Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Daz
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Beginners

Post by Daz »

paulgould wrote:Daz,
That is some excellent advice from Graham above - you don't need to over-complicate things.
Forming a habit of doing regular exercise is the most important step - everything will fall rapidly into place after that - you will start eating better, sleeping better(extremely important, and often overlooked) and as the weight comes down you will get more supple and technically proficient.
In my opinion, and I know many will disagree with me, all the HR monitoring and exertion scales etc are for professionals and top amateurs who are running around at 6-8% body fat.
Anyway , very well done on taking the first steps to improving your health and just keep at it - consistency is the key.

Paul G
Hi paul,

thank you for the help and comment, it is always very much appreciated to receive the input of those who have been living and breathing the lifestyle i want to try and emulate.

i have been eating really clean and well for a while but the routine is still not there, re meal times, I am still tweaking the component ingredients etc etc same with the sleeping, but i suspect purely the physical exertion of taking exercise has helped settle my sleeping pattern.

At the moment with exercise, well, rowing, I do other exercise besides but nothing with the intensity that rowing can bring, I am still building a routine re muscular aches and pains, so just having rest days when my body says i need to rest as opposed strictly following a written out plan etc but I will be doing some this evening after resting yesterday and feeling much better for it.

it will take time, like all things, but just trying to gather as much support and motivation and measurements around me is just my way of trying to keep my head in the game for the long term, if you see what i mean. I can not and will not go back to where i was, that is not an option :D

Anyway, I know I keep repeating this but I appreciate the way everyone has provided me with their time and advice to support my journey and help me get into this rowing lark, it has been a brilliant experience (to be fair, I found the welcome as equally warm during my last appearance here which turned out to be a false start :oops: )

If nothing else, i will keep on the erg just so i can get my hands on a freeby t-shirt at some point :lol:
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Daz wrote:

but am also frustrated by the fact i can't get properly stuck in and compete and enter online rows (I could do that, but I don't want to leave everyone else hanging around while i complete my row lol) anyway, yer thats about where I am at at the moment.

Daz there are always timed row pro sessions ie 30 mins most days so no problems there, or you can just set up your own session online and post the details on here a few days in advance. it's much more fun rowing online mate

SUGAR I hate computers :oops:

Good to see you back Paul.
Daz

Post by Daz »

I haven't been able to manage a 30 minute row yet, about 23ish minutes, perhaps 25 at a push, but obviously not that far off it.

It's not that I couldn't do it in terms of muscles giving up or lungs but my bum starts to go numb and legs feel weird... too much weight pressing down on a small seat is the issue... I have a seat pad but that makes it worse.

I will toughen up in time and not be so delicate lol
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Hi Daz,

I was wondering if you know about the Interactive Weight Loss Programme on the Concept 2 UK website. If you submit your weight, your level of fitness, the weight you want to lose and the number of sessions per week you can/want to do, a programme is generated for sessions at different heart rates.

For instance, if I enter I want to lose 20 kgs, doing 5 sessions per week, and I'm unfit, I get a 26-week programme, starting like this:

Week 1: 2 x 10' UT2--- 2 x 11' UT2--- 2 x 12' UT2--- 2 x 10' UT2--- 2 x 11' UT2
Week 2: 2 x 15' UT2--- 1 x 30' UT2--- 1 x 35' UT2--- 2 x 15' UT2--- 1 x 30' UT2
Week 3: 2 x 20' UT2--- 40' UT2--- 2 x 25' UT2--- 2 x 20' UT2--- 40' UT2

You get mostly timed intervals, where you can let your heart rate drop in between intervals. In later weeks sessions at different heart rate bands are introduced. The last three weeks of this particular programme look like this:

Week 24: 4 x 15' UT1--- 4 x 9' AT--- 6 x 2' TR--- 4 x 15' UT1--- 4 x 9' AT
Week 25: 2 x 6' AT--- 2 x 12' UT1--- 2 x 8' AT--- 2 x 6' AT ---- 2 x 12' UT1
Week 26: 3 x 6' AT--- 2 x 18' UT1--- 3 x 7' AT--- 3 x 6' AT --- 2 x 18' UT1

I don't know how effective these Interactive Weight loss Programmes are, in terms of either general fitness or weight loss, but I followed such a generated programme for a while. Mine was 15 weeks long and I did the first 12 weeks of it (albeit without using a hrm). In the end, I found that the timed pieces/intervals become a bit boring after some time, but it gave me a start to build some fitness.

