Poll for October ctc

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Poll for October ctc

Post by paulgould »

RogerB wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:40 am Re September CTC. Thank you for considering my note that Gillian was having problems with the complicated tests but I am very sorry to say that a rapid mental deterioration has required a transfer to a Care Home. She cannot stand on her own and is unable to walk, spends much of her day dozing and living in a dream world. I show her our photo albums to encourage memories which gives her pleasure but her ability to communicate is rare. She has a mounted BIRC certificate in her room. Alzheimers is a horrible disease. Roger.
Hi Roger,
I am desperately sorry to hear of Gillian's condition - Alzheimer's really is a terrible disease.
Just want to say that my thoughts are with you both at this difficult time.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Ditto. Very sorry to hear of Gillian's condition worsening rapidly. As with Paul, my thoughts are with you.

If Gillian had a favourite event when in her prime, maybe we could consider that in her honour?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Ian Bee »

plummy wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 amIf Gillian had a favourite event when in her prime, maybe we could consider that in her honour?
My thoughts to you both also, and would agree with the above.
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

I'm sorry to hear this as well. Offcourse I also agree to the proposition.
RogerB
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by RogerB »

Re Gillian-Thank you for your comments. Gillian was happy to have a go at any CTC but enjoyed most those with the additional mental challenge of an abnormal task. Incidentally in addition to her rowing achievements she became an accomplished competition swimmer in her sixties when she decided that her fitness on the rowing machine could be applied in the pool where she was normally a spectator at my efforts in Masters competitions. She overcame her distaste for chlorinated water and mastered diving from the starting blocks, competition turns and the four strokes required for Individual Medley races to a high enough standard for entry in to British Masters National competitions. Butterfly became her main competition stroke at which she was French National champion in her 70`s. There are very few men or women capable of competing in 200m Butterfly or 400m Individual Medley races over the age of 70yrs. She still holds Cornwall County records from 1997 -2002 during our period living in Cornwall. Indoor rowing and swimming have given her great pleasure and prove that we are never too old to achieve. Roger
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

RogerB wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am Re Gillian-Thank you for your comments. Gillian was happy to have a go at any CTC but enjoyed most those with the additional mental challenge of an abnormal task. Incidentally in addition to her rowing achievements she became an accomplished competition swimmer in her sixties when she decided that her fitness on the rowing machine could be applied in the pool where she was normally a spectator at my efforts in Masters competitions. She overcame her distaste for chlorinated water and mastered diving from the starting blocks, competition turns and the four strokes required for Individual Medley races to a high enough standard for entry in to British Masters National competitions. Butterfly became her main competition stroke at which she was French National champion in her 70`s. There are very few men or women capable of competing in 200m Butterfly or 400m Individual Medley races over the age of 70yrs. She still holds Cornwall County records from 1997 -2002 during our period living in Cornwall. Indoor rowing and swimming have given her great pleasure and prove that we are never too old to achieve. Roger
Roger, thank you so much for sharing these stories of Gillian's achievements.
I have just taken up training for a Cross-Solent swim and am truly humbled reading about Gillian's pool exploits - to be able to even complete a 200 Fly or 400 IM at any age is impressive, at 70+ that is simply phenomenal ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ .

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Thank you for sharing Rodger. Inspiring to read about all the accomplishments. Sounds like a rich life! I wish you all the strength to cope with this tough situation!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Clare
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Clare »

Hello.
I am Clare, Gillian Burrell's daughter, i too row.
There have been many rowing challenges that i would not have completed if my mother had not done them too
Especially in the last few years, i have sat on my rower and thought if my mother can do this i certainly can and should.
It would be a lovely tribute to her if a challenge could be set in her name.
Clare.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hello Clare, 100% we will be doing this in your mother's honor.
We just need to decide the actual challenge...
Given the passion for the swimming medley and mental games she liked to play... how about 4x1k with 1/2/1 rests ?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

To help give Roger and Clare some more ideas and to build on Wolfie's suggestion I was wondering if linking the distances to Gillian's 3 British 2k records would be appropriate. So Gillian's times of 8:52.6, 8:51.8 and 9.01.0 could turn into 852m, 851m and 901m as part of the challenge.

