The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

That is interesting Tricia. Encouraged me to do some reading around & think about what I want to achieve.

Since weight loss is an aim this year for me & since interval training seems to have a positive impact in that area I'm going to swap the 8k steady session for a second set of the endurance intervals, then also swap days 4 & 5 over so that intervals and steady alternate. I need the long steady sessions as I know that mentally I'm weak on those as well as needing to improve my aerobic base.
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Spamuel
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Spamuel »

Did the 4X2K tonight and could have done with about 48hrs recovery :oops:

I did finish it though and averaged 1.53.6 an improvement of 0.1 on my previous best.
I joined for the rowing but stayed for the lycra
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Messed up the hard 10k again this morning by not eating breakfast. Surprise surprise - no energy to finish the row and handled down at 4k. I decided to rescue the day by trying a flat out 6k@24 this afternoon and managed an improvement to 24:09.5.
I felt much stronger this afternoon and it demonstrates the importance of getting your eating right as well as the rowing.
Rest day tomorrow then week 3 begins.
pb times
Spamuel

Post by Spamuel »

You enjoy the rest. Don't listen to the metre board, you are allowed a day off.
Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Derrylad »

Stan wrote:Day 5 week 2 - a steady 1hour at about pb +3.5. 14405 @26 spm. Heart rate averaged 131 with a maximum of 142.

Looking forward to hearing to hearing Robs bleatings about the 4x1k. Dont worry Rob - you will love it :wink: :lol:
Well that was fun ( NOT ).

I really do find these intervals hard going. I thought I would attack this at 1kPB split + 4 seconds as I have quite a few months to get my times down. Boy did that hurt ( very rare I go below 1:40 these days )

Managed the first 3 intervals OK ( Sweating heavily by the 4th ). About 250m into the 4th the handle slipped from my hand ( made a loud noise, nearly went flying off the end of the slide ), managed to stay on and continue but lost about 10 seconds ( Will do better next time ).

Splits were:

1k - 3:14.6 - Split 1:37.3 - MHR 156
2k - 3:13.9 - Split 1:37.0 - MHR 159
3k - 3:13.6 - Split 1:36.8 - MHR 163
4k - 3:28.1 - Split 1:44.0 - MHR 162

Avg = 1:38.8

( Was aming for 3:10 on the last interval - Oh well )

More pain to come on Thursday ( 4 x 2k - Double Errggggggg )

Rob.
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Spamuel

Post by Spamuel »

I reckon you've got the hardest two sessions in the same week there.

I've moved the 2ks and the 1ks apart as I think they're the hardest sessions in each set of intervals, it prevents the week of hell that they make together in my opinion.

Good row though Rob impressive stuff. I'd have been tempted to handle down on that last one if I was struggling so brilliant for finishing the set.
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Post by Derrylad »

I think you might be right on the 1ks and 2ks in the same week. Well I suppose HELL on happens on Mondays and Thursdays so still have some nice relaxing sessions to look forward to Heh heh!.

Mind you, in saying that, Saturdays are not much fun either ( although I prefer the longer distances )

How are you finding it so far ? I have changed all the off days ( ie, 8 -15k ) to 20ks at a slow pace ( mainly so I can burn the calories and sustain the weight )

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Spamuel

Post by Spamuel »

I'm on my third lap of the intervals now and it's been by far the toughest as I've hit my max level on most of them now. It's all about half killing yourself for small gains now I think.

The 2k set I had to work really hard to gain 0.1 on my over all split.

Over all though I'm improving and have recently got my 1k and my 500m pb down lower so that's good.

I've recently really been making more of an effort to row the long row a bit quicker so I improve my endurance. That's helped and so has once a week in the weights room.

The big test will be in a couple of weeks when I will take a 2K test as I've been stuck since october on 7.12.8 and having now got that near it since.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Impressive set of 1ks Rob - Your last interval was a bit unfortunate but to put in perspective its still faster than I have ever done a single 1k in :shock: If only I was a foot taller. Interesting that your heart rate data seems quite similar to my own.
Enjoying my rest day today. Short pyramid intervals tomorrow - should be fun :?
pb times
Spamuel

Post by Spamuel »

Did the 8*500's. Not too bad all things considered. I was aiming for 1.45.2 and ended up with 1.44.4 for a good improvement.

To be honest I was never really flat out and could have gone a bit quicker so pretty pleased.
garyn

Post by garyn »

A steady distance row of 10K 1:55.8 38:37 25 SPM.

Relatively pleased with that as it was my second best time at this distance ever but I felt in control throughout. I guess sub 38 minutes is my target.

tonight is the 8 * 500, my third round. IIRC i'm around the 1:42 avg for this set. The intervals are really starting to get harder.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Start of week 3 of the Pete Plan today with the short pyramid intervals. The aim for this piece is 2k-1 so I was looking for 1:49.?
This is how it went:
250 55.1 Avg HR 109, Max 132
500 1:50.5 Avg HR 132, Max 147
750 2:45.5 Avg HR 138, Max 155
1000 3:40.7 Avg HR 143, Max 160
750 2:45.4 Avg HR 138, Max 158
500 1:49.6 Avg HR 135, Max 154
250 52.9 Avg HR 128, Max 144

Avg Pace 1:49.9

The rest periods are 90s per 250m.