Maybe something like this would suit you. It could give structure to your exercising and lower the risk of running into a wall when you feel you have to better your previous workout all the time. You can just follow the heart rate training band for each session.

If you're interested (assuming you haven't checked it out already), it's here:
http://concept2.co.uk/weightloss/interactive

Best of success :fsgrin:
(am I allowed to use these special smilies already? :fsbgrin: )
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi Rodger,

I had actually looked at that previously but became intimidated by the use of heart rate data and ut1 etc etc, however, after reading the posts above and exploring it further I think I will go back and set up a plan for myself.

I am definitely lacking a structure at the moment so that would help no end with that aspect of it.

I will go over now and set it up.

Thank you mate, could be useful that.
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Daz wrote:Hi Rodger,

I had actually looked at that previously but became intimidated by the use of heart rate data and ut1 etc etc, however, after reading the posts above and exploring it further I think I will go back and set up a plan for myself.

I am definitely lacking a structure at the moment so that would help no end with that aspect of it.

I will go over now and set it up.

Thank you mate, could be useful that.
Daz, I think you can use the interactive weight loss plan without getting too fancy with HR. The plan seems to only use UT1 and AT sessions, so it's pretty simple.

Here is a handy translation table:
UT2: Think of this as a brisk walk. On the rower, a pace that you could sustain until your butt gives out without starting to really breath heavily.
UT1: Think of this as jogging. On the rower at the moment, I think this is probably the pace that you are rowing for your 23 minute sessions. You would be impressively sweaty and breathing hard by the time you are half way in.
AT: Think of this as running. On the rower, it would be a pace that you would be able to maintain for about 5 minutes before you desperately wanted to stop. If you had a gun to your head or someone attractive watching you, you could sustain the pace for another couple of minutes.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi Greg,

yes ut1 using that description definitely matches the general rate I sort of settle into. I have done a bit of AT but as it says, unsustainable and completely wiped me out for a while afterwards tbh.

Certainly makes it a bit clearer that way. I have inputted my details on the plan and it has churned out something for me to follow so I will give that a go tomorrow. I want to lose circa 5 stone by end of year so hopefully that plan will help me on my way.

Thanks for providing a simpler descriptive explanation of the ut1 and 2 bands, I don't remember losing weight when younger being this complex and in depth lol
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Daz wrote:Hi Greg,

yes ut1 using that description definitely matches the general rate I sort of settle into. I have done a bit of AT but as it says, unsustainable and completely wiped me out for a while afterwards tbh.

Certainly makes it a bit clearer that way. I have inputted my details on the plan and it has churned out something for me to follow so I will give that a go tomorrow. I want to lose circa 5 stone by end of year so hopefully that plan will help me on my way.

Thanks for providing a simpler descriptive explanation of the ut1 and 2 bands, I don't remember losing weight when younger being this complex and in depth lol
Now that we are old and sophisticated, much of the calorie burn is derived from the mental effort trying to understand the plans.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Daz

Post by Daz »

LMAO true that
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Daz, you also need to be aware that those of us who have been rowing for a while all have our own preferences and a massive tendency to talk bollocks at length.

Most people don't get into heart rate training until some time after they've learnt how to row. I think that you need to just focus on sitting on the machine regularly.

If the seat pad is not working, get a towel, put some bubble wrap inside it, fold until it fits the seat.

Do not have any of the towel loose over the seat. (If you do and it catches the rollers, the seat stops and you don't; to the detriment of your lower regions.)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Daz

Post by Daz »

hi webberg,

hahaha I have had that problem with long t-shirts...I quickly learned that lesson!

I won't get hung up on heart rate, basically, all i can do at the moment is all i can do kind of thing, so regardless of whatever plan says with regards heart rate, I am going to over-ride it with however how i feel, re if it says higher intensity, I wont be doing it if I physically can't kind of thing... just at my own pace ensuring i do some every time I feel i can.

I haven't been able to manage 2 x 5k this week, my energy levels are shot, could be the temperature, could be that i need more calories, but obviously with time and experience, the balance will be found.

Good tip about the towel though, we have lots of bubble wrap etc so i will try and rig something up and see how I get on, if i could sit on the seat for longer, i know i could row for longer, albeit at reduced intensity until fitness improves etc etc.

Thanks for the suggestion and other comments too, it has been great engaging with folk and getting opinions and advice and such like.
webberg

Post by webberg »

Missing days (especially in this heat) is fine.

As long as you feel the pull of the erg when your energy returns.

It's usually a good idea to mix things up in the gym anyway as your body adapts to one particular action and over time the benefit reduces.

Normally, I'd be doing 4 to 5 exercise sessions a week. That might be a spin (static bike), eliptical (cross trainer), an uphill walk and one or two rowing sessions.

At the moment I'm looking to do an "optimal" 1k at the end of August so I'm focused on the rowing.

Uphill walking on a treadmill is very effective for calorie burning.

Also sounds like you need a few more carbs.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Daz

Post by Daz »

I have heard that time and time again re to mix things up, keep it fresh, shock the body kind of thing to ensure progress is always occuring. My trouble is all I do is walk, row and use weights. I don't go the gym as such, so am kind of stuck with how to implement a change using those 3 methods.

All I can think of, and I have been thinking about it, is stop doing the 5k or whatever I am doing, and try different routines and mix it up in that sense, maybe go to the extreme of getting up in the early hours of the morning and doing a row (i have heard someone suggest that for shocking the body...using weights in that instance though but the idea should transfer to the rower?)

I am coming upto week 4 of rowing and weights so am expecting a plateau at some point soon

I walk 3 times a walk, doing 5 miles over those 3 walks combined (all I can do, and i have spent months building up to that lol), the rower and maybe 3 times a week a few chest, shoulder and arm exercises on the weights.

Food is chicken, turkey, tuna, sardines, soya protein, soya milk, salad and above ground veg.

I may introduce some brown rice, but wont go heavy on the carbs as my blood glucose only seems to be controlled on a low carb diet.

The heat at around the end of june / start of july was great for rowing, this humidity is what is killing me i think, well, it doesn't seem massively humid per se, but it is certainly taking it out of me at the moment.
webberg

Post by webberg »

Uphill walking is a great fat burner. I do this on a treadmill but sometimes outside if I'm home in time.

Variation in rows will help but not as much as doing a different exercise.

Reading back it seems that you should just focus on exercise of any description for now and perhaps in a few months bring in more variation.

Steady rate and pace pieces are fine for weight loss and learning the ropes.

You might though want to try say 10 strokes every 1k at a higher pace. If 23 minutes is your 5k time, that's 2:18 pace.

Do say 900 at that pace and then give the catch and drive some extra for the next 10 or so strokes so that the pace falls to say 2:13/14. Then go back to the normal pace. Do this at least once in every 1k.

This is the basis of interval training. This can get quite complicated but the idea is to raise and lower the heart rate such that the "work" part of the interval stretches the achievable heart rate a little further. Almost all professional and good amateur athletes in all disciplines use interval training to a degree as it's an efficient and proven way to improve.

For you Daz, it will liven things up a bit, show you how your body responds so that you understand more about how to transition from one pace to another (and one heart rate band to another), teach you how to control the stroke and technique and (probably) result in a slight adjustment in the sore spots between ar$e and seat each time which may help that problem.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi Webberg,

Oh right, I will try that re the 10 strokes at a higher intensity per 1k. I have to say, the time I worked up to 170 bpm, for two days afterwards I felt invigorated, whether it was the workout that I can attribute to that, I am not sure, but I definitely felt better than usual.

I have yet to explore different work out options such as intervals, but from what I understand concept2's weight loss programme for me features them, at least, to my understanding it is what the workouts in question are.

Anything that gives me a better understanding of what I can do, am doing and any improvements will be a good thing.

Thank you for all your help and advice, you are supremely patient ^O^ =D>
webberg

Post by webberg »

Daz, the C2 plan for you is an interval.

