Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Injuries.....:(

Post by Paul Victory »

I feel your pain Claudius. My shoulder injury in January was due to a fall after having consumed copious amounts of wine. In my case, my wife was the only witness, but embarrassing nonetheless. Hopefully, you'll be back to full fitness in a couple of months.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

I always hate to visit this thread. :cry:

Here's to a smooth recovery, Claudius!
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Oh no Claudius that sounds seriously unpleasant. I'm glad it wasn't even worse than that. Is it the same as having an Achilles tear? Painful all around. Best wishes during your recovery time.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
mark88man
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by mark88man »

quick recovery Claudius - my own worst muscle wrench was by a pool in Tenerife, but nothing fractured so that was bad luck for you

Thanks to all for the additional suggestions for my wrist.
Mark, 52, 1.90m, was 125kg (on 12/1/2015), now 110kg having been briefly at 99kg in 2016
Used to be this good (2007/8 Seasons)
Am now this good - (2017 Season)
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Ouch, that's painful just reading it, let alone experiencing it! :shock: Good luck with a speedy recovery! :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

MacFan
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by MacFan »

Must unfortunately take a break , because of a very painful rib injury . :cry:
Guenther [46y - 184cm - 89-91kg] rowing since 01/14 with interruptions due to injury
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Sorry to hear that Guenther. I think rest (and time) is the only cure for that. Look after yourself and take it easy until you're fully recovered.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Rib injury (intercostal maybe?). If so, they ARE very painful and a good 3 weeks of being careful to repair and taking it easy on the way back in. HEaling vibes being sent to all those currently laid up with injuries.
I finally went to the docs about my elbow and she confirmed my self-diagnosed tennis elbow and printed off some info from the internet for exercises to do twice a day. I can manage with it and it doesn't stop me rowing but I have to "work around it" at the finish position which doesn't help with a smooth stroke - but keeps me in the game. It's been about 3 months now so getting a bit tiresome
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Dave - how is your elbow getting on?

About 12 days ago I felt a slight pull in my left adductor (inside left thigh) while doing leg presses. Then I felt it again while doing lunges. So I stopped my workout. 2 days later I felt some soreness (unrelated) inside my right elbow (golfer's elbow). I had felt it before, but it had not gone away and was worse after my CTC 10k.

So I took the week off. :cry:

Yesterday's lower body weight session went well. I reduced the weights 2 notches, and I'm slowly building again.

Today's upper body weight session went okay... except for my elbow. A very slight soreness... not enough to ice or take ibuprofen, but enough to let me know that it's there. I'm slightly anxious about it, as I can't decide whether mild exercise would be better or inactivity. :-k

I mostly row strapless, and as near as I can tell...

Lately I have been adding a couple of sprints into my warmup routine -- just 30 seconds of hard pulling, then back to my warmup. But if I don't want to fall off the back or the erg at 30 spm, I have to pull hard with my arms at the finish. I think when I pull hard my form goes South and I end up pulling toward my upper chest and flexing my wrists. This puts a lot of strain on the tendons on the inside of my elbow. (To be honest, the injury could have occurred during bicep curls if I let my wrists flex -- same stress on the inner elbow).

So today's warmup had no sprints. I was very conscious of my arm and wrist position (frequently watching in the mirror). And I skipped the bicep curls for my right arm.

My elbow is a little sore. Tomorrow is a day off. Right now my plan is to continue to exercise lightly for the next few weeks and see if the elbow gets better, stays the same, or gets worse. Won't be able to help the team out much with the CTC or the IRL this month. :oops:

Frustrating.

Cheers,
zoot
plummy

Post by plummy »

My elbow is about 90~95% OK now- thanks for asking. There's not much aggravates it now but then again, I haven't done anything sprinty for weeks and I think that is what set it off! My problem right now is a head cold that started 2 days ago - hardly an injury but still not helping with the FTC coming to a close and us looking like losing third place to the Ancients in the finishing straight.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

A speedy recovery to our two "elbow patients"! :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Grobi wrote:A speedy recovery to our two "elbow patients"! :fswink:
Isn't Stan having trouble with his elbow, too? I can't remember. :oops:
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Zoot if you rested up the elbow right away, that's the good thing. So it doesn't set in.

I did proactive icing on my elbow last year knowing I would be doing high volume erging in Nov. Seemed to ward off problems.

