Tell us about your Holiday plans

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Peter_S
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Tell us about your Holiday plans

Post by Peter_S »

Wow!! Yours is so much bigger than ours. :shock:

But ours can get into more places. :lol:

Peter
seabourn LEGEND.jpg
seabourn LEGEND.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
C4S14F.jpg
C4S14F.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Phil Lamb
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Phil Lamb »

Peter_S wrote:Wow!! Yours is so much bigger than ours. :shock:

But ours can get into more places. :lol:

Peter
seabourn LEGEND.jpg
C4S14F.jpg
My caravan can get down some pretty narrow lanes!
61yrs 5ft 11ins 85kg
Peter_S
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by Peter_S »

Phil Lamb wrote:
My caravan can get down some pretty narrow lanes!
Sorry Phil, my apologies. I did not mean to ignore you or your caravan. (I can even translate "caravan" into American.) #-o

Which single malts do you favor?

Peter
Shang-Chi
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Shang-Chi »

No plans, just browsing to see what ever turns up! Maybe a cottage in the northwest of Denmark in a rented car. :D
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Just booked 10 nights on the biggest ship I've ever been on (not until next year though) - visiting the Canary Islands where I've never been
ScreenHunter_09 Jul. 06 10.17.jpg
ScreenHunter_09 Jul. 06 10.17.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 7320 times
Not the most elegant looking ship but the facilities look pretty astonishing - Anthem of the Seas
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
nervtoeter
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by nervtoeter »

It's here somebody cruise addicted :mrgreen:
I booked this week for next year AIDA Luna, first time on a German ship, usually I'm avoiding this.
2 weeks next year in September New York, Bahamas, Nassau, Florida etc.
We love cruising, to be every day in another city.

After this year caribbean sea cruise we will only visit Hamburg in late summer, a beautiful city.
Markus 44 83kg
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

This year our summer holiday plans have been disrupted by the children wanting to go without us - ingrates!

Our eldest is working in the US and tells us that even if we were to go over, he would not get time off.

Our daughter is going on a "cultural and community" project in Peru for the best part of 3 weeks. (Sounds like an extended teenage summer camp to me).

Our youngest has booked for various courses in sailing and the like.

So we're a bit stuck. We do have one week at the end of August to fill though so any suggestions welcome!! 8)

Couple of rules though - no cruise ships (proper boats have sails); no caravans (don't want to holiday in a mobile shed); no castles; no caravans; short haul flights ok; no caravans; no camping. Did I mention no caravans.

Have never been to Germany, Denmark, mainland Spain, on hols. Any ideas there?

If a week at home beckons (sleeping) then I shall be waiting to early February and Tignes.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm a bit biased (and very predictable), but I would suggest the Algarve as the perfect holiday destination. You say you have never been to mainland Spain. I have and I much prefer Portugal. OK, so that's my personal preference and not everyone will agree. But I find the people much more friendly in Portugal and the weather is more bearable - by that, I mean it can get quite hot (30 degrees centigrade plus), but there's usually a bit of a breeze in the evening instead of the dead heat that you can get in mainland Spain.

I know that Robert Snapper has an apartment in Lagos that he lets out for holiday rentals and he has a Model D available to people staying there. You could always try giving him a shout. Our own apartment is on a holiday complex in Alvor that has a gym on site (with a somewhat ancient but still serviceable Model C, but the apartment is fully booked until end September. I could check to see if any of the other apartments on site are available if you're interested. (Of course, I fully accept that having an erg on site may be a negative rather than a positive, depending on your perspective :roll: ).

Anyway, that's just my two cents worth. As luck with have it, I'm heading over to Alvor myself on Wednesday for a week and I will probably do some erging while I'm away, but I'm also looking forward to lots of nice meals out, plenty of wine, lots of karaoke and even some sunshine. :mrgreen:

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Weeks holiday booked in New York for beginning of October. Looking forward to it already :D
pb times
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Going to the US for the second half of October, starting in Boston (watching the Head of the Charles regatta), then Nantucket, New York, Orlando, Palm Beach and Miami. Really looking forward to this! :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Grobi wrote:Going to the US for the second half of October, starting in Boston (watching the Head of the Charles regatta), then Nantucket, New York, Orlando, Palm Beach and Miami. Really looking forward to this! :fswink:
Sounds like a great trip, Peter. Hope you have a super time.

I'm up to my usual boring stuff next week - off to Alvor for 7 days. Going this day week, back the following Thursday. Hope to do some erging most days I'm over there, assuming the Model C onsite is still operational. Also planning to go to the Portuguese Masters golf tournament in Vilamoura on at least one of the days. Maybe I'll be there to witness Padraig Harrington's long overdue return to the winner's enclosure. [-o<
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Have a great time Peter - you meeting up with anyone whilst over there (Emily in Boston?)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

Pity we will miss each other in New York Peter, hope you have a good time over there.
I am about to catch my train down to Heathrow for my flight tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting Ann and Peter while I am there. :D
pb times
StokieDan
Warming up

Post by StokieDan »

Just booked a suprise for littleone and the wife.