Looks like (if Rodger is right) an initial piece of 2 x 10 minutes at walking pace.

Not sure if there is a suggested gap between them but if so it's likely to be 2 or 3 minutes.

Any instruction that has more than one row piece will have a gap.

Different people will have different views on how long that gap is.

Personally I find more than 2 minutes gives me too much time to think about the next interval.

Sometimes longer is needed. There are some real tough sessions out there such a 4 x 2k. These are used in race training (because the standard race distance is 2k). Doing those as part of of a program to improve 2k time will demand perhaps 4 minutes between each.

Just remember 90% of EVERY workout is having the mental ability to get to the machine and sit down.

Once you're on that seat the rest is easy.

There is also the quote on one of our team mate's signatures (apologies but I forget who).

Athlete's row, others play games.

Worth remembering when the HD demons sit on your shoulder.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Daz

Post by Daz »

yer I thought it meant that, but again, the time rest between isn't stated, but obviously a bit of common sense will dictate 1-2 mins and how you are recovering etc.

i am trying to introduce intervals at the moment, I haven't set them up on the c2 or in rowpro, but I will get around to having a mess about and seeing what I can set up so it records things properly re times etc.

I am making sure i am getting on the rower as often as I can (but my overall distances have gone down this week which is annoying but I need to tweak my food intake I think as has been mentioned), that is definitely where most of the battle is waged. I remember many years ago when I used to go to the gym, it was the same then, actually getting to the gym was built up in my mind, a chore even at times, but once there and getting stuck in all that fades away and is replaced by the positive glow of knowing you have done a bit... the endorphins probably helped with that too lol
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Hi Daz,
Daz wrote:yer I thought it meant that, but again, the time rest between isn't stated, but obviously a bit of common sense will dictate 1-2 mins and how you are recovering etc.
I think 1 or 2 minutes rest between intervals might be a bit short. For weight loss, it does'n't really matter how long the rest between the intervals is. I would say, take as much as you need. Recover your normal breath, drink some water. Maybe get off the rower if your bottom is sore. And go again, when you feel ready.

For building fitness, the relation between rowing time and resting time is somewhat more important (although there seem to be different schools of thought on that). When I did the the Pete Plan for Beginners (the Pete Plan is a popular training cycle), there was an explanation of the recommended resting times in between the intervals that are beneficial to building fitness. For longer work at steady pace, which I suspect is what you're primarily doing in the beginning, it recommends a rest of a quarter of the time of the previous interval. So if you do intervals of 12 minutes, the rest in between would be 3 minutes. If you do intervals of 20 mins, rest is 5 minutes, etc.

Of course, if you use a heart rate monitor, you could follow the indications that the Interactive Weight Loss Programme gives:
Recovery Time Between Intervals
Full recovery between intervals can be considered as taken place when the heart rate has fallen to warm up level (twice resting rate). The intensity of interval-training can be increased by working to 90% or even 80% of full recovery.
Example - resting heart rate = 60bpm. Warm up rate = 120bpm
100% recovery = 120bpm go again
90% recovery = 132bpm go again.
80% recovery = 145bpm go again.

If I understand correctly, it gives you the choice between three levels of recovery.

Personally, I wouldn't bother about all this, and just take enough time to feel ready again. If the rest is too short, you risk having to 'handle down' during the next interval which is way worse, because it affects your motivation badly. 4 or 5 minutes would usually do the trick. :)
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi Rodger,

Thanks for that breakdown, as you suspect I am resting what I feel I am able to, but of course that varies, the prime concern is getting some metres clocked up. However I did try a couple of intervals over the last couple of days and found resting for 1-2 minutes was ok...obviously that was down to what I had been rowing, if harder and or longer then more rest would be needed.

I am ultimately happy just getting some exercise, but of course, I want it to be useful and while shifting weight is a pressing concern, I would hope to be building fitness alongside that. TBH my fitness is improving, obviously the caveat that as an objective measure my fitness is dire, but relatively over the past month and last few years, I am getting fitter all the time... I just want results faster than someone who could throw themselves headlong into a full on training programme... I need to keep reminding myself what size I am, how old I am and how long I have been unhealthy and unfit for.

I will get there, 4.5-ish stone off by xmas..watch this space!
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Welcome Rodger and Daz!

Been out of touch for a while... but that's a subject for a different post. :oops:
Glad to see my mates have been taking care of you. 8)

Well done to you both for starting and sticking with your programs! =D> =D> =D>
Rodger wrote:
zootMutant wrote:but for most people it doesn't really matter if they eat before or after rowing. There is some medical evidence that eating before rowing slightly raises your metabolic rate above where it would have been if you'd eaten after rowing... but I think of this as 'advanced' nutrition, i.e., something to think about after the most important elements of a health plan have become routine.
I see statements going around the internet of people saying that exercising on an empty stomach makes you burn 20% more calories than if you'd eaten breakfast, which seems a lot to me. So, there is no actual evidence for that?
Er... 20%? I'm not buying it. My take is that it is difficult to conduct physiological experiments with a high degree of precision because (1) we are all slightly different, (2) it's hard to get good baseline measurements, and (3) it's hard to hold all variables constant while changing only one at a time. I wouldn't be surprised to read a study concluding that 'fasting' resulted in a 3% increase in calories burned... and then read another study the next day concluding a light meal resulted in a 2% increase! These are minor squabbles. But 20%? If that were true, there would be no controversy.

My source for the above information was a summary of an article published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. Unfortunately, since it is just a summary, there isn't any hard data.

I think the best thing to do is listen to your body and choose whatever helps you stick with an exercise plan. :wink: Some people feel light-headed and dizzy if they exercise in the morning on an empty stomach... others feel nauseous if they eat anything within an hour of starting. Me? I like to eat some oatmeal or a banana 30-60 minutes beforehand...
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

paulgould wrote:Daz,
In my opinion, and I know many will disagree with me, all the HR monitoring and exertion scales etc are for professionals and top amateurs who are running around at 6-8% body fat.

Paul G
Glad to see your drifting though now and again, Paul!

Just curious... if you aren't using a HR monitor or an 'exertion' scale how do you judge the intensity of your workouts and decide whether you need to work harder or take a day off?

Cheers,
zoot
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

zootMutant wrote: if you aren't using a HR monitor or an 'exertion' scale how do you judge the intensity of your workouts and decide whether you need to work harder or take a day off?

Cheers,
zoot
I am not sure what Paul is going to say but it "MAY" sound a bit like this.

If I feel like I am breathing out of my ass I know I have been working hard so the next day I will row easier so that I can hold a conversation with somebody. The days off come when I can not be bothered that day. :wink:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

hewitt wrote:
zootMutant wrote: if you aren't using a HR monitor or an 'exertion' scale how do you judge the intensity of your workouts and decide whether you need to work harder or take a day off?

Cheers,
zoot
I am not sure what Paul is going to say but it "MAY" sound a bit like this.

If I feel like I am breathing out of my ass I know I have been working hard so the next day I will row easier so that I can hold a conversation with somebody. The days off come when I can not be bothered that day. :wink:
Exactly what I would have said Jason, except I would have spelt "ass" differently :) :) .

Zoot - my attitude is just keep it simple - I have done enough endurance based training over the years(and hit the wall several times) to be able to judge whether I am going at a sustainable pace or not.
Without attempting to be disparaging of ergers and enthusiastic sporting amateurs in general, I reckon 95% of participants(myself definitely included) would benefit far more from simply losing a bit of weight than obsessing about training plans and HR bands etc

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
webberg

Post by webberg »

Hard to disagree with Paul.

The key is just getting on the rower (or treadmill, cross trainer, bike) and doing something.

I'm an obsessive about numbers and data. I find that it help me if I can translate what I'm doing into something I can analyse. Means very little to anybody else, but it keeps me coming back to the rower.

There are days when I can't be ar$ed. Those days I might try something different in the gym :wink: , or sometimes just sit at home [-X .

:fsbgrin:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

hewitt wrote:If I feel like I am breathing out of my ass I know I have been working hard so the next day I will row easier so that I can hold a conversation with somebody.
But that looks like some sort of 'exertion scale' to me. Two levels of it anyway. Maybe the different views here are not that different after all. 8)
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg