The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Pete Plan

Post by Ian Bee »

Yep - I do a slightly amended 5km plan. Works relatively well for ctc prep if nothing else.

Just don't tell Plummy

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

A big red mark today. 20x100m @ 1:27.5 which is 0.9 slower than last time (average 17.5s compared to 17.3s). Wasn't really in the mood and kept starting badly by pulling with my arms rather than pushing with my legs :oops:
20180716_195311.png
20180716_195311.png (73.07 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

My eyes went rather wide, as ever, with those stats. It's still very impressive Max.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

A return to 6x1km, 1r this morning.

I'd had a few days of more longer distance pieces, so was ready for either a good session, or to fall apart after two reps with shock.

As it turned out, a bit of both. Very hard work to sustain even a few tenths ahead of my previous best from the off, but it never got past that feeling of just "very hard". So I plugged away (Plummy would not be pleased with that array of s/m), and ended a scarcely believable 7 secs under my last round. Bonkers.

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Plugged away with my long term 30 minute challenge yesterday (a hard fought 15m improvement....), And returned with somewhat heavy heart and legs to 4x1800m, 4r.

Immediately before starting, the devil on my shoulder whispered: you did this - in fact more than this - yesterday at pretty much the same pace with no breaks.

It went squiffy from there.

A whisker of an improvement from my last round of this, in spite of the ropey last rep. Really should be in the 58s for this....

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

Hello, good to see how busy you both are, Max and Ian ! Last week were my "highlight of the year", one week in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, workshop Sport-Medicine, focus on Mountainbiking, tough uphills, racy downhills - down the skislope...drop down the bike :cry: ...still feel it in my thumb. After all that biking...really hard to get back on the erg...its nearly 30°c outside...HD on the last endurance intervall 2 times...yesterday managed a result...with Ø 1:52.4 - in my first cycle it was 1:48.7...but as a excuse...it was really very humid in the gym...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose...like soccer :mrgreen:
Attachments
20180718_161130.jpg
20180718_161130.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Ian Bee wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 pm It's still very impressive Max.
Thanks Ian, that helped my motivation levels and well done on your 30mins.
Claudius wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 pm ...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose...like soccer :mrgreen:
I have tried the 4 x1k a couple of times this week but have HD'd both times so just my standard steady state today 8k @1:57.7. My IT band is playing up so a visit to the physio my be needed.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Feel your pain Max. The heat/humidity is draining for the sprints.

After a relatively calm weekend (no really hard sessions), I thought I'd make my normal Monday 10km slightly closer to full pace than would be traditional. Finished with a ok 40.14, and wouldn't have wanted to push any harder. Sufficed to say, I still can't touch my 10k pace I achieve at the gym (even accounting for drag factors) with the same perceived effort. It's a conundrum.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

12x 500m, 1r

Last times' average was 1.54.7 and felt rough, so I didn't have much hope for improvement on this one. But I'm nothing if not a glutton for punishment so I used that as my pace boat and paddled away.

As it turned out, a perplexing set. Heat didn't help, and my erg decided it would do it's slide all over the floor trick from the 5th rep in. Perhaps these distractions helped as, in common with a couple of days ago, it never got exhausting. Finished with a 1sec average pace improvement.

plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I had little desire to row last night so thought that maybe doing something "different" might help - therefore I elected to follow Ian's row with a couple of tweaks: 10 x 500 r2. The plan was to try and nail the same pace on each one which meant starting a bit conservatively. I went for 1:55.0. I managed as follows:
1:55.0
1:55.1
1:54.9
1:54.9
Bit of a shambles really but I found I was going faster on the later reps so trying to back off in the last 100m make accuracy difficult. Nice little session...
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

I think our definition of shambles differs radically! Nice set

Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Great sessions as ever Claudius & Ian. Plummy, not sure that backing of on the last interval is PP, but well done in this heat.

Ian, nice 10k, ot sure what you mean about the gym drag factors. If the drag factor is the same, the machine should feel the same. Only other variable is the shock cord that can feel hard when new to get moving, but doesn't make much difference except for sprints. One problem I have had twice now is the count down clock stopping just before the interval. I found out it then jumps to a late start meaning too much time to catch up. I must say I am impressed at how you complete intervals when getting slightly slower. I follow the plan of starting at a pace I believe I can beat (or the prevuious average) and only trying to go faster on the last (occassionally earlier if feeling easy). I find it easier to push to maintain target than just to try and get close and try not to positively split.

Had a couple of failures to finish 6x500r1' I was doing for prep of the CTC, blaming the heat, but clearly if you managed it I should be able to at my current pedestrian pace. Now need to face the real thing. To put it off a couple of days, decided on a moderate HM. Aimed for 1:40. On target at 11k then backed off. At 15k decided might be dehydration so had a 30" water stop before limping home 44S outside target.

