10k Session

If you are planning a RowPro session or want to get one going, post here.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

cowboygrrl
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

10k Session

Post by cowboygrrl »

Doing my first ever 10k June 28, 17:00 on RP. My pace; about 2:40. Hope to see you there or spread the word. It'd be nice to see some fellow FS.
Last edited by cowboygrrl on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: 10k Session

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Kellie. I'll try to get Row Pro set up for this. Just to clarify, that's 17:00 GMT, 1800 BST. Is that correct?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Paul Victory wrote:Hi Kellie. I'll try to get Row Pro set up for this. Just to clarify, that's 17:00 GMT, 1800 BST. Is that correct?
I believe so. Here's my thinking: I know BST=British summer time, right? And it's an hour forward move, right? GMT does not move an hour forward, but stays constant. That means GMT is 7 hrs. ahead of me. Right? I scheduled the row at 17:00 GMT. I believe that means 10:00 for me in California. If my thinking's wrong, let me know but this is what I'm going with now.

And Paul, I really appreciate your effort with RP. I read some of your earlier posts when you first got it-did not sound fun. Would be so great to have one of my heroes on this row.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Kellie. I'll do my best to be there.

You are correct in what you say about GMT. I think where problems can arise is when people this side of the pond (as they say) see 17:00 GMT, they forget that we are currently on BST and turn up an hour early.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Cross post from "Beginner's" thread:
I've scheduled a RowPro session for Sat. I've checked the box next to my row in Oarbits. I want to make sure I understand the check-in process. Come Sat., do I go to the Session List/Online and again select my row? Because when I look at the session list/online now, nothing shows. I'm assuming that's because the row to too far advanced in the week.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

cowboygrrl wrote:Cross post from "Beginner's" thread:
I've scheduled a RowPro session for Sat. I've checked the box next to my row in Oarbits. I want to make sure I understand the check-in process. Come Sat., do I go to the Session List/Online and again select my row? Because when I look at the session list/online now, nothing shows. I'm assuming that's because the row to too far advanced in the week.
That's right. You can only check in for on line rows you are registered for up to 30 minutes before the start.

Assuming that all works OK, you will probably get a "pop up" stating that "you are the starter..etc" and reminding you to wait for everyone to check in, look for anyone with a spinning flywheel (easy to spot on the screen) and wait for them all to be stationary. Everyone checking in has to click a box stating "Ready" and assuming everyone who registered has managed to turn up and get an internet connection, you are good to start.

If I remember correctly you will have a button that says "Prepare to Start" and the option to build in a short delay (this is in case you need to unstrap to work the PC buttons and need to re-strap in after etc). Once you've pressed "Prepare to Start" you then actually have to press "Start" again (this has caught me out once or twice and I've just sat there looking at a screen that wasn't changing!)

Don't panic about the time after hitting "Start" you have a good few seconds before anything happens. Watch your screen (both laptop and PM will mirror each other) and it will go through the usual "Prepare to Start", "Attention", "ROW" with a couple of seconds between.

If anyone jumps "ROW" it will be a false start. For a 10k no-one should be that eager!

A tip on lateness etiquette. There's always someone who's made a last minute decision to row the piece and often people have issues logging in and have to log out (withdraw) and re-join again. Everyone is usually happy to give them a couple of minutes to sort themselves out (the more the merrier :D ) - but once you get to 4~5 minutes you need to hit Start really and get the event under way.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Kellie

I don't know if I'll be able to make it for your RowPro debut om Saturday. My laptop is really acting up, with everything taking ages to load and nothing seems to work properly. I'm going to have to bring it in to my local computer repair shop to see if they can figure out what's wrong.

I'll let you know if I manage to get it fixed before Saturday.

Paul
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Paul Victory wrote:Hi Kellie

I don't know if I'll be able to make it for your RowPro debut om Saturday. My laptop is really acting up, with everything taking ages to load and nothing seems to work properly. I'm going to have to bring it in to my local computer repair shop to see if they can figure out what's wrong.

I'll let you know if I manage to get it fixed before Saturday.

Paul
Things are looking a bit more positive. I managed to remove a few programs and get my anti-virus software updated and my internet connection established (in the house only at this stage). I've opened RowPro and I've registered for Saturday's event. I haven't tried getting online out where the erg is yet, but that's my next objective. If I can establish a connection out there (maybe by using my iPhone as a relay), I'll try getting online tomorrow, either by joining an existing session or by setting one up myself. If that works, then game on for Saturday!

I have one question for the RowPro experts out there. As it's quite a while since I've used RowPro, there may well be updates that I should be installing. But I can't find anything in RowPro that tells me how to do this (maybe I'm not looking in the right place). Can anyone help, or should I just send an email to the people who run RowPro?
plummy

Post by plummy »

What version are you running?

This is the latest version ( I know of ):
ScreenHunter_09 Jun. 24 22.03.jpg
ScreenHunter_09 Jun. 24 22.03.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Dave. I'm using version 3:016. I went onto the download page on www.digitalrowing.com and the latest version seems to be 4.1. But the following note appears: Note: Use RowPro 3.016 for Windows Vista or XP.

I'm pretty sure my laptop is using Windows XP. It's turned off now and I'm not going to bother turning it on again until tomorrow. I'll check what version of windows I have when I turn it on.
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Thanks again, Paul, for all your effort. I hope everything works out for you, and hope to see you Sat. on that starting line

The latest version of RP is 4.1. But it does make a recommendation for Windows XP/Vista.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Good spot on the 4.1 version - I've updated mine now. 17:00 GMT is not a time I would normally be near a rower but I'll do what I can to join you so you have a team mate or two along side you.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I checked my operating system and it's Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1, Service Pack 3. I'm about to go and find out if I can get Rowpro to work. I'm going to update the firmware on my PM4 first.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

The saga continues. I can get a poor to fair connection in my gym by linking up to my home wifi network. I tried using my IPhone as a hotspot, but discovered that it disconnects from my home network when I do that. So using it will use up part of my monthly data allowance of 1 gb. It gets very expensive if I go over that limit.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm going to do a warm up row online and check afterwards how much data it used. The good news is that I am getting an excellent internet reception (or so my laptop tells me) by using the iPhone as a hotspot.

I'm waiting for my firmware to finish updating which is why I'm posting instead of rowing right now!
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Did my first two online sessions this morning. I started with an ad hoc 15 minutes warm up and set off on my own. I then decided that I would attempt a 30 min TT and I saw that there was one due to start on RowPro in less than 5 minutes. So I joined up David Stowe. He told me he was doing a recovery row and asked me what I had planned so I told him I wasn't really sure, but would probably start off hard and blow up.

I found it a bit strange to be honest as all I could see was my current pace and average pace, with the bottom half showing where I was relative to David. Also, for some reason my HRM wasn't registering, although it had done so for the previous 15 minutes. There must be something i was supposed to do for it to be picked up. As David was just doing a recovery row, our relative positions were a bit meaningless. I also lost a second or so at the start and it took almost a minute to get down to my target pace.

Anyway, I managed to keep the pace around 1:53 for the first half, but then began to slow down and the absence of a projected distance figure made it hard for me to stay terribly motivated. :roll: [-X I ended up doing 7833M @ 1:54.9, split 3985/3845. But that wasn't the point of the row. The good news is my connection stayed solid throughout the row and I only used about 8 mb in total between the two sessions, so I should easily be able to do Saturday's 10k without breaching my data limit.

Looking forward to joining you on Saturday, Kellie. :mrgreen:
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Wow I am really excited about this and looking forward to hearing how it goes with you guys :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

plummy wrote:Good spot on the 4.1 version - I've updated mine now. 17:00 GMT is not a time I would normally be near a rower but I'll do what I can to join you so you have a team mate or two along side you.
Would be great too see you there plummy!
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

About ready for my 10k on RowPro in 45 min. Seven people have signed up and I hope the session works out ok. My goal 55:00 or less; my hope is to break 53:00. I rowed 9500m last week so I should be OK. I guess this nervousness is doing it with other people. Anyways, I'll be able to post CTC time, I hope.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Kellie

I hope the session goes well. I'm really sorry I didn't make it to the start line. :oops: I did a warm up and then went onto RowPro. I saw that I was one of 12 people listed and clicked on the row. I kept waiting for the chat to come up and started to panic around 2 minutes to 6 when nothing came up. I tried to Skype plummy and then realised that I needed to quit out out the control centre and go into session set up. At this stage it was 3 minutes past 6 and I was too late to join the session. :evil: #-o

I'm going to do a quick row now to burn off some of this adrenalin and frustration. :evil: :evil: I'll check in afterwards to see how you got on.
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Thinking of you all as we head up through central to northern California! Three hours into the drive across some of my favorite landscape -- golden rolling hills dotted with dark green scrub oak. Much as I like it, missing the Digital River. Hope it is going well!! Cheers and congrats when you finish
:fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I don't want to steal Kellie's thunder, but I see on RowPro that she finished the 10k in 52:46.8 @ 2:38.3, almost 2 seconds per 500m ahead of target. Well done Kellie. =D> =D> =D> I'm gutted I wasn't there to cheer you on and I feel like such a klutz for forgetting what I was supposed to do. :oops: #-o

I actually did an SB for 30 minutes while you were doing the 10k. I was so full of adrenalin after my failed attempts to join in to your 10k that I started off too fast and I felt like HDing at several points, but there was no way I was going to allow that to happen while you were doing the 10k.

Kellie, I hope we'll get a chance to row together online in the not too distant future. And well done again. I just knew you were going to do a great 10k.

Paul V
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Paul Victory wrote:I don't want to steal Kellie's thunder, but I see on RowPro that she finished the 10k in 52:46.8 @ 2:38.3, almost 2 seconds per 500m ahead of target. Well done Kellie. =D> =D> =D> I'm gutted I wasn't there to cheer you on and I feel like such a klutz for forgetting what I was supposed to do. :oops: #-o

I actually did an SB for 30 minutes while you were doing the 10k. I was so full of adrenalin after my failed attempts to join in to your 10k that I started off too fast and I felt like HDing at several points, but there was no way I was going to allow that to happen while you were doing the 10k.

Kellie, I hope we'll get a chance to row together online in the not too distant future. And well done again. I just knew you were going to do a great 10k.

Paul V
Thanks, all, for your support. Paul, what can I say? I am so sorry you had difficulties and really missed rowing with you. I am so glad you pulled out a SB, and all wasn't for naught, as I know you planned your day around helping me. Yes, let's plan a session together.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for being so understanding, Kellie. And don't forget to update your signature to include your 10k time! :mrgreen:
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Are you working Monday through Friday Kellie? If so, then I guess the only days that would work for both of us are either a Saturday or a Sunday (unless you fancy doing a session before going to work :shock:).

I'm due to go to Portugal on Wednesday, July 9th, but there's a slight possibility I might go over earlier if I can change my outward flight without having to pay a fortune. But as things stand, I will be around next weekend, but not the following weekend. If either of those days suits you, let me know and one of us can put up a session on RowPro. I've no particular session that I'm dying to do, so I'm happy to fit in with whatever suits you. However, if it's on Saturday, I would need to be finished around 6:30 p.m. BST, 10:30 a.m. your time as we are having guests for dinner.

Please let me know what suits you.

Paul V
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Weird; this is the 3rd time I've responded to the post above (Paul) and it doesn't post. So, this is a trial post.