Films

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Films

Post by plummy »

I watched Chronicle on a 32" TV so the camera work didn't bother me at all and I'm sure my "expectation" level played a major part in my level of enjoyment. Cloverfield - agreed - unwatchable in the cinema (my daughter felt sick and had to leave owing to the "handycam" style).

Another example re expectation level was Indpendence Day - I was expecting an awesome SciFi fest and got the biggest load of cheesefest ever - hated it (the first time I saw it) but didn't think it too bad second time when I knew it was pitched at 9 year olds
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
plummy

Post by plummy »

Star Trek - Into Darkness. Went to see this at 10:30 this morning (my favourite cinema visiting time) and have to say I loved it. Best film of the year by far for me.

Now, I freely admit that I grew up whilst it was first shown and although not a "trekkie" I was certainly a fan of the show (though not so much the spin-offs as they all got a bit too talky/philosophical) but I was worried that my expectation level was soooo high that it would miss by only a fraction and I would feel a bit disappointed - but not a bit of it.
OK - you've got to suspend you're disbelief a bit and there are a couple of little bits where I thought "ah - come on!" but, if you know and loved the original series and the earlier films this is great stuff with one moment (for me) of what I would best describe cinematic perfection (real Boys Own stuff) - and I KNEW it was coming and it still got me =D>

I can't say more for fear of spoilers - but - knowing the older stuff does help with the story.

JJ Abrams - I'm happy that you will be steering the new Star Wars movie - it is in great hands ^O^
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Plummy, you are clearly not a paid up member of the Star Trek club. They call themselves "Trekkers" and get very upset if you call them trekkies.

I've not seen that film but my kids have and report that it exceeded expectations.

I have though seen The Great Gatsby.

Despite what the critics say, I loved it. As a visual spectacle its both massive and atmospheric where required and has that slightly surreal quality to it that I always imagined in the book.

The acting, with one exception, is very good. DiCaprio is brilliant as the self invented man hiding an obsessive and latently violent nature. The narrator and boorish husband all held their end up well. The disappointment was the Daisy Fay character. I don't know her full name - something Mulligan?

Daisy is meant to be shallow and indecisive and perhaps a little wanton (great word that) and whilst she did the shallow piece well, the rest was pretty forgettable.

Anyway - no spoilers but recommended.

The director also did Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman and Obi wan Kenobi. She was great. He was irritating.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Saw "Hyde Park on Hudson", starring Bill Murray and Laura Linney, last weekend. Quite enjoyed it.

It is a British historical biography which details a visit by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to America in 1939, the purpose of which was largely to gain American/President Roosevelt support for the UK in the anticipated war.

It is told from the perspective of one of Roosevelt's (many) mistresses.

I don't generally go in for movies, preferring audio drama, but one of the things movies can do which radio can't, is convey body language and facial expressions, and this movie does that well. I thought the cinematography and acting were superb, particularly by Samuel West (King George VI) and Olivia Coleman (Queen Elizabeth).

Don't know how true-to-life the story was, as my knowledge of all the characters is severely limited, but I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
webberg

Post by webberg »

Zoot, the film suffers from the usual Hollywood interpretation of history and in this case, the Royal visit probably played a small part in bringing the US into the war but if Pearl Harbour had not happened then I suspect it would have made little difference.

The film though does play very well on the US' love of pomp and circumstance and visually is impressive.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

webberg wrote:Zoot, the film suffers from the usual Hollywood interpretation of history and in this case, the Royal visit probably played a small part in bringing the US into the war but if Pearl Harbour had not happened then I suspect it would have made little difference.
Thanks. Good to know. 8)
webberg

Post by webberg »

I will recommend a film called Garden State.

Not available in the cinema so a DVD. One of the best films I've seen in the last 5 years.

Go and watch it.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
webberg

Post by webberg »

On holiday recently and saw several films on the plane and in the cinema.

On the plane:

Hansel and Gretel - action packed, fantasy escapism, perhaps 6/10
Olympus has fallen - action packed, Saturday night film with some really bad parts, perhaps 6/10
Parker, - action packed, unbelievable, bad acting, predictible, perhaps 4/10
Jack Reacher. - complete dog and travesty, perhaps 2/10
Skyfall, first time I've seen it, quite impressive, enjoyed it, perhaps 8/10

In the cinema:

Pacific Rim, lots of fighting, cringeworthy dialogue, kids enjoyed it as we had a meal in the cinema whilst watching the film! perhaps 7/10

ET, first time I've ever seen it. This was outside in the Mall in Washington, free, warm evening, perhaps 3 thousand people. The experience was great, the film pretty good bearing in mind its age. perhaps 7/10
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
plummy

Post by plummy »

Went to see Elysium a week or so ago and soooooo wanted to love it as I thought District 9 (previous film by the same guy) was brilliant. I have to say it was good-ish but overall a bit of a let down. Visually it had a similar look to District 9 AND i LURVE a good spaceship design (proper, industrial, purposeful design, not just something pretty) - and these were excellent. (I do wish Hollywood would learn that once in space you can TURN THE BLOODY ENGINES OFF - THERE'S NO GRAVITY OR DRAG ANYMORE!!!!!)
6 out of 10 (and a bonus of 1 for the spaceships). Less one for Jodie Fosters character and seemingly huge arse