Quite enjoyed this one which probably means I did not put enough into it.
pb times
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Post by Derrylad »

Great going Stan. Funnily enough that is the one I am looking forward to. Never done a pyramid session before ( other than weights ). Great splits.

Keep it coming. By the way, looks like Jainser may ditch the C2 plan and come and join us lot ( heh heh! - Only a matter of time, he can obviously feel the force )

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Stan

Post by Stan »

Well it seems to be a good plan and I am sure the benefits are still to be seen. I would not knock other plans though - look at the amazing improvements in Thomas on the C2 plan last year.
The most important thing seems to be having a goal and for me having a structured plan is the way to achieve it. I would like to take 20 seconds off my 2k at BIRC and go sub 7. [-o<
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

Day2 week 3 and todays plan was 10k @ pb+3. Completed in 41:05.2 so just outside. Average heart rate was 138 with a maximum of 149 - just about inside the UT1 zone
pb times
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Post by Derrylad »

Good row stan: So are you going to take a rest day tomorrow or are you going to do a relaxing row ?

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Stan

Post by Stan »

Nope - no rest day tomorrow. The Pete Plan is 6 days followed by a days rest. That means I get Mondays off which suits me perfectly because thats always the day when the gym is most crowded. As only 1 of the 6 rowers has a pm3 thats the day I am most likely to find somebody else on it. I know intervals can be done on a pm2 but its much easier with a pm3 - especially pyramids.
Tomorrow will be an hour at a slightly slower pace than today. Friday is another pyramid session but the intervals are longer than Tuesday with 3k, 2.5k, 2k.
pb times
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Post by Derrylad »

Ive got the dreaded 4 x 2k tomorrow: Really not looking forward to it.

Probably get up early and do a relaxing 5k. Then I shall attack the intervals at lunchtime.

Looking for a 6:40 - 6:45 for the 1, 2 and 3 then will go for 6:35 for the 4th. Try and set this as my baseline. Seem to hold 1:40 pretty OK so will just set my pace at that.

Will not be doing anything heroic after Mondays escapade ( Don't intend to loose grip again ).

Although I really hate the intervals, I am still actually enjoying it as it is completely different to what I am used to ( totally out of my comfy zone ). I am currently only on rotation 2 so am really looking forward now to getting back to rotation 1 to see how I am fairing up. I intend to just stick to this until Mid December. Not bothered about metr munching ( as I was doing in the past ), really want to get the extra speed. I actually feel more relaxed with the current regime ( thought I would really hate it ). Already managed a really good 10k on Saturday and really surprised myself with the CTC time when racing the Glynster.

Lets just hope we all benefit from this. Would be really great. Cant wait to see you hit sub 7. Just keep at it.

All the best

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Stan

Post by Stan »

I seem to get on better with the long intervals than the short intervals which is probably a reflection of all the long rows I have done in the past year. Not too bothered about metre munching this year either but even so at 70k per week I could end up with a similar total to last year. The main difference will be far fewer half marathons so not quite so many points for the FS extreme league.
Good luck with the 4x2000 Rob and thanks for the good wishes on the sub7 2k - I know there is going to be a lot of hard work to do before that happens but I am convinced its possible.
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

Long pyramid intervals today which I found harder than expected for 5k+2 pace. Its been a hard week :-({|= Nevertheless the target was achieved so got to pleased with that. Times as follows:

3000m 11:48.4 Avg Hr 141, Max 154
2500m 9:50.2 Avg Hr 145, Max 155
2000m 7:50.3 Avg Hr 145, Max 157

Avg Pace 1:57.9

15 mins warmup and cool down brought total metres to 14534
pb times
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Nice one Stan, you seem to be doing really well sticking to plan, reaching targets, and posting good meters too.
Good to see, good luck with keeping it going!
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Well finally back on after a trip to Denver and a lot of jet lag and no great enthusiasm for a day or two.

Steady 10K today. 42.15 (PB + 2.5). Felt good for just a get on and go session.

4 x 2K tomorrow which is my worst session.
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Spamuel

Post by Spamuel »

5*1500's for me tonight in the freespirits kit for good luck. Averaged 1.52.5 for a 0.3 improvement. Very tough though.

Well done everyone on their good rows and good luck Alastair on the 2K's.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Well done on the improvement Spamuel.
Another bad attempt at the hard 10k today. Handled down at 5k and I was not even going at pb pace. No excuses like no breakfast - just simply was not there. I decided to redeem myself this afternoon with another go and managed 40:44.2. About 2 seconds off pb pace but at least I finished this time. I do not like handling down - its a bad habit to get into so I am pleased to finish this time.
pb times
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by kirbyt »

I'm not really rowing according to any organised sort of plan but I do 500m intervals every Saturday (not always looking forward to the weekend). My problem is I always seem to do them too fast. Or maybe I'm just too much of wimp to finish them. I'm supposed to do 8 x 500 but I usually do 4 x (barely) at around 1:36. I wonder if I'd be better off doing 8x at say 1:38.

P.S. : rest= 3 minutes active (wolverine plan, sort of)
54 years old probably around 77kg.