My other favorite recommendation is go get a massage at a chiropractor, ask them to work on the shoulder, arm, wrist. Your elbow will thank you! (I also had ultrasound on the elbow, but that was at the point where it felt the worst, year before last I think.)
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Davedcm
Warming up

Post by Davedcm »

I am currently returning to rowing after what I suppose is an injury. After rowing up to 70k a week and reaching well up the world rankings for HM (8th), a couple of seasons ago, I continued rowing on a regular basis until June of this year. I then caught a bug which turned into a chest infection. After a course of strong antibiotics I was recovering and taking it easy when I had a pain. I recognised it and called an ambulance. A month later I was discharged from hospital after a quadruple bypass operation. Apparently I had been exercising at a high level for several years with four blocked arteries! However, the good news is that it was my training that saved me as it had apparently enlarged the minor arteries which were able to cope for some time. The cardiologists can think of no other reason why I could have continued for all this time. I am now back to some rowing at a rate slow enough to drive me crazy, but never the less enjoying it immensely. I look forward to the day I can return to the rankings and train like I used to (which I am assured that I can).
Davedcm 75 yrs 82k
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

zootMutant wrote:
Grobi wrote:A speedy recovery to our two "elbow patients"! :fswink:
Isn't Stan having trouble with his elbow, too? I can't remember. :oops:
He had, but I think they are over now?

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Davedcm wrote:A month later I was discharged from hospital after a quadruple bypass operation. Apparently I had been exercising at a high level for several years with four blocked arteries! However, the good news is that it was my training that saved me as it had apparently enlarged the minor arteries which were able to cope for some time.
A very scary story. :shock: Welcome back! :fsbgrin:
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Nothing as serious or scary as Dave's story. I managed to do something terrible to my knee and in the most humiliating way possible. While I was taking off my pants on Thursday night. I bent my knee to get my leg out of the pants and felt something go pop. This was followed by a shooting pain and an inability to bear any weight.

Since then, it has been the weirdest injury I've ever had. It will be pain free for hours and I can walk around and be totally normal, but then something will set it off and I will be incapacitated again. I have no idea what is wrong in there, but I think I will have to get it looked at.

It is impacting my ability to do half Marathons.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Bummer Greg. Possible that you tore the meniscus. Get it scanned sooner not later.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Sorry to hear about that, Greg. Hoping for a speedy recovery!
plummy

Post by plummy »

I think the fact that you can walk around normally for a lot of the time should give you some reassurance (although waiting for the next "episode" must be somewhat disconcerting). Hoping a visit to the doc/physio will identify something and prescribe the necessary remedy (may some FMs!!)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I'm feeling pretty depressed. Kind of listless. I'll try to get a diagnosis next week, but I already miss working out.
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

quick update. I saw the orthopedist Tuesday morning. With some bending and flexing, pocking and prodding and a couple of xrays, he diagnosed me as having osteo-arthritis. In addition to that, there may be a tear or debris in the joint which could cause the intermittent locking, clicking and pain. He recommended a cortisone shot for the knee, which I agreed to. He drew about 5ccs of what he called arthritic fluid out of the joint, and then pumped in the cortisone.

He said there were two potential ways to proceed. First would be to just see how well I did with the cortisone. The second would be to do an MRI to see if there are other mechanical problems with the knee beyond the arthritis. He favored the first approach, but I did not. Since the knee was basically pain free until last week, and much worse, I strongly suspect that there is something wrong in there. He agreed, reluctantly. He explained that surgical intervention to do things like fixing a meniscus or clean out debris is more risky if the knee has arthritis. There is a 5% chance things could get worse (and a 60% chance they will get better).

In any case, I prefer to know what the full story is so that I can figure out a course of action, so I went for the MRI last night. I get the results on Friday.

The cortisone has made a big difference. I was back on the erg for the first time in a week today (see the CTC thread).
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Wow! Sounds horrible Greg, but hopefully everything will get sorted. Look after yourself and I'm hoping to hear about a clean bill of health in the not too distant future.

Paul V
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Maybe I made it sound a bit too dramatic. Yes, it's a problem and either I can get it fixed, or I'll figure out how to adjust to it. There are so many people that are dealing with much more difficult health issues than this.
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Diagnosis has turned out to be a tear in the meniscus cartilage. Arthroscopic surgery probably in sometime in December. I'm actually feeling hopeful, since the alternative would be living with how it is now and trying to figure out how to limit the range of motion to avoid causing more damage.