A little gem I watched on holiday was The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. A film I really wasn't fussed about but with it being on the big screen on the ship I thought I'd half watch it whilst reading a book. Within 5 minutes I was more watching than reading and within 10 I had put my book down - 8 out of 10

I agree with Webberg about Jack Reacher (although I do have a soft spot for Rosamund Pike)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote: I agree with Webberg about Jack Reacher
I've read all the books and this has to be the worst piece of casting ever. I mean ever! I watched about 15 minutes of it on Sky during the week and I just don't understand why Cruise was chosen to play a character one of whose chief characteristics is that he's built like a brick sh**house and nobody messes with him with impunity.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
webberg

Post by webberg »

Saw Runner, Runner this week.

Interesting concept, poorly executed just about sums it up.

This could be a really clever film with a lot of tension and edge of the seat stuff.

Instead it's been dumbed down which makes it predictible and boring.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Went to see Captain Phillips yesterday. Highly recommended. Another power house performance from Mr Hanks 8)
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

My daughter went to see that also - even she rated it highly. I think it's a must see!

Watched After Earth on Saturday - wished I hadn't as it's a pile of pish
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Stan

Post by Stan »

I quite enjoyed that one Plummy.
pb times
webberg

Post by webberg »

we went to see Ender's Game yesterday.

Out of 5 stars, they lose one because THERE IS NO NOISE IN SPACE!

They lose another because they missed out a lot of what is in the book and which contributes to the moral message but more irritatingly, they put things in that are not in the book.

Lose another for miscasting Ender. The boy (Asa Butterfield) is a bit of a wimp and does not carry the menace that the book character has. He is just not credible as a ruthless winner.

They gain one for Harrison Ford who I thought was very good.

So 3 stars.

I'd be interested in the views of those who have not read the book.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan

Post by Stan »

Went to see it this afternoon Graham.
I have not read the book so I did not have any preconceived ideas about it. Agree they did well with casting Harrison Ford. I felt the lead character was unconvincing. I did enjoy the film though and the ending was a surprise. I think I will get the book though and see what the proper story is.
update: just bought the book on kindle - will let you know what I think.
pb times
webberg

Post by webberg »

Ha!

Another one falls to the lure of science fiction!!

Bear in mind that the book has created a body of work on the plots and motives and people have even written PhD's based on it.

It is also significant that the original story was a short one in a 1971 magazine. Later updated and novelised in 1985 and updated again in 1991.

The later two upgrades were at a time of the US being in conflicts in various parts of the world and the anti war brigade (oxymoron?) jumped on it as "justification" of the harm that such wars do to the young. not sure the author had quite that interpretation but he has been very sparing in explaining his motives.

When you finish, try Starship Troopers. Similar theme treated in a different way but defo an anti war book.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
plummy

Post by plummy »

Starship Troopers - laughed my nuts off first time I saw that. One of the best daft but great popcorn movies
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Stan

Post by Stan »

I read starship trooper quite a few years ago just before the film. Not sure the film had any right to base itself on the book as there the resemblance was very tenuous at best. Agree with Plummy that its an enjoyable film, but no relation to the book which was pretty thought provoking.
Another favourite scifi book of mine was the Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It spawned a sequel not so long ago which was not so good.
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

Not a new film but one of those that no matter when I catch it on, I can still watch it and thoroughly enjoy - Thirteen Days - about the Kennedys and the Cuban Missile Crisis. Even better knowing that is is based on very real events
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Stan

Post by Stan »

Went to see Gravity yesterday. Excellent film with great performances from Clooney and Bullock. Definitely needs to be seen in 3D.
I know Graham wont approve of the sound effects, but they are necessary to add to the dramatic effect.
pb times
webberg

Post by webberg »

Correct, Stan, I don't agree with the sound effects, nor that they are necessary.

Have you seen "2001"?

Brilliant film from a great book and with no noise in space.

I've not seen Gravity although my boys say it's very good, but is it better than 2001?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan

Post by Stan »

Went to see the new hobbit film yesterday. Very enjoyable but much like the first one last year it has a lot of embellishments - some of which work and one or two which don't, but you cant please everyone!
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

webberg wrote:Correct, Stan, I don't agree with the sound effects, nor that they are necessary.

Have you seen "2001"?

Brilliant film from a great book and with no noise in space.

I've not seen Gravity although my boys say it's very good, but is it better than 2001?
Sorry about the slow reply on this one Graham. Yes 2001 was a great film and the no noise in space thing worked for that film. I don't think it would have worked for star wars though!
I suppose one could always watch gravity with sub titles and no sound. That could be interesting.
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

Watched Man of Steel last night and was pretty underwhelmed. So much of it just seemed like so many other movies and the ***spoiler alert*** - the endless fight scenes just got boring.

Can't remember if I reported on Pacific Rim - one of the worst, most predictable piles of rubbish I've ever wasted time and money on.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"