6 Nations

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: 6 Nations

Post by Paul Victory »

What an incredible day's rugby! I thought England were going to snatch it right at the end. 221 points in 3 games! Absolutely incredible. I'm shattered after watching that.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Paul, I have to say well done Ireland.
They beat England, so the table is fair.
I'm still recovering though!
What on earth were the French doing tapping two quick penaltieson their line when the clock had gone over 80-min? :lol: :lol:
Incredible day.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Wolfmiester wrote:Hi Paul, I have to say well done Ireland.
They beat England, so the table is fair.
I'm still recovering though!
Thanks Steve. I really thought England were going to do it and that Madigan's missed penalty with the last kick of the Scotland-Ireland match was going to be crucial. I saw the end of the Italy-Wales game and I thought Wales had put it beyond reach until Italy scored that late try. Fair play to England for getting so close to snatching it.
Wolfmiester wrote:What on earth were the French doing tapping two quick penaltieson their line when the clock had gone over 80-min? :lol: :lol:
I know! WTF???? :shock:
Wolfmiester wrote:Incredible day.
Absolutely incredible day's rugby - possibly the best ever. Certainly the best in the history of the 6 Nations. The world cup is shaping up nicely. Ireland-England final, anyone?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Paul,
I'm off to Paris for what will hopefully be a Grand Slam party on Sat \:D/ \:D/
Great to see England performing already under Jones, could be the start of a few good years.
Ireland now in transition I think.
Wolfie

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Wolfmiester wrote:Hi Paul,
I'm off to Paris for what will hopefully be a Grand Slam party on Sat \:D/ \:D/
Great to see England performing already under Jones, could be the start of a few good years.
Ireland now in transition I think.
Hard to see England losing on Saturday. But I suppose you never know with France. Hope you enjoy the weekend, one way or the other.

I think Ireland now are a bit like England after you won the World Cup. A lot of senior players had retired and it takes a while for new talent to come through to replace them. Some good young players coming through for Ireland, but it may take a while to bed everything down. In the short term, it will be interesting to see how they perform against Scotland.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

What a day's rugby!
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Fantastic result!!!

As good as England have been over the last year or so, it would have been a travesty if they had claimed the world record for consecutive wins without having played the AB's(who are still streets ahead of everyone else out there)

This year's 6N was the best I have seen - the highest standard of rugby the competition has ever had - the NH teams have improved out of sight, and with us(Boks) in seemingly terminal decline, and the Aussies not very good, the honour of the Southern Hemisphere is going to have to be carried by NZ!!

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

funny to see a comment now that England have lost :lol:
(I was waiting)
I went to the Italy and Scotland games, my god what a difference they were! :shock:
We (England fans) knew that Ireland would be a tough ask, and there you go.
The weather probably helped Ireland, but they played better and deservedly won, again.
We now all hope for the extra game to be squeezed in for Eng/NZ in the autumn. I hear on the grapevine though that they don't play each other that often because NZ want too much money...
Wolfie

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

and Paul, I agree about the standard of the 6N this year.. every game that did not involve Italy was a cracker
Wolfie

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

So, less than a month away ... should be intriguing.
Lets hope Scotland can live up to the recent form and hype.

I have been unable to get tickets this year (our club only had 18 per home match, disgraceful).
So if anyone knows of a spare couple for the Eng/Ire game please do let me know!!
Wolfie

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Sorry, but can't resist celebrating only the 3rd ever Grand Slam for Ireland. And to achieve it on St Patrick's Day :mrgreen: and against 'the old enemy' in their backyard makes it extra special.

In fairness to England, they kept going right to the end and deserved that final try. But Ireland's defence was outstanding today and it would be great if we could carry that form through to the World Cup, where we have been serial underachievers. We've never even made it to the semi finals.

Paul V
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Yes, you could have posting something during the tournament :lol:
The Sexton drop goal in week 1 was probably the pivotal moment!
Congratulations Paul, thoroughly deserved. Oh to have been in Twickenham on Saturday night eh!
England were poor no matter which way you look at it. We've got problems if a 34 yr old scrum half is the best we've got.
Wolfie

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm not sure what's happened to England over their last few matches. I was expecting them to be chasing a Grand Slam when we met them and hoping that we would still be in the running. Funny old game, eh?

There was a lot of controversy during the week when comments Jones made about Ireland and Wales surfaced in a video of a talk he gave to a subsidiary of Mitsubishi. I think that may have helped to motivate our players on Saturday.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Wolfmiester wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:45 am Yes, you could have posting something during the tournament :lol:
The Sexton drop goal in week 1 was probably the pivotal moment!
Congratulations Paul, thoroughly deserved. Oh to have been in Twickenham on Saturday night eh!
England were poor no matter which way you look at it. We've got problems if a 34 yr old scrum half is the best we've got.
Ireland were really good throughout the tournament and are comfortably the no. 2 side in the world now.
A few thoughts about the England team -
England appear to be having the same issues now that we have had the last few years(except Eng have not had the misfortune of 2 years of Alister Coetzee!!) - the back row is too slow and cumbersome, so not able to compete at the breakdown - having a 34 yo scrumhalf doesn't help, but behind that back row no scrumhalf will look good - also, the flyhalf is not international class.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

paulgould wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am Ireland were really good throughout the tournament and are comfortably the no. 2 side in the world now.
England appear to be having the same issues now that we have had the last few years(except Eng have not had the misfortune of 2 years of Alister Coetzee!!) - the back row is too slow and cumbersome, so not able to compete at the breakdown - having a 34 yo scrumhalf doesn't help, but behind that back row no scrumhalf will look good - also, the flyhalf is not international class.
Paul G
I didn't want to depress myself by going in to too much, I was just using the 9 as an example :-)
100% about the back row, and that's were the main problem lies. We've got injuries, but even so ...
Ford doesn't become a bad player overnight, but seems to suffer from confidence issues? He will have been affected by the back row situation too. He was certainly all right during 2017!
As for ZA ... less said the better. I had the privilege of talking to one of their ex players last year and he was convinced that nothing will change until the system changes top to bottom.
Wolfie

paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Wolfmiester wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:33 pm
paulgould wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am Ireland were really good throughout the tournament and are comfortably the no. 2 side in the world now.
Paul G
I didn't want to depress myself by going in to too much, I was just using the 9 as an example :-)
100% about the back row, and that's were the main problem lies. We've got injuries, but even so ...
Ford doesn't become a bad player overnight, but seems to suffer from confidence issues? He will have been affected by the back row situation too. He was certainly all right during 2017!
As for ZA ... less said the better. I had the privilege of talking to one of their ex players last year and he was convinced that nothing will change until the system changes top to bottom.
I don't think Ford is a bad player, but I'm not convinced he is international class - we have the same issue with Elton Jantjies - when he plays for the Lions in Super Rugby he is often pure class, but can't transfer that to the international stage where he has less time and the game is much tighter.
I hope you are wrong about the Boks, but I don't think you are - we have lost over 400 professional players from the system, playing in France, Japan and the rest of Europe - where previously a player would go over at the end of his career to boost the bank balance with the Rand being such a weak currency, now you have players going straight overseas after U20's , and some even from school.
I think Rassie Erasmus will bring about an improvement in the Boks(he appears to have directed the Super Rugby franchise coaches to play in the style that he wants the Boks to play - this is what the AB's do, and it works brilliantly), but his hands will still be tied by political interference.
I read today that Eddie Jones is going to leave his Lions players at home for the upcoming SA tour, which is a bit of a shame even though his logic is quite sound.
Should still be some good rugby though.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m