Cultural Differences

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Cultural Differences

Post by zootMutant »

A place to explore other cultures inhabited by Free Spirits... :fsbgrin:

===================================

Do grocery stores in the UK glue stickers on fruits and vegetables so the cashiers will know what they are?

Or is this just a weird US thing? (Or perhaps just southern CA?) :?:
Last edited by zootMutant on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zootMutant

Re: Cultural Differences

Post by zootMutant »

I was listening to a BBC dramatization of "Three Men in a Boat", and there was a scene where the three adventurers detour into a pub for a pint. Everyone in the pub is singing and drinking.

Do they still do this in the UK? Or do people just watch sports on TV? Did they ever do this? :?:
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

No stickers on the actual fruit and veg, but there will be labels on the shelves.

Singing in pubs.. it certainly used to be more common. I've done it many times, and I'm sure Paul has. But being part of a rugby team helps :-)
Not something that happens on a regular occurrence any more though.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Whenever we go to Cornwall we always manage to find a pub where there is a singalong.

One guy was even playing the spoons at a pub just outside St Austell (wonderful beer ! ) and I think I remember singing Danny Boy a little TOO loudly :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Singing in pubs used to be quite common in Ireland, but you don't see it very often in Dublin these days. There are a number of karaoke bars and bars with live music where members of the audience are not discouraged from singing along with the music, but the days of general sing songs seem to have passed. It probably still happens in holiday towns and in some parts of the country.

Unfortunately, sport on TV seems to have taken over as the preferred entertainment.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Zoot if you've gone to the Cajun restaurant in Santa Barbara (Cajun Palace?), they stop the meal and give the entire restaurant sheet music. What a Wonderful World, usually. Then everyone in drinks and toasts, wait staff included. There's something magical about that, brings everyone out of their separate worlds.

Today a friend brought me her suggestions of things to see in England. One event was the Badminton Horse Trials. Wow! Unfortunately we'll be in London and not the right location, but that would have been a sight. (Another friend asked "do the horses play badminton?" :lol: )

I am still trying to figure out what "pull some wellie on it" means... I get the idea, but I thought Wellies were boots :?: :? :D
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks everyone, for your comments!

I mentioned a possible trip to the UK for Madchester next year, and my wife immediately rattled off a dozen things she wants to see... from a tour of archaeology sites in the Outer Hebrides... to Western Ireland... to staying in one of the bungalows in Wales that Matt rents (if he still does that)... to boating on the Thames... to... I can't remember what all. :lol:
CamiCrew wrote:Zoot if you've gone to the Cajun restaurant in Santa Barbara (Cajun Palace?), they stop the meal and give the entire restaurant sheet music. What a Wonderful World, usually. Then everyone in drinks and toasts, wait staff included. There's something magical about that, brings everyone out of their separate worlds.
The Palace Grill? Cajun-Creole? About 1 block from Dargan's on E. Cota? We've eaten there a couple of times, but I don't remember any singing. Do they sing for birthdays? Or just any old time? I'd like to be there for that!
CamiCrew wrote: (Another friend asked "do the horses play badminton?" :lol: )
I hate to admit it, but that's the first thought that came to my mind. :oops:
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Patrick Kidd, writes a column for The Times Newspaper, called TMS ( Times Diary ) - anecdotes, provided by himself or readers.

An ongoing theme at the moment, is ‘ Historical Offences ‘, examples of misunderstandings, allegedly committed by your good selves and sent in by Times readers.

I quote:

A couple more American jokes, since they remain popular. Gordon Elliot recalled an American visiting the church of St John the Baptist in Burford, Oxfordshire, and asking: “ Is St John the Baptist buried here or did he just visit? “ :shock: :fsbgrin: :fswink:

And David Sanders sent a story about when he was a tour guide in Durham and showed a group of tourists the site of the 1346 battle of Neville’s Cross, which is now beside the A167. “ The Scots were stopped here. “ he said. “ I’m not surprised, “ an American said. “ It’s a real busy road. “ :shock: :fsbgrin: :fswink:
zootMutant wrote:CamiCrew wrote:
(Another friend asked "do the horses play badminton?" )

I hate to admit it, but that's the first thought that came to my mind.
Might be tempted to send this one in - Hysterical Offences perhaps … :lol: :wink:

Feel free to retaliate. :fsbgrin:
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Those are great, Jill! :lol:

That reminds me of my favourite 'Knock, knock' joke... which conveniently falls under the subject of this thread.

When I was 14 we had a German exchange student live with us for a year. He was a senior in high school and spoke English very well (7 years of English!), but humour and colloquial expressions are always the last pieces to fall into place.

One day Bernd and I were eating breakfast and my younger brother, who was 7, walked into the kitchen and said, "Knock, knock, Bernd".

