Beginner - Heart rate question

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

gc_580j
Warming up

Beginner - Heart rate question

Post by gc_580j »

Hello All,

A little bit about myself: i'm 40, 6'-0", 182 lbs, I've been lifting weights regularly for the last few years, and put on a bit of muscle, but rarely did any type of cardio. I thought it would be a good idea to focus on that for a while, so a few weeks ago I decided I was going to conquer the rowing machine.

I started at 2000m, 3-4x a week and i've been building up to start the Pete Plan beginner program. This week I'm up to 4000m a session. Every session I feel like it is getting easier. One thing for sure, I'm really enjoying it, it's a great workout. Today's numbers: 4000m 18:29.2, 2:18.6/500m 20-22 SPM.

I bought a HRM to keep track of myself. My resting HR is 52, my max (so far, I hit it today) is 184.

As you can see from today's workout, I'm staying in the high range (165-175) for the majority of the time. While I recognize that at that high heart rate, I don't have much left in the tank to push harder, I do manage a little sprint at the end. While I'm working hard, I don't feel like my heart is beating out of my chest or I'm going to puke at that rate.

When I start rowing, my heart rate just jumps up to that level, I try to slow down so my heart rate will slow down, but it just stays there.

So my question: am i going to die? i mean i'm obviously out of cardio shape, but with continued rowing, this should come down, right? Intervals would help bring it lower?
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Beginner - Heart rate question

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi and welcome to Free Spirits. To answer your most important question first - no, you are not going to drop dead on the erg just because your heart rate is a bit on the high side.

From the graph you sent, it is climbing quite rapidly, which suggests you are starting off at a pace that you are struggling to maintain. If so, it might be better to start off more slowly and gradually speed up if you are feeling OK.

There are others on here who are much more scientific in answering this type of question and will probably give you a more detailed (and probably a lot more useful) answer.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
gc_580j
Warming up

Re: Beginner - Heart rate question

Post by gc_580j »

Thanks for the response, Paul. The only real ill effects I'm seeing right now is some lactic acid burn in my lower back for the last 5 min or so. I'll see if I can start off slower but looking at my splits, they all tend to be about the same.