2017/18 Summary and Aspirations for 2018/19

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

2017/18 Summary and Aspirations for 2018/19

Post by plummy »

In previous years a thread like this used to pop up quite regularly but I'm not sure if there was one last year?

Anyhoo, I thought I'd kick one off in case anyone wanted to put down some thoughts as to how they performed - good or bad and what goals and aspirations they may have towards the new season soon to be upon us.

For me 2017/18 was pretty decent overall and a quick summary of a few things follows:
2.5 million metres (tucked away after my 15565m today) is on a par with the last 3 years - so not bad.
Nonathlon - 8189 points (my best for 5 years)
500m & 1k - not really done many at all and thus, nothing to report bar "slow"
2000m - about where I've been for 5 years
5000m - best for 2 years
6000m - poorest for 5 years
10,000m - slowest SB ever although I did scrape under 40 mins twice this season
HM - best for 5 years
FM - best for 2 years (although should have been best for about 5 years but for shoes issues, not stamina etc)
30 mins - about where I've been for 5 years
60 mins - best for 3 years

I only attended a handful of races - Welsh IRC where I got my SB for 2k at 7:20.3 (with a migraine), Devon IRC where I got by 5k SB (19:10.0) and the Starnberg 30 minutes where my wheels were never really attached, let alone fell off during the race.
I didn't attempt any ultra-distance/duration stuff either so no new records to talk about.

Injury and health-wise, I can't complain. I've been (as far as I can remember) able to row throughout the year without anything other than aches and fatigue and minor niggles. No broken this or pulled that or debilitating illness (temporary or otherwise).

For the upcoming season I have mixed thoughts. I'm kind of tired of being tired/achy so much and constantly not doing things that might "get in the way" of training so I'm beginning to think of dropping the metreage a week by one training session (either the Sat or Sun) and just doing three. If there is a race event I might pick that up again for the 4~5 weeks beforehand but I can only really see me doing Devon again (it's a good event), EIRC (as there wasn't one this year and it's so local to me) and maybe Starnberg again (as I move up an age group in a week!). I still have a small niggle about the British 50+ LWT 100km but it's been there for 2~3 years and never grown to more than that so think that will have to be let go of.

It's been great to see so many new names on the forum and I hope we continue to find more and have them take part in the various challenges (I'd love to see us win one one day!)
As for Free Spirits attending race events, it's been possibly our worst year ever with very few race reports coming back - it would be so nice to see the days of 10~15 of us rocking up somewhere in team colours again.

To all those who look after the various parts of this forum (Paul V, Rodger, Captain Stan, Thomas of course for holding it together technically, the moderators and the regular contributors) - a huge thank you to all. Please make it continue - and to any who are lurking but too shy to contribute, don't be, as we are stronger as a team when we pull and work together (literally) and all the vocal encouragement helps massively.

Good luck for the new season everyone (oh, and remember, the metreboard always goes a bit weird for a few days at the turnover of the season but sit tight, it'll come right )

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: 2017/18 Summary and Aspirations for 2018/19

Post by paulgould »

Great post, Dave.
Has been overall a good year for me - re-discovered my love for the erg after a 3-4 year period with very little erging due to various life issues.
Managed nearly 3.5 million metres, lost 13-14 kg and re-discovered my competitive spirit(thanks mainly to Tako, Fred and Peter W for that).
Slipped a disc halfway through the season which was a bit of a setback, and my erg has had 2 injuries too(I have replaced the flywheel, and am waiting till the end of the month to replace the chain and sprocket which are FUBAR).
This coming season I want to shed a lot more weight and set at least 1 PB(any distance will do) - I also plan to get out on the bike and discover the Isle of Wight properly after moving here in 2016.
Well done to all the FS'ers who achieved their goals and participated in all the events and challenges over the past year.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

Have to agree with Paul here, great post by Dave.

This season has been a good one for me. For most of the ranking distances I managed 7-8 years bests which was very much helped by the friendly competition I had with Paul G, Fred and Tako (until he got too fast for me :lol: )

For the coming season I'd like to keep my current momentum and slowly work towards old PBs. That's a very competitive goal but you have to start somewhere, don't you?
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

An inspired thread Plummy, great idea. Hopefully people will provide occasional updates on their progress and achievements.

In many ways this was my first proper year on the erg and highlights include...
1. Joining Free Spirits :fssmile:
2. Personal record at BRIC (6.55.4, my first competitive sub 7) 8)
3. Learning to do longer slower rows

Looking forward to the new season my dreams include...
1. Enter a masters event and win a medal*
2. Nonathlon score of 8100+
3. Spend less time at the physio

*This requires a truly massive improvement to my 1k time (3:19.7) because the average for a top 3 place at one event I looked at was 3:13.8 :shock:. Still it's nice to dream!

Max
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Since this was only a partial year with my own erg, it’s a bit of a transition year but some highlights:
- I came remarkably close to 3mm for the year, which I wouldn’t have predicted (and without the rib issue at the turn of the year I might have achieved)
- I now know what a rib injury feels like, and how long it takes to heal, so perhaps I won’t be quite so stupid next time :oops:
- I surprised myself with several FM times that got close to being respectable
- When Plummy wasn’t looking, I occasionally did well in the CTC. Guy is so far off into the distance it’s almost comical, so his efforts go well beyond providing targets and into the “I’ll tell people about that time because its bonkers” and
- I do now have my own erg.

For next year some "realistic" objectives:
- A full house of CTCs would be nice, with occasional visits to boat number 2
- A sub 3 hour FM, and a sub 40 minute 10km.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Good idea plummy.

2017/18 was generally a pretty poor season for me, blighted by injury and subsequent lack of motivation. I've got a bit more on track over the last couple of months, but various niggles are beginning to re-emerge and I may have to be quite diligent in order to remain relatively injury free next season. I'm not planning to row today because my left shoulder is quite sore following yesterday's sprints.

I only managed 816k meters this season, which is my lowest total since I started erging regularly in 2006/07. I've also had my lowest nonathlon score in quite a while, although my final total of 8,163 is a lot better than I was expecting to reach a couple of months back. But I got nowhere near any of my PBs from a few years back, typically around 8 to 10 seconds slower per 500m.

My ambitions for 2018/19 are relatively modest.

1. Remain injury free.
2. Beat all this season's SBs
3. Do at least 1,000,000 meters, preferably at least twice that amount
4. Get over 900 nonathlon points over all distances and reach 950 over at least one distance (OK, that is definitely going to be a challenge!).
5. Do my first FM since 2015

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Daffy »

So. I did 407k this year. Doesn't seem a lot by the regulars' standards, but I have also done a fair bit of indoor skiing, a bit of snowboarding, walking, the odd bike ride, etc. A cruise. Couple of ski weeks. A few long weekends away involving longer walks. Hoping to be a bit more consistent with the rowing this year. First goal is to pass 6 million lifetime. No great ambitions other than a bit of fitness so I can enjoy the rest of life. :)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Great idea to reintroduce this thread, Dave :!: :idea: And well-written, too :!: :D

Also good to hear from you, Jane :!: :fssmile: Glad to hear you are still plugging some meters on your erg, in-between all of your other endeavours :!: 8) Must admit that I have stolen the idea of an occasional 5k from you... :wink: :oops: :wink: :lol:

For me Im not that ambitious anymore, as some of you might have noticed. Still my impression is that when I do an erg workout with some resemblance of dignity Im doing well both physically and mentally. This past season I must admit that focus has been on the bike, and some months I have only done 3 or 4 workouts OTE. Will try and do 3 to 4 workouts OTE per week for a while to see what that will bring. Of course I have to listen to my body and not overdo and overcook things :!: :idea: So looking forward to a new season with new SBs and just see how things turn out... :wink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