Bernd looked up with surprise and said, "Pardon?"

My younger brother said, "Knock, knock, Bernd. It's a joke."

Bernd stared thoughtfully at him for a moment and then said, "I don't get it."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill you will have a plethora of Offences after we visit...... :oops: I am very good at saying ridiculous things without thinking them through. You might want to bring a notebook.

Good story, Zoot.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

CamiCrew wrote:Jill you will have a plethora of Offences after we visit...... :oops: I am very good at saying ridiculous things without thinking them through. You might want to bring a notebook.
...oooh - looking forward to your visit even more now :wink:

Apparently one American lady tourist at Windsor Castle (just outside London) was annoyed at the noise of aircraft overhead and was heard to ask "why on earth they built it so close to Heathrow airport"... #-o
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Jill

Post by Jill »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you Zoot and Plummy.
CamiCrew wrote:Jill you will have a plethora of Offences after we visit...... I am very good at saying ridiculous things without thinking them through. You might want to bring a notebook.
Barbara, for someone who has been doing a grand job of aiding and abetting me with The Pink Star Heist , I would say that enjoying a sense of the ridiculous was more in your line and I suspect that this might also apply to Sheena … :fsbgrin:

On the occasions when we have chatted with American tourists, they have always been very friendly, intelligent, well mannered and curious, which is more than can be said for some of my fellow countrymen when they are abroad … :roll: :(

Of course it goes without saying that you all have a great sense of humour, so here is today’s offering from Patrick Kidd: :)

“ When I was teaching in Uxbridge, “ says Daloni Peel, " the head began an assembly on the missionary journeys of St Paul by asking the children if any of them had been abroad. Not getting much response, he pounced on an American boy who had just joined the school and said: ‘Come on, Ivan, you’ve been abroad at least’, to which the terrified lad replied: ’No, sir, I’ve always been a fella’ . “ :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Time to even things up a bit …

About 20 years ago, we were visiting Woodstock, a Georgian market town in Oxfordshire - not far from Blenheim Palace.

After looking around, I said to Richard, “ I wonder where they held the famous music festival? “ :oops: #-o
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

You can even come across cultural differences when sitting in an airplane. Be careful when choosing your airline!

Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

:lol: That's very funny, Peter.

Sheena - miraculously, our embarrassing stories were erased. =D>

I am, however, planning to use your line while hanging out in boats in London. :wink:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

CamiCrew wrote: Sheena - miraculously, our embarrassing stories were erased. =D>
..but not forgotten : Coppertone/nose/squirt :wink: :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

plummy wrote:
CamiCrew wrote: Sheena - miraculously, our embarrassing stories were erased. =D>
..but not forgotten : Coppertone/nose/squirt :wink: :D
Plummy, I've no idea to what you are referring, I'm sure Barbara would never squirt Coppertone up her nose :lol:

Barbara that 24 hour glitch has saved us, best deny all knowledge.
Enjoy your boating on the Thames :D
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Sheena wrote:
plummy wrote:
CamiCrew wrote:Enjoy your boating on the Thames :D
Where's that?

:wink:
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Ron we are going to try our best not to say Thaymes. [-X

At least Jill's Woodstock moment was preserved. Festivals are in. \:D/

The 'alleged' Coppertone incident, much like the flaming marshmallow, does not really qualify for this thread.

My fellow American exchange student in Paris, however, does. She told our hostess, in discussing allergies, that we have "preservatifs" in our food in America. Which to them, means condoms. The look on the Parisian grandmother's face was priceless. :shock: You have... preservatifs... in your food... ?! :lol:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:My fellow American exchange student in Paris, however, does. She told our hostess, in discussing allergies, that we have "preservatifs" in our food in America. Which to them, means condoms. The look on the Parisian grandmother's face was priceless. You have... preservatifs... in your food... ?!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Barbara, Richard has just asked me why I'm giggling ... After being married to this young innocent for nearly 40 years, I've now had to explain to him about the ' birds and the bees ' ... :oops: :lol: :wink:

Sheena and Barbara, in the true spirit of ' The Sisterhood ', when we meet at Madchester, I'll not mention any well known English rivers, ( always was hopeless at geography ) :roll: :lol: :wink: or the latest American craze, ( which will soon be crossing the ' pond ' ) ladies who have developed a ' suntan lotion habit '. [-X :lol: :wink:

On the subject of misunderstandings, if I remember, I'll tell you both the tale of me, an elderly couple, and two stick insects called Mick and Nick.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill some moments of Madchester are a blur ... e.g., certain activities not to be mentioned in the sanctuary :-$ ... and some time spent in the dotty room because I couldn't hear over all the dotty laughter :lol:

