Complete novice - 2k advice

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Davidba
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Complete novice - 2k advice

Post by Davidba »

Hi guys. I have been using the c2 machine in the gym for the last week and really enjoyed it. I had no previous rowing experiences (but have kept fit with cycling and running). 33 yrs old, 78 kg, 1.86m. Did a little reading online about how to use the machines and liked the idea of trying to do a decent 2k time.

Managed 7.20 in my first pull yesterday then did 30 mins today followed by a 2k at 7 min 6 seconds.(bit easier today as football position was better lower). 34 spam,drag factor 130

Any advice on creating a training schedule to try to do focus on 2k times? And, roughly, what sort of time cold I potentially do with rowing specific training.

Thanks
D
186cm/c. 86kg
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Re: Complete novice - 2k advice

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi David - if you have an immediate affinity for ergs, and an immediate affinity for 2ks =D> AND are closing in fast on sub 7:00 after only a few rows then I'd say you have a great deal of potential.

Peter & Alan and others are better at predictive analysis -- but go to the C2 rankings: https://log.concept2.com/rankings and check your age/weight group, see where your starting point is. We're coming up on a change of season so lots of rowers have logged their race times. This means as of now the targets for a 2k based on the rankings would be quite competitive. And, you have a large, popular age group so if it helps, do a custom age range and narrow down the field a bit.

I won't advise on plans -- there are several routes based on how you like to interact and what motivates you as far as training -- but I will say spend plenty of time on technique videos (c2 and others). That'll be time well spent to avoid going for a 2k in a way that may cause injury.

Enjoy! and thanks for checking in! This forum operates in a slower response mode than other types of rowing groups, but there's a ton of expertise here so keep us updated on your progress!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Given that I have never rowed a 2k under 7:20 after 5 years of (sometimes) trying, I can only agree with Barbara that you seem to have a natural ability to do great in this sport. Whether for you that is to go under 6:40, 6:30, 6:20 or maybe even better, I don't think anyone will be able to tell you right now.

There are lots of training programmes around that focus on 2k training. The so called Pete Plan has been one of the most popular in the last couple of years, as evidenced by our own 262 page thread on it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=661

I leave any further recommendations or estimates to our more knowledgeable members. Have fun!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Hi David - and welcome to Free Spirits. I used the Pete Plan as mentioned by Rodger above and it was the route I took to finally get me under 7:00 having been stuck 8~15 seconds above that for a while. Given you've only had a couple of goes and have already hit 7:06 I really don't think sub 7 will be an issue for you so the only question is how low you can go. With specific training you might be looking at 6:40~6:45 - but it'll hurt.

Where are you from David?

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Davidba

Post by Davidba »

Thanks for the replies to date. I'm based in N.Ireland. I may or may not have been able to dip below 7 minutes had I not trained beforehand but I dont plan on testing again until i do some rowing training. I have a half decent engine but its years since I have used my upper body for anything other than holding the handlebars of a bike!

I found some fairly useful info (including plans) from;
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... 0XW09GgF7Q
186cm/c. 86kg
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Davidba wrote:Managed 7.20 in my first pull yesterday then did 30 mins today followed by a 2k at 7 min 6 seconds.(bit easier today as football position was better lower). 34 spam,drag factor 130
Well done, David!

That's an amazing time for a beginner! Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, :P
Davidba

Post by Davidba »

Thanks, I am in the second week of the interactive 2k plan from the web link I added in my last post. Last night was 3x11 at 1.55-1.57 (2 mins easier between). Sessions generally 45 mins or just over in total. Aiming for about 5 sessions per week and will test properly in about 5 weeks time.

I have upped the Drag factor to c. 140 (from 130). Stroke rate coming down a little now (early to mid 20s for last nights blocks, whereas would have been late 20s when I started). Have noticed that the chains on the machines (in the gym) appear to be very dry / not quite straight (like a worn chain on a bike). Wonder what effect this has on the machine’s (and the user’s) efficiency?
186cm/c. 86kg
Davidba

Post by Davidba »

Update - I continued to row for a number of weeks after my last post but with work and family, late trips to the gym were not going to be viable long term. Haven't done a 2k test since and have been either running or cross training steadily. Used pay and go gym last week for a few rowing sessions (30-45 mins 1.57-2.00). All change now as have my own Model D arriving on Mon/Tues!
186cm/c. 86kg
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Well congratulations! Exciting news!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Davidba

Post by Davidba »

CamiCrew wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:25 pm Well congratulations! Exciting news!
6.55 tonight. First test on my own machine. Pleased to go sub 7. Have just been doin steady 30min rows since I got my machine. Df 135, 30 spm, 171 bpm av. Paced as follows;

1.45.3 30 spm
1.45.9 29 spm
1.44.3 29 spm
1.39.6 33 spm

Now i will start training as per the terry o neill guide and see what i can manage.
186cm/c. 86kg
Tako

Post by Tako »

Wow! Great times!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
RdGkA

Post by RdGkA »

Congrats to your Sub7!
♂ - 1971 - 6"8" - 103kg

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Very impressive, congrats David
6'6" 1971
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Very impressive David. Sub 7 after just over 3 months on the erg is phenomenal! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Davidba

Post by Davidba »

I've been fairly consistent with training since my last post, missing a little time on the erg due to a virus and a pulled intercostal muscle. Off on holidays for a week on sat so will just run or something! Tried a 5x1500 m tonight and managed averages of 1.43.6 and 1.42.6 for the final 2 (1.44.9 overall av). That was encouraging as I am hoping to get 6.50 the next time I test in about a months time.
186cm/c. 86kg