I absolutely agree that it's a great idea, this thread.
At the moment I'm on holiday with a bit poor WiFi at the moment, typing will be ok, I'll see whether posting will work.
This year has been one without personal bests, I think they are a thing of the past altogether, but with several results being the best since years.
Also it's been a season with the most meters ever. And the most days with rowing.
The CTC has been new for me as well. As mentioned by others, the friendly competition with particularly Tako,Paul G and Peter was inspiring.
I've also participated in the IRL, also the first time. Fun to row those two challenges per month. Though when I'm at it the fun is far away sometimes.
My nonathlon score is just above 8000, I'm ok with that. My meta-nonathlon was almost everywhere green, except for the half marathon, which was 100, but not fast enough to go green. By the way, I've given up on the full marathon. There's no intention to row one, to little fun there :? .

I don't know whether the forthcoming season will be one with as much meters as this one since I've taken up (I don't know the exact english terms, sorry) rowing in a sloop, a whaler in our case, twice a week. There will be less time left to row on the C2, but so far it's been fun. I'm now a proud member of "Roeiers op de Rotte".
I still want to participate in the CTC an the IRL. I hope to score all nonathlon distances except for the marathon. 8000 points will be ok for me. And some sort of greenish meta-nonathlon.

May 12 will be my first on water rowing event, the Rotterdam Memorial Regatta. Looking out for that though I think it will be tough.

I wish everyone all the best for the forthcoming season, if not with rowing then with life in general.

I may have left out something, but breakfast is being served :fswink:

Have fun.
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Thank you all for a great season; my first complete one as I started in summer 2016.

As stated earlier the bug has really got me!

Thanks to the great competition and motivation from you all (especially Peter, Paul, Fred, Dave, Iain, Felton, Claudius, Jill) it has been a great and successful season!
PBs on all distances, all C2CTC, IRL, nonathlon distances green, all c2 challenges, more than 7,1k a day despite the bugs my kids brought home (hence top 20 in meterboard)

Weight stayed constant but body shape improved ;-)

After such a great season it is difficult to see how to enter the new season as it can only get worse ;-)

Here the goals that I came up with so far (maybe too many but overlapping)
- less meters, more speed (seems to also better burn fat)
- new PBs on all
- IRL, C2CTC, C2 challenges
- my first event (maybe Starnberg or where I can meet most FSs)
- 8000+ on nonathlon (hopefully easier this year due to age ;-) )

Good luck and health to you all!!
Thanks for the great season and I am really looking forward to the next!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
RogerB
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by RogerB »

My aim is to attempt every CTC, avoid another heart attack and keep taking the pills.
Tako

Post by Tako »

Sounds like some good goals to me Roger.
I wish you all the best for your health!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Rodger
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

2017/2018 was not a good season for me. I rowed less than I had hoped. This picture from the logbook of my meters per season speaks volumes:

An important part of the reason is that I now seem to need three days of recovery after every intensive workout. I still haven't figured out why exactly that is. If it's to do with my chronic inflammatory diseases or something else. I'm close to accepting this as the new reality though. This severely limits the gains I can get from training. I started using a stationary bike to compensate for the diminished hours of cardio exercise and help with my main goal of staying reasonably fit. However, I found that cycling exercise does not translate into rowing fitness, sadly.

For the season 18/19 this probably means my rowing output again won't be very high. 1 Million meters seems a good target.
I intend to do all CTCs (health issues permitting).
Performance wise, my aim for the season will be a predominantly (light) green meta-nonathlon.

That's about it. Best of luck and health to all Free Spirits this season!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

My comeback season went well until the final row of 60 minutes in April after which I experienced severe back pain.
As a consequence, my activities since have been restricted to two visits to the physio, gentle recovery exercises and walking.
I am in a better state now and hope to be able to have an ultra-slow and cautious attempt at the CTC at the end of the month.