Hope to resume my slightly modified 2k plan shortly with 4 x 2k & 8 x 500.

Best wishes

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Iain wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:53 pmIf the drag factor is the same, the machine should feel the same.
Oh I entirely agree :-k

It's definitely not ideal with this heat. Should have completed a reasonable pace 30 minutes this morning, but the demons successfully got to me before I even sat down for my row and I paddled my way to 10km instead. Probably wise considering a fellow gym goer wants company on a CTC attempt tomorrow morning #-o
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Not sure if this is hard distance or steady state but needed some meters because I'm falling behind my 5k a day target for the meterboard. Anyway it turned out to be a PB so it'll help my Nonathlon score. 1 hour @1:57.6 = 15,301m.
20180728_195241.png
20180728_195241.png (44.12 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Ok, thought that the end of the vacation would be a good start to get going with the PP :-)

8x500m with 3:30r

As I did not really know what target to use I tried a bit in the first 500m and noticed I started too fast, so slowed down at the end of the 500m and ended up with 1:48.8 as target for first 7x500 before giving all that was left in the last. Feels like it was too fast and I look with horror at the target for the next go at this in 3 weeks....

\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

8x 750, 1r.

Last time's average pace of 1.55 was the target, and with a couple a days of lighter paced longer pieces I felt ok going in.

As it turned out, pace was all over the place and the 4th to 6th reps were a struggle. I "helped" myself out with a sprint at the end to dip under my target.

MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Tako wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 pm As I did not really know what target to use I tried a bit in the first 500m and noticed I started too fast, so slowed down at the end of the 500m and ended up with 1:48.8 as target...
Tako, Welcome to the Pete Plan. Under his Q&As Pete has this to say on pacing. I foolishly took this as my starting point and it has become very hard, very quickly so I am now struggling a bit. To be fair I probably have not helped myself by adding in 3 fast sessions :fssmile:

"Q. I know everyone is different, but I still want to know what are good times for each of the interval sessions!"

"A. Ok, but these are neither targets for the first time you try a session, or even for the longer term.

8 x 500m = 3seconds faster than 2k pb pace (2k – 3)
Speed pyramid = 2k pb pace (2k)
4 x 1000m = 1second slower than 2k pb pace (2k + 1)
5 x 1500m = 5k pb pace (5k)
4 x 2000m = Half a second slower than 5k pb pace (5k + 0.5)
3k, 2.5k, 2k = 1second slower than 5k pb pace (5k + 1)

That speed pyramid session is a strange one, how should I pace that?
Go at a constant pace for the 250m up to the 1k, and then speed up from there if you can. Resist the temptation to sprint the first 250m."
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Ian, I've just noticed how high up the meterboard you are. Respect =D> =D> =D>

For the last few days I have been focusing on getting my daily meter average back above 5k and it's been really hard. Day 1 was after a few days rest and 1 hour = c15,300m and felt ok. The next 3 days I stopped at 10k, 12k and 12k!
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Thanks Max - and sage advice for pacing!

Tako: nice 500s 🤗
Tako

Post by Tako »

MaxMacLaren1 wrote:
Tako, Welcome to the Pete Plan. Under his Q&As Pete has this to say on pacing.....

"A. Ok, but these are neither targets for the first time you try a session, or even for the longer term.

8 x 500m = 3seconds faster than 2k pb pace (2k – 3).
Thanks Max! According to this my new target is several seconds too slow :-) as I have a 2k PB just sub7

So although it felt too tough it was a “soft” start on week1 :-D
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Nice set Tako, basically you should be able to go quite a bit faster on the last when starting up, 8S meets that objective! That said, rating does seem a bit low for this one, you might like to accelerate before the end on the next round.

I was doing Pete sessions, will try and join in in a few days.

Best wishes

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Tako

Post by Tako »

Thanks Iain for the Feedback.
My strategy is now to start somewhat easy and then let the speed increase slowly over the next months and let the algorithm do its work until the last interval is close to target.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Tako, in my experience it's no problem starting a little 'slow' as the nature of the plan means it will get very hard very quickly
Felton H
Tako

Post by Tako »

Caratacus wrote:Tako, in my experience it's no problem starting a little 'slow' as the nature of the plan means it will get very hard very quickly Image
That is why I used a target of 1:58 pace for the 5x1500m today as I felt weak yesterday (hence took rest day) and also not fully in shape today.

But now I have a target of 1:56.4 for next time.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Nicely done Tako Image

I returned to 1700x4, 4r yesterday.

I'm pretty much on diminishing returns for this set. I wasn't focused on the first rep, but caught back up with my target pace over the next three.

In line with my trend, reversion to rest heart rate seems to be getting quicker.