I also saw that Gillian achieved an astonishing 10 1st places at BRIC and, with Roger's comment about 'enjoying abnormal tasks', wondered if the rest time could total 10 x 1 minutes, taken in any order. So taking a 5 interval challenge as an example the rest periods could be 2/2/2/2/2 or 1/2/3/1/3 or any combination as long as the total was 10 minutes.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

I like the idea of using the individual medley as inspiration. This is swum in the order butterfly backstroke breaststroke freestyle. We could mimic the relative speed of each stroke by doing something like a 500m 750m 1000m 250m with 1 or 2 mins rest in between?
Felton H
Clare
Warming up

Post by Clare »

I like the idea of using the three 2k times as distances, what if we were to include her age as a distance 84 and her birthday 22/6. Using the 10 minutes however you like as the intervals between each challenge.
Using the shorter distances between the larger.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Clare wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am I like the idea of using the three 2k times as distances, what if we were to include her age as a distance 84 and her birthday 22/6. Using the 10 minutes however you like as the intervals between each challenge.
You may have to explain that a little further :? , certainly for me anyway :oops:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Wolfmiester wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Clare wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am I like the idea of using the three 2k times as distances, what if we were to include her age as a distance 84 and her birthday 22/6. Using the 10 minutes however you like as the intervals between each challenge.
You may have to explain that a little further :? , certainly for me anyway :oops:
I think when entering intervals into the monitor the minimum distance is 100m and the minimum time is 20 seconds. So unfortunately Gillian's age would not work as a distance. It would be possible to use her age as a rest period (or her age when she set each record as a rest period).

It would also be possible to take 1 or 2 of Gillian's swimming records and convert the time to meters e.g. 3mins or 3:00.0 becomes 3000m. All of the ideas make it very personal to Gillian.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Tako

Post by Tako »

RogerB wrote:Gillian was happy to have a go at any CTC but enjoyed most those with the additional mental challenge of an abnormal task. ....
There are very few men or women capable of competing in 200m Butterfly or 400m Individual Medley races over the age of 70yrs.
What about the following proposal which should match the criteria of an abnormal task to honour Gillian, whom I never met, but from all the posts I read gives me a lot of inspiration!

It also puts the challenges at the end, which also matches the statement of that few are capable of competing in 200m or 400m after having been through a long row/life Image

1934m (year of birth)

2206m (birthday)

400m (individual medley)

200m (Butterfly)

With 3x2min rest (Clare mentioned 3 2k times in the thread)

Just an idea, but I would love to try it Image
Clare
Warming up

Post by Clare »

I spoke to Roger re the challenge.
He really liked the idea of including some of Gillian's swimming achievements, so i think the idea of the two distances mentioned 400m and 200m, are a nice idea.
MaxMacLaren1

Re: ctc September challenge

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Tako wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 am Just an idea, but I would love to try it Image
I think you could do 1:45.0 :wink:

P.S. That's 1:45.0, 1:46.9, 1:40.0, 1:35.0.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Quite apart from wanting to see if Tako can rise to the challenge above, I think his idea for distances is good.
Tako

Post by Tako »

He he, that is a heavy Challenge Max, which I am willing to accept, if it becomes the October CTC. Sounds like Roger and Claire like it.
And it would be something completely different from most Challenges; a real medley :-)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Yes, with the reservation of speaking more of the October than the headline September, I support Tako´s suggestion, I think it is very creative :!: Of course I would like some feedback from the person of honour or people around her that it would be ok for her :?: :!:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
JonT

Post by JonT »

I like Tako's suggestion too.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

Liefcat wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:18 am Yes, with the reservation of speaking more of the October than the headline September, I support Tako´s suggestion, I think it is very creative :!: Of course I would like some feedback from the person of honour or people around her that it would be ok for her :?: :!:
I fully agree :!:

Roger it is great to hear from you how you and your family manage these complicated disease

Sorry- i couldnt find a way to change the headline into ctc October challenge- how i can do that...sorry for my absence...familiy-holiday...
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Dear Members, Thank you for your kind thoughts regarding Gillian. Tako`s idea for the challenge sounds fine and I am sure ,had she been able , Gillian would have joined in. I will approach the task with great trepidation as it is certainly a demanding challenge.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Claudius wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:14 am Sorry- i couldnt find a way to change the headline into ctc October challenge- how i can do that...sorry for my absence...familiy-holiday...
Claudius, I changed the thread title to "Poll for October ctc" if you don't mind.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

thank you Peter, now we have to prepare for a exciting poll !

1934m (year of birth)

2206m (birthday)

400m (individual medley)

200m (Butterfly)

With 3x2min rest (Clare mentioned 3 2k times in the thread)

vs.

vs

30min

more entries for the poll ?
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)