My aims for the new season are:

a) Regular back maintenance exercises
b) Row 500k
c) Complete all CTC’s
d) 8500 Nonathlon points
e) Retain 1st place in WRVIS 80-89 Lwt. category
f) Participate in WEC
g) Post 100th successive monthly limerick in February 2019

Hazel & I are just coming to the end of a stay in Hobart. Amongst the city’s many attractions is a Real Tennis court where we had the
opportunity of seeing a game being played. It’s something like squash only with very complicated rules. I would have loved to have a go :!:

Best wishes to all FS for the new season and provided I take it steady it won’t be too long before I’m back in action.
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

2017/8 saw 3 short attempts to start rowing again, best since 2013 but totally feeble. spurred on by an assessment (admittedly of dubious accuracy) of 28% body fat at medical, realised that my relatively consistent weight had hidden a steady reduction in muscle. Walking with a slow dog is no substitute to the metal mistress!

So main target is to keep rowing throughout 2018/9 however low a meterage. realistically don't expect more than 80 sessions in the year, so will aim for 100.

My PBs are of historic relevance only. But hope to get fit enough to maintain R24 for 30' at a reasonable amount of work per stroke. Also hope to do 20+ 10k+ sessions of work.

will aim to regularly log my exploits on this forum.

Hope to make it back into at least one boat during the season.

Good to see many of the old people and some new names after so long away. Good rowing to one and all.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

This is a great idea for a stream. I do seem to remember it from a while back. Thanks Plummy for bringing it back to life for us. I personally find it a great idea to have a reflect, to be honest with yourself, and to think about the rowing year ahead.

Last year was pretty poor. I was going to say my worst year on the erg, since I started in 2015. But it turns out, looking at the seasons I have rowed that the year before was equally poor.

:oops: One definite goal for this year is to be able to put images in a post. I can't for the life of me get them to work anymore!

Shall I get my excuses out for this year? Oh, go on then, if you insist! :fsbgrin:

Last year was a pretty complex one for me. I continued to referee Rugby Union which takes a lot of my time at the weekend, and weekends would normally be where I would reliably row. So, I need to be more disciplined to row more during the week.

Rowing during the week has also been very trying. I have a very stressful job (CEO of a company employing 450 people) and last year was particularly hard and exhausting. When I got home, I had probably been working a 12-14 hour day. The last thing I had the energy to do was to go into the garage and start rowing, and anyway I have a family to come home to and I wanted to spend what time I could with them.

Part of the stress was also down to a very large IT project at work. In the final months of the programme I became obsessed with not getting ill. I just couldn't afford not to be at work. So, wrongly, I stopped pushing myself hard at exercise. This of course was the wrong thing to do. I should have rowed, run and cycled, but I find it difficult not to push myself hard and I was convinced that would hit my immune system. Particularly after I got the worst bout of flu I had ever had. The good thing is I gave up booze completely, also to boost the immune system. :D

Just to top it all I also crashed my bike, knocked myself out and ended up in hospital with some bad cuts on my head and face and concussion. Happy days! So, no cycling either for a while. For the cyclists reading this....yes my bike was fine. :lol:

The good news is that the programme is delivered and, fingers crossed, work ought to be less demanding this season. I am lucky with work in terms of working 20 minutes walk from home. So no excuses that I am away from home a lot and have no erg access. Yay!

So, 250K metres is poor for me. Needless to say I had no Personal Bests, and I finished outside the Top 100 of the metreboard. I did manage every CTC - sometimes that was the only row I did all month. I had a sea of red and amber in the meta-nonathlon.

What about this season? Glad you asked :fsbgrin:

I would love to hit one million metres, but that is a big hike for me and rowing will always be just part of my exercise regime, so it will always compete for time with other activities. I will do the full set of CTCs again. Some green on the meta-nonathlon would be a result. Most of all, I just want to get back on the erg, not feel knackered at the end of it, get a sense of improvement and also get back into participating in this group. I have been watching the group but not really joining in because I have fault a fraud, watching so many others put in so much effort when I have done so little.

There, that's all of that off my chest. Thanks for asking :lol: :lol:
Last edited by JonT on Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

This is a great thread, good to read about people's experiences and plans. Good luck to everybody in making their plans come true :fsbgrin:

I'm a bit late with my entry, but was waiting to see how the marathon challenge would go, before committing myself to anything :wink:

After 6 months with no rowing, last year for me was mainly about getting the meters in without worrying too much about the pace. I'm happy with the meters done, but didn't get anywhere near my PBs (the 6k CTC was the only exception where I got close).

This year I'm planning to keep up the meters, and to improve on last year's SBs. I might even improve a few PBs - for this I was first targeting the FM and HM for the marathon challenge. The HM last Sunday turned out to be a car crash - it was too hot and I couldn't keep up the pace and limped home :( At least I finished it. Today (after buying a new seat pad :fsbgrin:) I did the FM and did manage to improve my PB by almost a minute and a half. So that's one goal already achieved :D although my fingers and bum are now aching and I'm feeling tired all over ... Fortunately I've got Sheena to look after me :D
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Thank you Plummy for starting this thread with your excellent post - I have enjoyed reading all the other interesting and inspiring contributions as well. :) =D>

Lots of thanks also to Thomas ( as I’m techlexic, then he is a god 8) ^O^ ) ) and to those of you who look after the other various threads so efficiently. ^O^ 8) :)

It has taken me a while and a few aborted attempts, to come up with my own offering.

Proudest Achievements For Last Season:

My continued love affair with Darth Vader - we celebrated our 4th Erging Anniversary in March. :D

Allowing for the occasional packet of crisps, the occasional ‘ all things cheesy ‘ and the occasional Mars Bar, still keeping my weight at a healthy level. Yeah. Yeah. Okay. I know. It’s Miss Goody Bl - - dy Two Shoes again. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Failings For Last Season:

I didn’t manage to reach the hoped for 2,000,000m for the season, due to being away and also gadding about with friends for what seemed to be the entire month of April. Love rowing … but … love my friends even more. :)

I regret not contributing to the forum as much but there were other things going on in my life, including the deaths of two close friends, which mentally, crushed me down at times. Rowing was therapeutic.

Hopes For This Season:

To be able to write at the beginning of next season, “ My continued love affair … “ and “ Allowing for the occasional packet … “ :D

Making more of an effort to improve on my out of date PBs. My competitive streak ebbs and flows, with more ebbing than flowing. :roll: :lol: :wink: A recent attempt at improving my 500m ( fastest time 2.08.9 set in October 2015 ) was laughable and I knew about 300 metres in, that there was no way I could bring the pace down below 2.25.0. To be honest it was a shock and I do worry that I have regressed somewhat. :shock: On the other hand, the next day, I did start with a cold, so perhaps it was that. :(

I do hope that everyone will try hard to achieve their own goals and also stay healthy and injury free and it is excellent to see new members joining and the return of past members. =D> :D

Take care and row safely, row well.

Jill :)
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

plummy wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm In previous years a thread like this used to pop up quite regularly...
Plummy, Hopefully you'll fire the starting gun on the upcoming season with a new thread....
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Pepe

Re: Re:2018/19 Summary + Aspirations for 2019/20

Post by Pepe »

This time last year
Pepe wrote

My aims for the new season are:

a) Regular back maintenance exercises
b) Row 500k
c) Complete all CTC’s
d) 8500 Nonathlon points
e) Retain 1st place in WRVIS 80-89 Lwt. category
f) Participate in WEC
g) Post 100th successive monthly limerick in February 2019
This was the outcome:
a) Not done
b) Yes
c) Yes
d) 53 points short
e) No. Came 2nd.
f) Yes
g) Yes (Posted final one in March)

I move inexorably into a higher age group soon and hope to make an impact there!
Philip Price 89 Lwt. 68 kg. 176 cm. “Rather than rust I’ll wear out.”