Armstrong 'stripped' of Tour de France Titles and Banned

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Armstrong 'stripped' of Tour de France Titles and Banned

Post by Mike Channin »

I think Froome suffered from a long season by the Vuelta, but did pretty well considering.

As for Wiggins, he's too big to be an out-and-out climber. But he hangs on well to limit his losses so he can pull back on the days that suit him more, like the time trials. I think the days of riders managing to excel on both the raw power of time trials AND the efficiency of climbing are now gone with the drugs they were probably taking to achieve such a difficult double act.

Let's see how Brad does next year (and what kind of course the TDF organisers choose).

Any guesses on mr clean, aka the spider?
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

And now the UCI have backed the USADA and officially stripped Armstrong of his entire career achievements. (so the concerns that they might not take a hard enough line have proved to be thoroughly unfounded - the statement by Pat McQuaid (UCI President) says it all "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling. He deserves to be forgotten.")
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

I am surprised. If the USADA story is true then it looks like UCI was complicit at a high level. I would expect a shakedown at UCI in the coming months.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I see he has now been asked to repay 7.5 million dollars in performance bonuses.
pb times
JonathanA
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JonathanA »

Stan wrote:I see he has now been asked to repay 7.5 million dollars in performance bonuses.
I suspect this may represent 'the thin end of the wedge'.
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

The interesting question with the UCI was how much was naivety/genuine unawareness, how much was looking the other way/head in the sand, how much was passive collaboration, and what degree of active collaboration/red handed guilt there was.

As he has managed to profit massively personally by cheating, I'd like to see him stripped of all the ill gotten gains. But if anyone has a sense of correctness, this should probably be given to appropriate charities instead, of which LiveStrong would be one.

Any takers on the clean guy on the podium question??? Or do you want the answer?
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

I haven't followed Miguel Indurain's career but I remember him as a prominent TdF rider back along. Is it him?

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Doc RowSlo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Doc RowSlo »

zootMutant wrote:I am surprised. If the USADA story is true then it looks like UCI was complicit at a high level. I would expect a shakedown at UCI in the coming months.
No chance!
Pat McQuaid will never resign. He's a really nasty piece of work who condemned Hamilton et al a few months ago with the revelations and now applauds them.
UCI were utterly complicit. No question.

As for next year's TDF...... Well Wiggo has already announced that the course doesn't suit him, so it's all down to whether Team Sky can help Froome defeat the drugs cheat Cuntador (sp intentional!)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Love it Lee!! I nearly typed that earlier. They're well onto him, and will be keeping such a close eye on his biological passport that he'll have to behave now. I think they nailed him over the steroid thing because they knew he was doping, but that was the only time he slipped up. I don't trust any rider that has ridden alongside armstrong in the last 10 years, or ridden for Astana. I also think vino should never have been allowed to race at the Olympics.

Bill, big mig was the era before. No one knows what they were all taking then. In the year after his last win, he got roundly battered and came about 6th, but pretty much everyone above him has been busted for drugs since, so who knows if he was clean and cheated out of a 6th win, or was doping like the rest. He did have a phenomenal rest HR or 28, so he may just have been a freak of nature.

And the clean rider is Escartin, aka the spider. Remember him from the late 90s. Not the most attractive rider, but boy could he climb!
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Mike Channin wrote:Love it Lee!! I nearly typed that earlier. They're well onto him, and will be keeping such a close eye on his biological passport that he'll have to behave now. I think they nailed him over the steroid thing because they knew he was doping, but that was the only time he slipped up. I don't trust any rider that has ridden alongside armstrong in the last 10 years, or ridden for Astana. I also think vino should never have been allowed to race at the Olympics.
Vino should not have been allowed to ride at the Olympics :roll: :roll: - what about David Millar then?
As far as next year's TDF goes - Froome has a good chance no matter how hilly (by TDF standards) they make it - they don't have the 20-30% gradients like they have in the Vuelta and the Giro where he can't match the pure climbers.
Wiggins will never win another grand tour, unless they neutralise all the climbs by putting them in the middle of the stages again, which made this year's tour the dullest it has ever been, imo.

Big Mig was an amazing physiological freak( a bit like Phelps) - even the Colombians couldn't shake him off on the mountains, and he just obliterated the field in the TT's.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I agree with the earlier rule that any drug cheat should have a lifetime ban from the Olympics, and that includes Millar, even though he is now a shining example of rehabilitation.

And I really hope that big Mig was the real deal, and a true sporting hero. And really a six time winner of the tour...