Divided by a common language?

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Kodi

Post by Kodi »

Stan wrote:Kodi
Welcome to free spirits. Any time you row will be more than welcome for CTC and you will have nothing to be ashamed of. As Michelle said - more boats more points so you will be making a contribution. Feel free to start taking the mickey out of us whenever you want :lol:
Thanks, Stan.

Actually, I'm starting to believe that my BIGGEST challange is trying to understand what I thought was my native language! :shock:

"Geezer" doesn't mean "geezer".
"Learned" is spelled "learnt"; "program" is spelled "programme"
"Center" and "Theater" have the last two letters reversed
Also, you Brits have an aversion to the letter "z", it would seem ("realization"...no "Z"??)

I was trying to read a person's driving directions:

"Stay to the right" (which, of course, means the left - correct? - since you drive on the "wrong" side of the road). "Right hand lane of the slip road". Slip? I really would prefer not to drive on anything called a "slip".

And..."taking the mickey out of us"??? :? "Mickey"?? Mickey Mouse? :? :? :?

Erging might be the least of my worries as a member of the "Free Spirits"!! ;) ;)
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Please dont get me started on the differences between American and English spelling of ENGLISH words :lol:
pb times
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Stan wrote:Please dont get me started on the differences between American and English spelling of ENGLISH words :lol:
Ah, but how will you know? Fall (Autumn) is actually an English word that the Americans kindly preserve for us - it fell out of use over here a couple of hundred years ago. So who is right on that one :?:
Last edited by Thomas W-P on Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Differences

Post by PSims »

I have to say, surprising as it may sound (me being a Brit), but some of the American words are more appropriate than ours, e.g.

Whe we go to a public toilet and slide the bolt across, it says "Engaged".
Americans say "Occupied"....which is far more appropriate. You aren't planning to get married every time you go for a ....

Americans say "Resume" we say "Curriculum Vitae" whatever the hell that means.

We say "Queue", Americans say "Line" - which describes what you are doing.

But then when we say World Tournament - we mean the whole world - not just the USA!

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons (I'm going to regret using that phrase too).

Having said that, every time I have been to America, no-one understands me unless I write it down!!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

The USA. Have been fortunate to visit 4 times. First when I was 11. 1st night in a restaurant and the differnces in language nearly led to an unfortunate incident. Needed the toilet so asked the waitress 'wheres the toilet?' She looked at me and smiled and walked away. Now I really did need the toilet so I walked over to her and her friend and repeated my request. She stood, said nothing and then handed me a large bundle of napkins.

Not knowing if this was a local custom for relieving the issue or not I returned to my parents now busting for the toilet. Although a substantial bundle and good quality I feard the absorption rate of said napkins would not suffice. It took the intervention of a concerned mum and some passing tourists to rescue the situation.

So although Paul mentions their correct use/more approriate use of words can I remind him in certain mens toilets the word engaged is very apt!
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Once worked in a bar and gave an American cousin Bacardi and soda when he wanted Bacardi and Coke.

If he wanted Coke why call it soda?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904