WAARC - December 2012 - 5km

If you start a thread here, this is a commitment to maintain it (including a closing date if you require) and curate any entries.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

AlanS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: WAARC - December 2012 - 5km

Post by AlanS »

No further entries received, so the leaderboard above can be considered final.

Well done to Alan (not me) for the fastest actual time, and to Philip for the fastest adjusted time. But, of course, many congratulations to alan (not me) for taking overall honours. =D>

No female entries this month, I'm afraid. :(

The WAARC will take a break this month, so as to not interfere with anyone in final preparations for the Scottish and/or English IRC. It will return in February, however. :fssmile:
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Thanks for getting the WARC up and running Alan. =D> =D> I've enjoyed those that I've done and Looking forward to the next one.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

AlanS wrote:No further entries received, so the leaderboard above can be considered final.
And I managed to finish last, as predicted. :cry: :lol:

Hopefully, I'll be back in the swing of things by February and will target 2nd last.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
AlanS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by AlanS »

Paul Victory wrote:And I managed to finish last, as predicted. :cry: :lol:
I'd prefer to think of it as finishing 11th out of all the hundreds of males in Free Spirits. :fssmile:
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

AlanS wrote:I'd prefer to think of it as finishing 11th out of all the hundreds of males in Free Spirits. :fssmile:
Yes, that's a much better way of looking at it. :mrgreen:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

I echo Bills sentiments Alan-the other one, thanks for all you hard work =D>

Following last month's effort I got the Norovirus followed by a cold/flu bug thingy that refuses to go away so not likely to trouble the leaderboard this month :oops:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

strider77 wrote:I echo Bills sentiments Alan-the other one, thanks for all you hard work =D>

Following last month's effort I got the Norovirus followed by a cold/flu bug thingy that refuses to go away so not likely to trouble the leaderboard this month :oops:
I would also like to thank Alan for all the hard work.

I've no idea what a Norovirus is, bur I definitely have the cold/flu thingy that refuses to go away. :roll:
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Paul Victory wrote:
strider77 wrote:I echo Bills sentiments Alan-the other one, thanks for all you hard work =D>

I would also like to thank Alan for all the hard work.

I've no idea what a Norovirus is, bur I definitely have the cold/flu thingy that refuses to go away. :roll:
You can easily look it up on Wikipedia! :wink: We call it Roskilde-syge a.k.a. Norwalk disease with nausea, forceful vomiting, watery diarrhea, and abdominal pain. I missed it so far! [-o<
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Shang-Chi wrote:You can easily look it up on Wikipedia! :wink: [-o<
After hearing that brief description, I think I'm better off not knowing!
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Paul Victory wrote:
Shang-Chi wrote:You can easily look it up on Wikipedia! :wink: [-o<
After hearing that brief description, I think I'm better off not knowing!
:lol: maybe you can learn more. There's quite a bit to read from.

From Wikipedia:
Noroviruses are a genetically diverse group of single-stranded RNA, non-enveloped viruses in the Caliciviridae family.[1] The viruses are transmitted by fecally-contaminated food or water; by person-to-person contact;[2] and via aerosolization of the virus and subsequent contamination of surfaces.[3] Noroviruses are the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans,[4] and affect people of all ages.[4]
Norovirus infection is characterized by nausea, forceful vomiting, watery diarrhea, and abdominal pain, and in some cases, loss of taste. General lethargy, weakness, muscle aches, headache, coughs, and low-grade fever may occur. The disease is usually self-limiting, and severe illness is rare. A small number of people die, mostly the very young, elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.
Winter vomiting bug is a common term for noroviruses in the UK, because the virus tends to cause vomiting and to spread more easily in winter, when people tend to spend more time indoors and near to each other.[5]
After infection, immunity to norovirus is usually incomplete and temporary.[6] Outbreaks of norovirus infection often occur in closed or semiclosed communities, such as long-term care facilities, overnight camps, hospitals, prisons, dormitories, and cruise ships, where the infection spreads very rapidly either by person-to-person transmission or through contaminated food.[7] Many norovirus outbreaks have been traced to food that was handled by one infected person.[8]
Norovirus is rapidly inactivated by either sufficient heating or by chlorine-based disinfectants, but the virus is less susceptible to alcohols and detergents, as it does not have a lipid envelope.[9]
The genus name Norovirus is derived from Norwalk virus, which causes approximately 90% of epidemic nonbacterial outbreaks of gastroenteritis around the world,[10] and may be responsible for 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis in the United States
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Mikkel :~c
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Paul Victory wrote:Thanks Mikkel :~c
Excatly! The thought that some people, who isn't cleanly, toilet trained or housebroken after toilet visits, in out time of ages, is just unbelievable and makes me wonder if they have learned anything at all. :-k :~c :~c :~c It is grotty people who is blame for such epidemics. I heard about a restaurant in Copenhagen where the cook didn't wash his hands thoroughly after visiting the toilet, and made 300 guests sick. #-o He is now out of business for good, What an idiot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: