Pete Plan or Concept 2 ?

If you start a thread here, this is a commitment to maintain it (including a closing date if you require) and curate any entries.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Shaughnessy
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Pete Plan or Concept 2 ?

Post by Shaughnessy »

Trying to plan my training schedule for a 2k race. Would posters recommend the PP or the C2 training schedules ?
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Pete Plan or Concept 2 ?

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Key thing is whether you like time based or distance based training. I found the Pete plan simpler and more rewarding.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Shaughnessy
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Shaughnessy »

Thanks for that - the Pete Plan seems to have a lot more steady / hard sessions (so they term it) where the onus is on a single row with no intervals. The emphasis on C2 seems to be predominantly on interval work (TBH I do prefer the latter !)
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

I developed a shoulder injury about 18 months ago after following the Concept 2 program for a couple of months. Probably my own fault for overtraining, but intervals put a lot of strain on the joints.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Hi. And welcome to the forum Shaug. :D

I think they both have there benefits but i followed the C2 Interactive plan when i got my PB of 6:22.4. You will find that the IP takes you through different stages of your training plan. First it concentrates on the longer 10k and 60min for a few weeks to build endurance, then it goes onto the 5-6k type of stuff to help with your middle distance speed (were i got my 16:48 ..5k). Then finally it brings you into a secure knowledge of 2k training knowing that you can beat your previous PB. :D

The Pete Plan is eaqually as good if you like distances instead of timed pieces.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

This thread has a fair bit of detail / experiences about the Pete Plan v IP:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2601

Personally I prefer the Pete Plan as a) 2 interval sessions a week are enough for me since I also row on the water; b) I like the consistency of sessions so know what pace to target etc and c) I have a long OTW regatta season so the periodic IP plan where you peak for only a couple of big races doesn't suit me.

Horses for courses though, think doing either is better than following no plan and as long as you're putting the effort in you'll get results either way.

All the best
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides