Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Massi
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Beginners

Post by Massi »

So..my first two 'serious' workouts: yesterday a 10k, keeping really low BPM (around 120), trying to focus on technique. Quite happy how it went, but I feel reeeeeeeally slow :-)
This morning I tried a 'fast' (for me) 5K, and BPM were quite high, I think max was 161. Obviously being mainly a runner I don't have the technique and the muscles of a rower, but it was quite fun anyway. The good thing is how quickly I recover from the effort, without any pain in the joints...much better that running everyday :-)
Massi
Warming up

Post by Massi »

Hi, I'm trying to share my logbook with the free spirits community, as described here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=454
I did it yesterday but I don't think that is working for me yet: am i missing something?
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Hi Massi - I'm not sure if that has worked for a long time. That said, I haven't looked into it or checked it for years either.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Hi,

Just read this full thread, I have been looking for good friendly advice since I got my model E on Wednesday evening. It looks like you guys may have got the job.

Previously I had only been using a rower as a warm up to gym sessions, I hadn't appreciated the extent of the benefit offered from this great bit of kit. I have decided to increase my fitness (and by default lose a little weight) over the coming months and then I hope to maintain that long-term.

I have done a few benchmark tests, the two primary ones are 500m in 1:48.6 and a rather poor 9:28.6 for my 2k, hoping that developing my technique and stamina I will improve on these over the coming months.

As an engineer I must also comment on the quality of the Concept 2 equipment. This is really engineered for a lifetime's use. They are expensive but certainly offer value at that price and not least because of the comparability which for me certainly offers a mechanism for increased motivation.

Looking forward to participating in this community.

Stewart
JonT

Post by JonT »

Magrew wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 am Hi,

Just read this full thread, I have been looking for good friendly advice since I got my model E on Wednesday evening. It looks like you guys may have got the job.
That's great to hear Stewart. Welcome to a group who are always willing to give advice and support. For extra motivation (if you need any :fsbgrin:) I would recommend that you get involved in some of the team events such as the Concept 2 Virtual Team Challenge, the Concept 2 Cross Team challenge and the Nonathlon. You will find discussions around then in the forum.

Any advice that you need just ask away. A really good starting point is Plummy's Lexicon which you can find here.

Great to have you aboard.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have already joined the FS virtual team but I will check the others out.

I note your age and height matches mine. With a bit of time on the rower hopefully I will soon match your weight. LOL

All the best.

Stewart
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Magrew wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 am Previously I had only been using a rower as a warm up to gym sessions, I hadn't appreciated the extent of the benefit offered from this great bit of kit. I have decided to increase my fitness (and by default lose a little weight) over the coming months and then I hope to maintain that long-term.
Stewart, welcome to Free Spirits. :)

Good luck with the weight loss - two years on and I'm still maintaining mine. :D
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Hi Jill,

Thank you for the welcome.
Looking forward to some lighthearted chat and helpful advice and encouragement. Happy to offer the same in return. Obviouslybeing a newbie my advice may be a bit more lightweight than myself initially. :wink:

Stewart
Peter_S
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by Peter_S »

Magrew wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 pm Obviouslybeing a newbie my advice may be a bit more lightweight than myself initially. :wink:

Stewart
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But really, welcome. =D>

Peter
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

So, I have rowed 30k in the first week and I have gained 0.8kg in weight.

Must be eating too much!!!
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Magrew wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 am So, I have rowed 30k in the first week and I have gained 0.8kg in weight.

Must be eating too much!!!
Or developing muscle tissue!
Welcome, by the way! :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Or developing muscle tissue!
That would be very rapid muscle development for a man of my age.

Thank you for the welcome Rodger.
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

So, I went for my first online row with RowPro, looking for one to join I saw one described as "Easy Row 30minr18" I thought fine, that looks nice and relaxed, I will join that.

How wrong could I have been!!!! Three other guys, nice and friendly chat at the start and then we were off. Bloody hell were they off, front guy rowing at a 1:37, other guys were more around a 2:00 pace. Holy moly, I tried my best but I think I was over 3 k behind the lead guy at the end!!! I had a good chat with them afterwards. Nice people, they laughed when I said I had had my machine for 8 days.

I hope to find people nearer my ability in the future. Hahaha
JonT

Post by JonT »

Magrew wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:57 pm So, I went for my first online row with RowPro, looking for one to join I saw one described as "Easy Row 30minr18" I thought fine, that looks nice and relaxed, I will join that.

How wrong could I have been!!!!
Stewart, that has pretty much always been my experience on RowPro, but don't let that put you off. The people will be supportive and it gets you rowing, so stick with it.

I once came second to last only to be told afterwards that the guy who came in after me was rowing one-handed because of a shoulder injury! :lol: :lol: ^O^ ^O^ #-o #-o
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Yes Jon, I agree very friendly people. I have exchanged a few emails with them since but they are very committed rowers. The fast guy is looking to snatch the 2k record for my age group in a couple of months. I think he is in with a shout. He is ranked at number 5 on C2 at the moment.

It was good to see someone with good pace though. Something to aspire to if maybe a little slower.
Tako

Post by Tako »

Don't worry, there are many others and all kinds of speeds. You could install the Oarbits app to follow what happens and schedule own rows in advance with a speed target and see who joins. I am a big fan of RowPro and have seen all kinds of paces.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Gir3vik74
Warming up

Post by Gir3vik74 »

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on here for a couple of weeks since I bought my Model D, which is hands down the best piece of machinery I've ever bought. I've now managed to paddle 5 miles without keeling over so I thought it was safe to introduce myself :-)

I'm Neil, I'm 43 and desperately unfit. My diet isn't *too* bad (I usually restrict myself to Huel shakes for breakfast an lunch, with a sensible evening meal) most of the time but since we had our 2 year-old whirlwind of a son, we've been eating far too many takeaways and our health has suffered. I've been on medication for blood pressure for 3 years now, with little effect and every January my GP shakes his head in dismay as my BP continues to hover around the "malignant hypertension" level. I was always extremely slim through to my mid 20's. My BMI was 18.5 and I could eat for England, never putting any weight on. Then the trouble started. My weight has fluctuated between 90 and 97Kg for the last 15 years. The last time I was 97Kg, I swore to myself "never again" and here I am again in Jan 2018 at 95 Kg...

I thought, "enough is enough; I can't do this with diet alone, as I've proved many times" so I bought myself an Erg. I had used an absolutely filthy one at my local gym a couple of times as a "warm up" but never realised the huge, holistic health benefits associated with rowing. With working long hours and having a young family, getting to the gym regularly for rowing just wasn't going to happen and I have the space in my "lair" (man cave) so why not? After checking with my GP that I wasn't going to have a stroke over-exerting myself, I set to it. I bought RowPro partly for the visual stimulus/racing myself (which I really like), partly to satisfy the inner data geek and partly to make updating my C2 logbook a bit easier. So far, I'm really enjoying it and I'm not sure it would be the same with just the PM5 to gawp at.

My initial plan was to get used to the required technique and then use the Pete Plan beginner programme but having read through the RowPro docs this evening, I think I'm actually going to do one of the canned/personalised plans in RP to begin with. Currently, I'm embarrassingly slow; I averaged a 2:16/500 split time for 3km of intervals tonight (the first week 1 session of the Beginner Pete Plan) and I followed that up with a 500m ranked row in 2:12. Would I have been any quicker if I was fresh? Doubtful.

I've started with my Erg set to a drag factor of 125, which I'm feeling might be a little low. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely knackered after 1Km but I feel as if I'm only really engaging my legs at the catch about 50% of the time. I don't know if it's my Gibbon-like arms which are the problem and I may have to plump up the courage to stick a video online. Reading about proper technique and even watching it being done properly is all very well but putting it into practise...

Goals... With or without medication, I'd like to get my resting BP under 140/80 and my resting heart-rate back down to sub-60 from 75-80 (I kid you not). I'd also like to lose at least a stone by July and more importantly, keep it off. I intend to do this through healthier eating, with Erging and walking as my primary modes of exercise; while I've used kettlebells in the past (hence my screen name) I can't press a bell overhead safely these days due to tendon issues in my left hand (which don't cause a problem when rowing).

Well, that's enough drivvel from me for now, looking forward to progressing with my rowing and wishing everyone here good fun and good fitness

Regards
Neil
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Welcome to Free Spirits Neil,

great to have you on board and thank you for such a detailed introduction. So far you've done everything right. You chose a Concept2 for improving health, asked your doctor, got your own machine, even got RowPro and - most importantly :D - joined Free Spirits.

You shouldn't worry at all about your current performance. It will improve once you have started a structured training plan. So will your health which, as I understand it, is your primary concern.

If you like you can upload a video of yourself and ask for advice regarding technique.

We have a weight loss thread on the forum (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3488) which you might like to join.

Best of luck with your progress in health and fitness.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

I couldn't agree more with Grobi. It's far too easy to surge off too quickly and unsustainably, so whether by Row pro or Pete plan (or indeed any other structured plan) you're definitely on the right track.

Looking forward to hearing progress :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

Yep - everything Grobi (Peter) said plus "welcome to Free Spirits"

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Hi Neil,

It is good to see someone else begin this journey at the same time as me. Our purpose seems to be very similar. Your pace is a little ahead of mine though for the 2k.

I also signed up to RowPro, it would be good to row with you someday.

Stewart
Gir3vik74
Warming up

Post by Gir3vik74 »

Hi everyone and thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, my primary goal is to regain some long-lost fitness and lose weight. I've only burned a few hundred calories rowing so far but I feel heaps better within myself alreaady. I forgot to mention that I also use Elite HRV in conjunction with my Polar heart-rate monitor and my HRV has improved markedly since I started rowing. The day after the first rowing session, my HRV had swung right over into parasympathetic/deep recovery mode but after subsequent sessions, my readings are balanced in a way they haven't been for quite some time. I seem to be adapting to my new exercise regimen well, which was a big concern prior to starting.

As well as building my fitness, I would also like to exercise my competitive streak and hope that with time, I can start posting some decent metres for the team.

Stewart: yes, would certainly be good to train online. I've not tried the online aspect of RowPro yet as I figured even the "easy rows" would leave me in the hogweed, so to speak. I've seen the training partner section on the C2 logbook but I've not actually investigated what that's all about yet; have had a tricky week at work with not much free time, hence the lateness of this reply.

Kind regards
Neil
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Stewart and Neil

Welcome to Free Spirits!

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Magrew
Warming up

Post by Magrew »

Cheers Paul, I am learning lots very quickly thanks to the friendly reception on this forum.

Stewart
plummy

Post by plummy »

If you fancy using Rowpro but are worried about being left behind, the timed rows (e.g. 30 minutes) are useful as everyone finishes at the same time and no one is "waiting at the finishing line" for anyone else.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"