Old Time Radio

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Old Time Radio

Post by zootMutant »

I have a passion for audio drama.

The BBC still produce some of the best audio drama in the world, but there was a time when quality radio shows were also produced in the United States, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand. The so-called 'Golden Age of Radio', or 'Old Time Radio' as it is known in the States, ranged from the 1940's to the 1960's and produced some high-quality drama (and some rather cheesy drama, as well).

I mention this because I manage a non-commercial website devoted to audio drama - primarily Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror/Thriller, and Action/Adventure. Now, some might consider this as a spam post, as I'm partially promoting my own website, but I believe there is a tie-in with rowing, and I hope I'll be forgiven.

Sometimes when I row, I listen to music (especially if I need a fast beat); sometimes, I just stare at the monitor (if I'm going for a PB or want a steady, even pace). But if I'm going for a long recovery row or a UT2 row for base fitness, I put on some radio drama and float far, far away.

But where to start? (There are hundreds of thousands of old radio programs floating around.) Well Jeff Dickson created the website to help answer that question and when he 'retired' I stepped in and took his place.

The purpose of the site is to provide information about different radio series, short plot summaries for specific episodes, and reviews from other listeners. I also offer a modest Listening Booth where I showcase a few episodes each week.

I do not sell or trade the actual episodes which I list (although I can help you find what you're looking for). I accept no payments or donations. My website is a labour of love. It is about passion; It is about helping to preserve a dying art form; It is about closing your eyes and using your imagination to create pictures is your mind; It is about an older way of life. (And it's about learning to write in Canadian!).

I have summaries for over 150 series.
I have plot summaries for over 1,500 episodes.
I have a page devoted to famous authors on radio (currently being overhauled).
I have a page with cd cover art.
I have some old pulp magazine covers.
I have a page with links to where you can download episodes and series (some are fee-based, but most are free).
I have a page with recommendations from other listeners.

If you are interested please visit my website. There are no advertisements. There are no cookies. There is no javascript, active content, or flash. Just words on a page...

Homepage
Overview
Plot Archives
What's New
Listening Booth

This week in the Listening Booth:
1. "Quest" written by Lee Harding; aired on the South African series, SF 68.
2. "Nature Study" written by Arch Oboler; aired on the US series, The Devil and Mr O.
3. "Claybourne" written by Jim McLarty and William Davis; aired as a stand-alone New Zealand production. (I'm half-way through posting this 96-part (9-1/2 hour) serial - I post 1 hour each week.)

And if anyone objects to this post, please let me know and I'll delete it.

Cheers,
zoot
Last edited by zootMutant on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Old Time Radio

Post by webberg »

Mr Mutant, what hidden depths and very good post.

I am addicted to radio and listen almost all day, every day. I very much prefer books and radio to TV as my imagination gets a great workout.

In particular I am a massive fan of sports radio in the UK.

Unfortunately the channel from the BBC is still an AM service and reception can be patchy but hearing the soccer on the radio remains one of the great pleasures in my life.

I have got some tapes (those long strips of magnetic plastic with analogue coding) of a very good BBC adaptation of Lord of the Rings from probably 25 years ago! It has been updated to CD, but it's not the same.

I'll certainly be giving your site a visit and thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Ach! I wish I'd looked this post up sooner.

Webberg - I recently posted the 1968 BBC version of The Hobbit and the 1982 BBC version of Lord of the Rings. I assume the 1982 version is the one you have on analogue tape. Unfortunately, I've taken them both down. :oops: If you are interested in listening I can repost them for you! (All material I post are recordings of free-to-air broadcasts - not rips of commercially-available CDs.)

I update the Listening Booth fortnightly (weekly for serials).