Disney florida 2015 (sept)
redshell
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Our Cyprus holiday is coming to an end :( but next month off to Croatia and Slovenia for a few days
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Dave, my stay in Boston is too short and too booked with other activities, hence I didn't plan to meet up with anyone.

Stan, you're righ, tough luck you'll already be leaving when I come to New York. Please say Hi to Ann and Peter when you meet them.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Annual ski trip due on 26/2.
Now I know I'm very fortunate to be able to do this every year, however there is a BUT!
The same group of us go each year and we can virtually go anywhere we would like.
So, we were very excited to have chosen Lake Tahoe in California this year.
Lovely location, and great skiing (normally).
There is deep snow in the alps this year, and even deeper stuff ALL across most of America.
But hardly any in the Tahoe area! :evil:
Bloody global weather patterns, moan, moan. What's going on!?
Not happy. :(
There was some last weekend, and a little is forecast, but the temp remains stubbornly high...
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy

Post by plummy »

Just back from 10 nights aboard a floating smorgasboard and just weighed myself - 74.5kg :D - still a LWT. Good job they had a couple of model E's aboard!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:Just back from 10 nights aboard a floating smorgasboard and just weighed myself - 74.5kg :D - still a LWT. Good job they had a couple of model E's aboard!!
Well done plummy. I think if I ever went on a cruise, they'd need a crane to lift me off the ship afterwards. :lol:

I'm heading off to Spain tomorrow for 6 days - 2 days in Benalmadena where friends of ours are on holidays, 1 day staying with other friends in their place in Marbella and 3 days at my niece's wedding in Ronda. I don't know if any of the places we will be staying in have an erg, but I'll bring my rowing gear just in case. :roll: :lol:

Paul V
Phil Lamb

Post by Phil Lamb »

Took the Eurostar from London to Marseille and then onto Nice to experience the train journey splendidly described by Micheal Portillo in a TV programme. Staying at the Hotel Le Negresco in Nice is an experience worth exposing yourself to, a two Michelin star restaurant with superb art throughout the hotel and exquisite rooms overlooking the English Promenade makes it very easy to enjoy oneself. A side benefit is that 'she who must be obeyed' quite enjoyed the surprise trip and I'm in credit on the brownie points scale... It won't last but it really was a tremendous week...
61yrs 5ft 11ins 85kg
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

That sounds great Phil, wonderful hotel.

Off on our first kiddie free summer holiday on Sunday, two weeks in Sicily.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Sounds like a great holiday Phil.

I hope you enjoy your child free holiday in Sicily. Jennifer went there a few years ago with her friends and loved it. If we didn't have our place in Portugal, it would definitely be on my list of places to visit.

We're just back from 6 days in Spain, including 3 days in Ronda for my niece's wedding. The wedding was fantastic in a wonderful setting and Ronda is spectacular. Far too much eating and drinking and late nights. There was a gym in the hotel but no erg, so I've done no rowing for the last 7 days in a row. :oops: #-o Got a fright when I stepped on the scales this morning [-X and I think I need to do several HMs in order to restore some balance and get things moving again on the meter board. Need to get into shape for Madchester!
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Seems like I only just got back and I'm off again. This time it's back to Alvor in Portugal. Jennifer is already over there with her friends and I'm heading over this afternoon while her friends are coming home.

Hope to do some erging while I'm there, but it's currently 36 degrees, so it should be quite challenging. Looking forward to the usual mix of nice walks, great restaurants, lively bars and late night karaoke. Might even get a bit of sun while I'm over there and a dip in the ocean.

Paul V
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Enjoy your holiday Paul - I admire anyone who can even think of erging when it's 36 degrees.

Several years ago, I watched a programme about the cork trees of Portugal and have just read an article to refresh my memory.

The cork oak forests have a very important ecological role as they aid water retention, soil conservation and carbon storage. This in turn supports a wide diversity of flora, many with culinary and medicinal properties and fauna, including the endangered Iberian Lynx.

So Paul, when you are nicely relaxed and lifting a glass of wine to your lips, you'll be doing your bit ... :D :wink:

Safe journey.

Jill :)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Jill wrote:Enjoy your holiday Paul.

The cork oak forests have a very important ecological role as they aid water retention, soil conservation and carbon storage. This in turn supports a wide diversity of flora, many with culinary and medicinal properties and fauna, including the endangered Iberian Lynx.

So Paul, when you are nicely relaxed and lifting a glass of wine to your lips, you'll be doing your bit ... :D :wink:

Safe journey.

Jill :)
Thanks Jill

I always knew there was a sound ecological reason why I drink so much wine when I'm in Portugal! :lol:

Paul V