... but I don't think we got the story of Mick & Nick? You'll need to remind me :D

Ps Zoot I gathered you some notable cultural differences as research, will need to process

Pps Seems I missed my chance to post (and magically have erased) my embarrassing Historical Offence as Thomas' upgrade seems to be holding [-X :lol:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

CamiCrew wrote:
... but I don't think we got the story of Mick & Nick? You'll need to remind me :D
Jill, I hope we don't have to wait until the next Madchester for this story :)
CamiCrew wrote:
Pps Seems I missed my chance to post (and magically have erased) my embarrassing Historical Offence as Thomas' upgrade seems to be holding [-X :lol:
Spill the beans Barbara, we may have to play a round robin of dotty moments
Jill

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:Jill some moments of Madchester are a blur ... e.g., certain activities not to be mentioned in the sanctuary ... and some time spent in the dotty room because I couldn't hear over all the dotty laughter

... but I don't think we got the story of Mick & Nick? You'll need to remind me
Sheena wrote: Jill, I hope we don't have to wait until the next Madchester for this story
I had forgotten about this, although in fairness, there were quite a few laughter fuelled distractions ... Sheena, just one that comes to mind, is of someone close to you, showing me a picture on their mobile phone of a little pink plastic flamingo, sitting on top of a sugary doughnut. This was choice ' giggle material ' ... Did this someone close to you suddenly think, " Mmmmm ... :-k Let's Google ' Little pink plastic flamingo, sitting on top of a sugary doughnut ' and see what comes up :?: " :lol: :wink:

I'll see what I can put together. :)
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

That picture is great isn't it, there's actually a Flamingo a day website :lol: :lol:

Just search for it and see what comes up, the foodie ones look best [-X
Jill

Post by Jill »

Sheena wrote:That picture is great isn't it, there's actually a Flamingo a day website

Just search for it and see what comes up, the foodie ones look best
Thank you Sheena :D - I never realised that pink flamingoes were so popular - perhaps Dietske Klepper is a distant relative or perhaps I might have some Dutch ancestry … :lol: :wink:

The Mick and Nick episode happened about 25 years ago, not long after we moved from Guisely to our present home here in Doncaster. Looking back, it will probably always qualify as my ‘ Mother of Misunderstandings ‘.

Whilst on a visit to some friends in Guisely, their nine year old daughter persuaded me to ‘ adopt ‘ two stick insects - she had grown rather bored wth them and immediately ‘ pounced ‘ when I said I thought them rather endearing.

I christened my boys Mick and Nick - they came with a tank and very specific care instructions:

Their tank had to be cleaned out everyday.
They must only be fed dark green privet - on no account were they to be given any other variety or any other type of leaf.
They must not be given any water - everything that they needed came from the privet leaves.

We didn’t have any privet hedges but I found a property close by that did - it was surrounded by a 5’ wall and about 1’ of privet protruded from the top. It also had the advantage of being a bungalow - so my furtive, privet nicking activities couldn’t be seen by anyone living in the property. :oops: [-X

One day, I was reaching up to pick a large sprig of privet - I already had a few in my hand, when an elderly couple came around the corner and the man who was quite tall, said, “ Are you alright, do you want any help? “ and I said, “ Thank you but I’m okay. “

There was a bit of an awkward silence - the couple were giving me and the privet some curious looks … Not wanting to admit that I kept stick insects as pets, I said, “ My son has stick insects. “

The lady said, “ Please forgive us dear, but would you mind speaking up, as we are both rather hard of hearing these days. “

I then proceeded to explain in great detail everything about Mick and Nick’s care - at one point, the lady, looking at me very strangely, said in a worried voice, “ No water? “ and I said, “ Definitely no water, just green privet. “

By this time, the couple were staring at me in a very alarmed manner.

“ I’m sorry dear, “ said the lady, “ but what disease did you say your son had? “

:shock:

After that, it was a wonder that we could speak as we were in fits of laughter - the couple saying something along the lines of, “ What must you think of us? “ and me saying, “ What must you have thought of me? “ The man was leaning on his walking stick and laughing so much that I thought he might fall over.
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

Jill wrote: One day, I was reaching up to pick a large sprig of privet - I already had a few in my hand, when an elderly couple came around the corner and the man who was quite tall, said, “ Are you alright, do you want any help? “ and I said, “ Thank you but I’m okay. “
:lol: :lol: The Great Privet Robber - Caught in the act! :oops:
Jill wrote: The man was leaning on his walking stick and laughing so much that I thought he might fall over.
You could've made the breaking news story, "Elderly Gentleman in ICU following confrontation with Privet robber" :wink:

Now, I may be persuaded to tell the story of one frosty morning on the early train to London when I gave away someone else's overcoat :shock: