LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

Post by Jessica-Red »

What do we think about starting a LADIES thread ??
as I seem to be the lady who talks the most on here LOL I thought Id ask
as although its lovely talking to you gentlemen -sometimes it would be nice to have the support of other FS ladies-

anyone out there interested?
:D
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Yes.

I like easy questions like that! :D

Harder question - after two months down how do I get going again......?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

JanetS wrote:Yes.

I like easy questions like that! :D

Harder question - after two months down how do I get going again......?
http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/c ... adness.asp

Just 5K a day Janet. ~ 25-30 minutes of rhythmic movement. :lol:
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

thanks for the reminder

Post by commodoreann »

I think a ladies thread would be great.

By looking at the "ladies thread" I was reminded we are in the March challenge from Concept2.

Just by coincident I wore my 2005 winter challenge tee shirt to orchestra rehersal this morning.

Perhaps we can have a womens challenge for a month?

Ann
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Great to hear from you ladies!

I just thought it's time we had a place of our own to swop tips or support each other- these FS gentlemen are great but I get a bit disconcerted by some of the speeds they pull and PBs they set whilst im still just plodding slowly along !!!

I may do big distances some weeks but Im finding the extra pounds Ive gained since last Autumn are getting me down and slowing me down! so Im back at Weight Watchers -I need to get back on track as my diabetic test result wasnt so great this time!

Now its time for me to go rowing at the gym so I wish you all well and chat again soon

Carole
Carole Sergeant
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

If I promise to wear my matching two piece with sling backs can I join you?
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
commodoreann

Post by commodoreann »

Jessica-Red, when you go to the gym, do you have to carry all the stuff I do?

I row at a "Y" and we have two rowers on the track and two in the cardio room. Every machine has it's own cardio tv screen but the rowers have nothing. I use a radio with headphones for motivation. They never clean the rowers and the lighting is dim. I clean the rowers every time I go but I have had enough. I bring my own fan, seat pad and water with me everytime I go.

We have a model C at home and have decided to buy another rower and leave the "Y". Less travel time and no shlepping. :shock:

I want to encourage all the women in Free Spirits to join this thread! We have a lot to talk about. :wink:

Ann

Hopefully your situation is better.
commodoreann

Post by commodoreann »

By the way you do not prod along, you are an inspiration to us all :D :fswink: :fsbgrin:
Bangers
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Bangers »

Gooner Neil wrote:If I promise to wear my matching two piece with sling backs can I join you?
You Essex boys are all the same :lol:
Now stop hijacking the ladies only thread and get back to where you belong.
Roger B
M 81, 5'8", 74kg
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Gooner Neil in drag

now theres something to think about LOL

does yr wife know abt yr dressing up habits Neil!?

:P 8)
Carole Sergeant
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

commodoreann wrote:Jessica-Red, when you go to the gym, do you have to carry all the stuff I do?

I row at a "Y" and we have two rowers on the track and two in the cardio room. Every machine has it's own cardio tv screen but the rowers have nothing. I use a radio with headphones for motivation. They never clean the rowers and the lighting is dim. I clean the rowers every time I go but I have had enough. I bring my own fan, seat pad and water with me everytime I go.

We have a model C at home and have decided to buy another rower and leave the "Y". Less travel time and no shlepping. :shock:

I want to encourage all the women in Free Spirits to join this thread! We have a lot to talk about. :wink:

Ann

Hopefully your situation is better.
Ann, congratulations, (I think) on the purchase of your new rower. Now that you do not have to schlepp to the gym you can probably rack up an extra 3-5K a day and keep that nice 200,000+ meter pad between us :).

I have my own rower at home and it one of the best things I have purchased. There are many times where I have had a long day at work, and would not have gone to the gym to row. However, with the erg sitting in the middle of the room, I find I have no trouble rowing at least 10K at home no matter how tired I may be.

If you start rowing while watching TV, one "game" I play is "commericial power sprints". Most commericial breaks (at least for sporting events) are 2 minutes and I try to rack up ~ 400 meters or so during them. Enjoy!
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Thanks Anne for yr kind remarks abt my not plodding-

today I tried to go a little a harder even tho I was on a longish day and added some work on the cross trainer

ouch say my thighs and hips! :cry:

as for carting loads of stuff yes me too- bags /towels/Ipod nano for music/drinks & snacks/spare clothes /book for coffee break/phone etc etc etc

though I seem to have a nicer sounding gym where our 5 model Cs are in front of big glass wall to outside-but lighting is useless if its raining like today- a very dreary outlook

when its nice andd sunny it s more inspiring and on those days I walk down to town and back for a Costa coffee partway thru training-30 mins each way for added training effect-so long as I dont eat cake when I get there :lol:

I have considered thought of erg at home BUT I liike the social side of the gym as I live in a small village where its quiet all day and most of my friends are out working -unlike me the mature part-time student who hasnt worked for several yrs-if I ever finish my degree I will consider my options :D

YES I hope lots of FS Ladies will join us!
Carole Sergeant
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Right I'm taking off my make up and leaving this thread. Im glad actually these push up bras can cut you so and I forgot to shave my legs :roll:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P 8) :roll: :fsbgrin: :fswink:
Carole Sergeant
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Rita wrote:However, with the erg sitting in the middle of the room, I find I have no trouble rowing at least 10K at home no matter how tired I may be.
Gracious! 10K no matter what? I'm rowing almost always early in the morning. Seems like the only time I can make the time--between bootcamp and work. Then work, then home, then bed. Who has time for supper? Maybe the answer is as you say: rower in middle of room. I've got mine up in the guest room (Sorry family & friends, you'll have to stay at a hotel.)

And now I am stuck with the model C at the gym as my model B "broke" Saturday morning. Do any of the other ladies out there do their own maintenance? I'm fairly handy, so I do. Any tips for me (like how to keep my husband from trying to help)?
Cheers,
Kris
[giving up on PBs and SBs. Just Row.]
writeclimber

Post by writeclimber »

I'm definitely interested in a women's only thread as well. I train at the gym here in Chilliwack BC, most of the time with my hubby (extremeclimber). We're waiting on our very first concept2 to arrive, and our home climbing gym will be completed this week! :)

For me, this rowing thing is lots of fun. And I enjoy trying to best my past performances at varied rankings.

But, like you Jessica, I find that I get discouraged when i see these men with thier incredibly fast split times. I look at what I've been doing and think "sheesh, I'm a putz". And then my other half reminds me just how far I've come (where I couldn't sit on the erg for more than 5 mins without developing lower back pain).

So, hello Ladies! (and Neil, being in drag doesn't cut it... you'll have to go the whole nine yards <and even then, you still have unfair advantage hormone wise... so forget it!>)

Maude
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Good Morning ladies-its great to see more of us joining this thread- so it was a good idea of mine after all!

Maude we are fascinated to know exactly what this home climbing gym of yrs consists of-in my house the kids just used to clamber over the furniture and drive ME up the walls :lol: :lol:

but this must be more technical than that Im sure-is that right yr OH is connected with very adventurous pursuits?

and Kris please explain yr BOOTCAMP ??? what do you get up to there?

Happy Rowing To Us Ladies :D :D

yes and you Neil! :P
Carole Sergeant
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

I voted NO to this.
It's like when our local pool does 'Women only sessions' - Don't have a problem with that but I do have a problem with why they don't do a 'Man only session' to balance it out
Do we have a 'Man only' thread?
A womans meterboard?
Personally there is nothing I put in these forums that I don't want anyone not to read.

Jusr re-read this and I know it comes over as a bit of a rant it's not meant to be just my view, maybe not put best down but there you go.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

ooooh Shrek you big bully :D

Just cos you can't wear your two piece whilst swimming with the others shouldn't bring out such a rant.

If the ladies have specific areas they wish to discuss then so what?

I started the LWT thread only cos you big boys can be a bit intimidating at times :wink: However on a serious note fellow ladies or LWTs or whatevers may have info they can share with their group which is more targetted. I realise the principles are the same for all of us (reduced splits greater power etc etc) but sometimes a message from a similar rower can be more powerful/supportive etc.

I will speak to Princess Fiona and have your wedding rights removed for a week you misogynist :D
extremeclimber
Free Spirit

Post by extremeclimber »

I know I am new here, but I thought I would put in my two cents as well ...
I personally think that this is a great idea - the main point of the forum is to encourage rowing, right?
In matters of fitness and training, women and men both train differently and have different motivational needs. Our local gym provides a section that is for women only, and I personally think this is a necessary componant to any fitness facility.
If a section in the forum focusing on the ladies is what they need and want to encourage better rowing and fitness lifestyles, then by all means - go for it!
Paul
Laititia Par Dolerum

PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

All for it

Post by PSims »

For what it's worth being a man (when I last looked).

Women's only thread - great!
Why not have a Women's sub-Meterboard?
We tried with women's only challenges on ELM last year but it fizzled out - didn;t have so many ladies then. How about an ELM FS Ladies only LEAGUE - you set your own challenges.

Ultimately, as long as everything we all do count toward the grand FS total, no worries!!

And Gooner - don't you find the seams on the fishnet tights hurt the soles of your feet when you are in high heels? :oops:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

ExDragon

Post by ExDragon »

I like the idea of having a thread 'for ladies' which can be contributed to by all rather than 'ladies only' as such.

Some of the chaps on here are pulling times on a bad day - that I could only dream of on a good day! So a thread where we can ask questions and get support from 'ladies in the same boat' (pardon the pun!) will be great but also a thread where the guys can feel they can contribute to help support the ladies would be good too. (Bearing in mind that sometimes raging hormones mean that we could probably throw the erg further than we could row it!!)

I personally like the mixed metre board - I am having a battle with Przemek Krokos which is keeping me (and him) on our toes - one of us goes ahead and then the other. It has been like that for a couple of weeks and it is great motivation. (And sometimes I let him catch up with me so that the battle continues!! :wink:)

Paula
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I don't mind ladies only - as long as I can watch. :shock:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
big dave k
Rower and forum addict...

Post by big dave k »

You go girls!! (in best camp american accent)

i can see where you're coming from with the difference in times. it's all the same in relation, but i can imagine it's slightly galling to be about to post a pb to see some big mean bloke has done it as a warm up. i suppose we cheated with the whole hormones and height thing, but i can only apologise for that!! :wink:

besides, ladies rowing tends to be slightly different to men's, and a separate thread should help you ladies to go even quicker. though if you start catching us up, the thread get's pulled. deal?!
Dave

19, 6'8", 93kg

redshell
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Great idea but I don't get on the forum too often these days......having a quick ten minutes now!
But count me in...and Webberg, you can watch :)