice at high rating such as this month's CTC as the key is maintaining a high rating from the start and believing that you can keep going when it really starts to hurt with a full out attempt leading to loss of vision from anoxia in the final 100m. No HM's can prepare you for that! Similarly a 2k is a special torture that needs finely judged pacing to get to the springt without slowing appreciably.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

I get your point, Ian: lack of dedication :lol:

Yesterday, for example, I did 2500m for a warmup, then the 5000m, then 1000m and finally 500m. And then 10000m as a cool down. During the nonathlon distances, my HR was around 170, so I guess you can call it a "solid workout". But no coughing up bits of my lung or passing out after finishing :mrgreen:
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Juergie wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:49 pm The post from Max triggered something...
Apologies Juergie! I know what you mean about doing a row that doesn't quite work out and not feeling so good. I had a :shock: moment when you said you just did the Nonathlon distances over a few weekends. That is impressive. It's interesting that you are doing shorter distances within your sessions and not just long steady state.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Don't feel bad, Max.
Your last sentence got me thinking. I had not planned on doing short distances until I would try the Nonathlon distances at the end of the season again. But maybe that is not too bad of an idea to try one from time to time. I will think about it.
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Just back from 12 days without access to my rower due to a summer vacation. Instead, 12 days of running and/or biking. The first row after the vacation on Friday was really tough. Seems my body has forgotten all about rowing. Even the third row today still didn't feel right. I guess, it will take some more days before all is back to normal.

Funny thing. We wanted to leave early because we had a long drive before us to our holiday destination. I thought it would be good to do some rowing before sitting all day long. So I got up at 3am for a "quick" one hour row. I was really tired but felt strong from the beginning. So, I gave it all I had and did I new PB for 60min. That felt really good and made the parting from my beloved rower a little easier :twisted:
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Today was the first day after my vacation that it felt good again to row. Felt really strong and accomplished a SB for a HM by 1min 20 sec. That even gained me one position in the Nonathlon.
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Every since I switched to my new schedule there was a thought lurking in the back of my head: What about the Crazy Bear Challenge (30 HM in 40 days)? I've been participating in this challenge for the last two years. And I have been mighty proud to have finished both times. But getting up at 4:30am will not be early enough to do a HM and get to work in time.
This concern was growing stronger over the last few weeks. So, I decided to do a test run. I did 9 HM in a row, 5 of them on weekdays getting up at 4am. If that isn't hard enough, I also have this stupid rule I have been sticking to for over a year now, every HM must be under 90min. I managed, but barely. 2 times I did almost break my rule and had only 10sec to spare.
Right now, I'm not sure if the emphasis is on challenge or crazy. At least I know, it is at least not hopeless to attempt this years Crazy Bear Challenge in November.
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Juergie wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:23 pm Right now, I'm not sure if the emphasis is on challenge or crazy.
Definitely crazy :lol: . Well done on your PBs.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

What a week! Yesterday, a new PB for 60 min and today a new PB for the HM by 35 secs. Really pleased. And the funny thing, my pace on the HM is faster than on the 60 min., so I guess there is still room room for improvement :lol:
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Brilliant Juergen, at an excellent pace too =D> =D>
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Had a good week and a nice piece of meat yesterday, so I felt strong today and thought it is a good day for a FM. And indeed it was. New PB by 3 min! Very, very pleased right now.
Iain

Post by Iain »

That's a fantastic PB. Well done.
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Juergen, That's brilliant and the 9th fastest time in the world this season (hwt 50-59) =D> =D> =D>
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

Ok, 6 months later it is time for a review.

Have been rowing every day since the start of the season with the exception of a couple of days when I was on a vacation. Usually, a 1 hour row on workdays and a HM on days off. The initial plan was just to collect meters to reach at least 5 million meters this season. But then I got ambitious and also wanted to improve my speed. I wasn't sure at the beginning, if these two goals would collide. But so far it seems possible to achieve both.

Motivation is a problem. In the beginning, it takes a lot of willpower. Then you find kind of a rhythm and it gets a little easier. After a while, the addiction kicks in and you can't imagine a day without rowing. But you also get exhausted. Your mind tells you "must row", your body screams "f*** off". So far, mind over matter :lol:

Up until now, no serious health issues. Don't kid yourself, you will hurt. You have to carefully listen to your body. Some pain is ok, but beware of chronicle pain. You have to adjust your training's intensity before the pain gets serious. But I have learned, that you can recover while you do low intensity workouts.
Right now my right biceps is bothering me. The problem does not originate from rowing, but rowing does not help to cure it. Fortunately, it does not hurt while I row, just some pain the rest of the day. I know, don't stop rowing then :P

Crazy Bear Challenge is almost here and that will be the real test. If I survive, the rest of the season should be just a walk in the park :roll:

And finally some numbers. I wasn't in too bad a shape when I started, so the numbers might not look too impressive. But still, I see and feel improvement.

Start 6 months Comment
====================================================
14267 14630 3-week-average on 1h row
14935 15256 1h PB
7518 7676 Nonathlon
1:23:38 1:23:03 HM PB
3:07:33 2:55:10 FM PB
Juergie

Post by Juergie »

After posting my review I felt like doing something special (special being the new crazy). So, I decided to go for another FM. I felt pretty strong the whole way through and managed another PB at 2:52:30,4 which is over 2 min 40 sec faster then my previous PB. Didn't have to stop to walk around or drink.

A good way to start the second half of the season.