Right now I have:

"The Other Man" - 2000 Plus (1950)
"The Signal-Man" - Columbia Workshop (1937)
"The Potters of Firsk" - Dimension X (1950)
"The Moon Moth" - Seeing Ear Theatre (2000)

And I've also started posting episodes of the Steve Gallagher Trilogy, beginning with "The Last Rose of Summer". (I'm up to episode #2). "Hunter's Moon" and "The Babylon Run" to follow.

I especially recommend "The Signal-Man" and the Steve Gallagher Trilogy

Steve Gallagher Trilogy

A lengthy serial about the relationship between man and machine in a future where the lines dividing the two become increasingly, and more dangerously, blurred. Never is there a proper title for the trilogy mentioned, though some sources refer to it as the 'Last Rose of Summer Trilogy', perhaps because that segment was the original novel upon which the entire story evolved in radio form. Each segment of the trilogy contains its own story line, though naturally it makes more sense as a whole. The series is not actually from the BBC, but a product of Piccadilly Radio out of Manchester, UK.

"Last Rose of Summer, The" (1978) 2 hrs 30 min—In the future the world's population resides entirely in the City, a megalopolis controlled down to the minutiae of everyday life by Central Command, a supercomputer. A lowly nobody by the name of Mitchell decides that this just won't do. He embarks on a crusade to overthrow the system, hunted down by Randall, one of the hard core 'Elite', enforcers trained since birth to serve the State.

"Hunter's Moon" (1979) 3 hrs 20 min—The Central Computer destroyed, society is on the verge of collapse, only to be 'saved' by the advent of the Council, tyrants who have seized power in the vacuum. Randall, contaminated by his exposure to Mitchell, is packed off to a polar prison complex. Then a new threat emerges: an alien race arrives—the Wekk—who rape planets to build their Worldships. Having patterned Mitchell's persona into a mechanical simulacrum, they begin building an army of simulacra to overwhelm the Earth. The Council has even sold out to the Wekk to save their own hides. Only Randall, Lobo—a fellow convict—and the Mitchell simulacra stand in their way.

"Babylon Run, The" (1980) 1 hr 40 min—Hundreds of years later, in a time when Man has spread out to the stars, a commercial charter makes a forced landing on the Babylon asteroid, a luxury resort for the super rich. Their ship damaged, they are dismayed to find the complex abandoned due to an incoming 'something' on a collision course. If that weren't bad enough, there is mutiny brewing, and Babylon itself is not what it seems to be...

Homepage
Overview
Plot Archives
What's New
Listening Booth
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Spooky this, as Webberg went to the same school as me, albeit years after me as I am such an old crock :lol:

I too love listening to Five live football and 606 phone in, Alan Green et al, as I like to exercise my imagination too, I find that the commentators are not so good on the TV these days.

I also used to listen to Lord of the Rings way back but on live radio I think it was on Radio 4.

Michael Hordern was Gandalf and Ian Holm was Frodo, absolutely brilliant, at the time we lived in East Ham in London and we used to drive to Bedford's Park in Havering-atte-Bower on Sunday mornings for a run in the woods and listened to the episodes on the radio, really enjoyed it.

Thanks for bringing back such warm memories Graham and Zoot :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hi Alan, yes the Radio 4 version of LOTR was excellent. I have it on cd and occasionally get it out to listen to - I would be more than happy to lend it to you next time we meet up?
pb times
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Cheers Stan-great minds eh ?

I very well might take you up on your kind offer :D

Not in any great shape at the moment, might have a crack at the English in January 2014 :D

Might see you there if you are going :D
Stan

Post by Stan »

Probably.
Are you not going to Grimsby or Cardiff?
I will bring it up if we are both going.
pb times
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Stan, I have been to Grimsby the last 5 years, its a L_O_N_G way for me and I keep saying this is the last year, so maybe I'll go but maybe not.

There are a few tempting closer possibilities notably Bristol that I could actualy get to and from in a day, so I might do that this year in preference to Grimsby.

I'll be sure to let you know :D
Stan

Post by Stan »

I am tempted by both so keep me posted.
pb times